dead & gone

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:08 pm
I actually experience no particular sense of loss, with the sole exception which i mentioned that i regret not having seen one of my cousins for more than 20 years.

Your question about intent suggests that human actions are purposive. It is my experience that few human actions are purposive, and that even those which people believe to be may well have been manipulated by others, or to have been the product of cultural indoctrination. At all events, people are most often moved by "needs"--food, sex, drugs, stimulation. I suspect that intent, as with meaning, is in fact the imposition of a personal narrative on the events of one's life.

I don't suggest than none of us ever do anything which is the product of our conscious desires--only that it is difficult to know that there is anything validly descriptive which is not the product of our constant narration (usually to ourselves, sometimes to others) of the course of our respective lives. My oldest brother used to refer to it as "running one's tapes." Catch him apparently wool-gathering, and he would reply something to the effect of: "Huh? Oh, nothing, i was just running my tapes."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:15 pm
The Myth of Sisyphus..........

Liberation in futility?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:19 pm
Not necessarily . . . that would imply that life ought to be purposive, that it ought to have meaning, although it might not. I am suggesting that i don't see any reason to assume that life must have meaning, and that living is the only obvious purpose of life. Nothing i have surmised was intended to suggest that life is futile. Life is its own reward.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:28 pm
I'm gonna find myself a girl
Who can show me what laughter means
And we'll fill in the missing colors
In each other's paint-by-number dreams
And then we'll put our dark glasses on
And we'll make love until our strength is gone
And when the morning light comes streaming in
We'll get up and do it again
Get it up again

I'm gonna be a happy idiot
And struggle for the legal tender
Where the ads take aim and lay their claim
To the heart and the soul of the spender
And believe in whatever may lie
In those things that money can buy
where true love could have been a contender
Are you there?
Say a prayer for the Pretender.
Who started out so young and strong
Only to surrender.

Snippet from Jackson Browne: "The Pretender"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:42 pm
If you intend to imply that people who think as i do are "happy idiots," which it would appear would be simply because i don't agree that there is meaning to life, or ought to be, i cordially invite you to bite me.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:57 pm
My post was more in response to the general question, than a comment on your viewpoint, however (in humor) don't let me get in the way of a good thing if you have priapism.....
0 Replies