That Miley Cyrus photograph.

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 01:57 pm
I'm fighting off a huge wave of depression and normally I'd go for a walk but I'm waiting for a phone call so I'm stuck here so I thought I'd talk about that Miley Cyrus photograph.

Appropriateness/inappropriateness/celebrity scandal aside, I don't think it's a very good picture. I think Annie Lebovitz is a really good photographer so I'm not really getting her defense of it as "art".

I'm thinking the whole thing was orchestrated to create controversy.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,879 • Replies: 107
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:01 pm
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/art/2008/04/miley_cyrus.html

I dont see all the hooplah about it either.

I find the photo boring and nothing more then a photo-shopped snapshot.

done for attention?
I agree
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:02 pm
Oh I don't know...all I know is that a 15 year old has no business having her picture taken in just a sheet. Good grief. Though it wouldn't be surprising that they did it to stir controversy and boost sales and interest...though the girl has plenty of money and quite the following - so I don't know why they would risk losing that following at this stage...the following is mostly teeny-boppers...and now probably pedofiles. kidding - sorta
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:05 pm
I agree that it's not a great picture.

I think there was some callous orchestration and some real not-getting-it-ness.

The main thing I object to is the whole trystiness vibe. The tousled hair, the lipstick (which seemed a little smeared in the small online photo I've seen -- maybe it's just how big her lips are), the apparent bedroom setting (I say "apparent" because evidently it was actually outside, with a backdrop). Plus her expression. I think she (Miley) actually thought she was just looking "pretty," but all together it's way too icky.

Anyway, I think they wanted a somewhat genre-bridging photo -- kid to adult. I think that was calculated. I think Annie went a bit far, purposely, to make it more "interesting," and that there are people who should have figured that out, and didn't.

I've seen reference to another photo where she was leaning against her dad that was worse, I haven't seen that one. Just the one where she's in the satin bedsheet.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:22 pm
Yeah, there is an ick factor but I'm not buying that it was all a big misunderstanding.

When Annie Leibovitz shoots a session it isn't like the lady shows up with a camera and a few lights -- she has, no kidding, about 50 assistants who go with her.

Most of her work is very creative. This photo is the kind of boring thing that just about any photographer could do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:27 pm
is it REALLY possible that this was just not supposed to reach the public eye..

maybe the photo set up / idea ( sheet, out of bed look) was mileys idea
and Annie just... I dont know.. entertained her.. ?

there are no other photos from the session offered so we have no clue why this one was taken, or if it is the only 'boring , not quite her style' photograph in the entire set..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:35 pm
in the months before the vanity fair pic came out, quite a few private pics of miley were floating around the internet, myspace and facebook type pics of her pulling down her tank top to show her bra, posing in a tank top and underwear and pulling the top up, that sort of stuff, really harmless but not quite what disney wanted for their top draw

disney and miley were doing some quiet damage control, and things seemed fairly cool, then the vanity fair pic, by itself it wouldn't have been a big deal, but given the other pics, it sort of rekindled the fire

as for the vanity pic, it's interesting, it makes her look like a vampire
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 02:52 pm
Ohmygosh. You're completely right! She DOES look like a vampire!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 03:01 pm
I can understand an attempt to juxtapose the grown-up with the little girl.

It's just that she really IS a little girl.
0 Replies

Iknownothing

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 03:07 pm
DrewDad wrote:

It's just that she really IS a little girl.

exactly Shocked
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 03:08 pm
I dunno... it doesn't affect my life at all so I don't care what she poses as. It is what it is.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 03:12 pm
Mame wrote:
I dunno... it doesn't affect my life at all so I don't care what she poses as. It is what it is.

We're being art critics, not trying to save the world.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 03:16 pm
Ahhh... well then, I thought the composition was wonderful... did you notice the negative space? Very well done.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:18 pm
Mame wrote:

I mean no disrespect but I'm always curious about responses like this. Why does anyone join a thread if they just don't care about the topic?

Anyway....

I really thought the composition was pedestrian. I mean we're talking Annie Leibovitz here. She makes $10,000 a session. She does fabulous and creative stuff. This photo was boring.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:22 pm
Well, I'm always curious why people post these kinds of topics. I mean, who cares? Lots of **** goes on and you can't care, talk or post about everything. Obviously this meant something to you, so you posted about it. Fair enough. My addition was just another opinion that you could discuss or not. What does that photo matter to you, in your life, in your world? That's all I was asking. It meant nothing to me whatsoever, like lots of other issues. Like someone's dress at the Oscars. Big nada. So Mylie is photographed in that manner. So what? I don't get the issue here.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:24 pm
And sorry, I reread about your feelings (depressed). I don't mean to demean or dismiss you or your views. And I don't normally join in these kinds of topics. It's just that kind of day for me.

No offense mean, boomerang.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:28 pm
S'ok.

I was just trying to distract myself. I couldn't really think of anything else to talk about that wouldn't make me crazy and I've been wondering if people thought that was really a good photo or not.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:31 pm
the problem is that you dont care man!

THATS THE PROBLEM

you dont care

ohhh my, what is this world coming too

this is good gossip stuff. News worthy stories. Late night conversation pieces

and you dont carrrrre

( falls over dramatically )
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:32 pm
<snork>

But I care about you, shewolf. Please get up.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 05:34 pm
No, let her lay there in the dirt where she belongs.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » That Miley Cyrus photograph.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:41:58