FREE FROM ORIGINAL SIN ?

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:25 pm
are you an alien ?
if so , you might be free from original sin , so says Father Funes, director of the Vatican Observatory near Rome .
since i am probably not an alien , i am out of luck .
hbg

Quote:
Vatican says aliens could exist
By David Willey
BBC News, Rome

The Pope's chief astronomer says that life on Mars cannot be ruled out.

Writing in the Vatican newspaper, the astronomer, Father Gabriel Funes, said intelligent beings created by God could exist in outer space.

Father Funes, director of the Vatican Observatory near Rome, is a respected scientist who collaborates with universities around the world.

The search for forms of extraterrestrial life, he says, does not contradict belief in God.

The official Vatican newspaper headlines his article 'Aliens Are My Brother'.

'Free from sin'

Just as there are multiple forms of life on earth, so there could exist intelligent beings in outer space created by God. And some aliens could even be free from original sin, he speculates.
Asked about the Catholic Church's condemnation four centuries ago of the Italian inventor of the telescope, Galileo, Father Funes diplomatically says mistakes were made, but it is time to turn the page and look towards the future.

Science and religion need each other, and many astronomers believe in God, he assures readers.

To strengthen its scientific credentials, the Vatican is organising a conference next year to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of the author of the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/7399661.stm

Published: 2008/05/13 22:08:27 GMT

FREE FROM ORIGINAL SIN ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,219 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:29 pm
You know, I was thinking the other day about WHY we needed to invent concepts like original sin?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:29 pm
All of my sin is original.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:36 pm
Quote:
You know, I was thinking the other day about WHY we needed to invent concepts like original sin?

wasn't it Antonio Banderas and Angelina Jolie who portrayed what original sin is ? i understand it was very profitable for them to practice some "original sin" .
too late for us - unfortunately .
hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:42 pm
hamburger wrote:
Quote:

wasn't it Antonio Banderas and Angelina Jolie who portrayed what original sin is ? i understand it was very profitable for them to practice some "original sin" .
too late for us - unfortunately .
hbg

I actually have no idea what you mean.

Some film or something?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:48 pm
for dlowan's further education in the fine points of "original sin" .

http://www.fuzzyopinions.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/WindowsLiveWriter/The10SexiestMoviePostersofAllTime_10626/original_sin_ver2%5B4%5D.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:07 pm
I worked around lots of aliens in the building trade. Most were from Mexico. I didn't get around to quizzing any on original sin.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:55 pm
hbg
Quote:
hbg

Only if you try to escape to our side of the lake.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 06:00 pm
farmerman wrote:
hbg
Quote:
hbg

Only if you try to escape to our side of the lake.
you farmerman who insist on eating with your bare hands instead of using your entrenching tools are giving advice to hamburgler? the horror!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 06:19 pm
seems like there might be plenty of "sin" on farmerman's side of the lake ...
dys and i should consider visiting there ... should be fun , fun , fun !
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 05:01 am
I was up late doing my work and I tuned into George Nori. The topic of the night was all about how the Church, and several other governmnts seem to be getting us prepared for the news that "THEY ARE AMONG US".
The Ufologists are having a field day with how the church has begun this major shift in its dogma to include intergalactic visitation. The discussion ensued that , perhaps, aliens are actually angels.

I turned on an all night jazz station.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 07:53 am
Quote:

Source

Well, the catholic church always was #1 when it comes to hyhypocrisy. I was surprised when I found out they still believe in purgatory and now this. A laughable relic.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 09:06 am
Quote:
purgatory

better watch out !
0 Replies