baddog1

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 12:58 pm
Interesting - the shape of the structure of a family of proteins named laminin. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,478 • Replies: 17
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 10:03 pm
Why?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 06:28 pm
it looks like a cross, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:00 am
And what is the significance of a cross?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 07:25 pm
it looks like it.... i suppose it could belong to the cult of the Persian god of the sun "Mithra" or several roman gods, and quite a few egyptian ones, or it could just relate to the letter "T", which is short for "Tea", as in teatime, meaning don't skip it and possibly just possibly it could relate to the cross that mythical jesus wasn't crucified on as it more than likely was a "T" shaped piece of wood, that is if it happened at all.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:21 am
Jesus was executed on a stauros, Gr., meaning stake. There is no justification to assume it was in any shape other than a pole.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:08 am
neologist wrote:
Jesus was executed on a stauros, Gr., meaning stake. There is no justification to assume it was in any shape other than a pole.

I did not realize this neo. What was done with Jesus' hands, arms, etc. during the execution? I assumed that part of the reasoning behind the cross was for proper weight distribution & balance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:12 am
baddog1 wrote:
neologist wrote:

I did not realize this neo. What was done with Jesus' hands, arms, etc. during the execution? I assumed that part of the reasoning behind the cross was for proper weight distribution & balance.

What could possibly lead you to believe that the Romans cared about "proper weight distribution and balance" when they were executing someone by a means intended to suffocate them from the inability to properly use the muscles of the pulmonary system?

That is, of course, leaving aside the fact that Pilate had no authority to execute anyone, and if he had, would have been obliged to send the accused to Syria for trial and execution.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:14 am
Setanta wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
neologist wrote:

What could possibly lead you to believe that the Romans cared about "proper weight distribution and balance" when they were executing someone by a means intended to suffocate them from the inability to properly use the muscles of the pulmonary system?

If you were being executed (most particularly if intended to be a slow-death) - don't you think that you would throw a fit? Wriggling, writhing, twisting, doing whatever you could to escape? By securing one's arms outbound; movement would be much limited, thus reducing the opportunity for the stake to be swayed side to side.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:26 pm
Not my idea.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/religions/pagan/images/pole%20crucifiction%202.jpeg
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 06:54 am
I'll note the hilarity of the research that must go into these creationist "finds". This is like seeing Jesus in a cheese sandwich only in this case one actually has to fudge quite a bit - the cross-like model listed is only one of many possible representations and conformations and the one they glom onto because it looks like Jezus's cross is one of the most simplified versions (simplified = accuracy sacrificed for abstract utility).

Here's some actual laminin for an idea of the floppiness: http://flux.aps.org/meetings/YR98/BAPSMAR98/vpr/lncopy.jpg .

Of course someone will inevitably try to say it's close enough, which kinda misses the point, eh?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 07:19 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
I'll note the hilarity of the research that must go into these creationist "finds". This is like seeing Jesus in a cheese sandwich only in this case one actually has to fudge quite a bit - the cross-like model listed is only one of many possible representations and conformations and the one they glom onto because it looks like Jezus's cross is one of the most simplified versions (simplified = accuracy sacrificed for abstract utility).

Here's some actual laminin for an idea of the floppiness: http://flux.aps.org/meetings/YR98/BAPSMAR98/vpr/lncopy.jpg .

Of course someone will inevitably try to say it's close enough, which kinda misses the point, eh?

Ah, you beat me to the punch. I found it rather suspicious when I saw a cartoon of laminin, as cartoons tend to be idealised representations of a protein.

Even more suspicious was the fact that the particular post I went to, I found they had the picture the wrong way up to deliberately invoke an image of the cross:

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/laminin.asp

Looks more like a sword to me, especially the bulky C terminal end. And if you look more closely, it's three strands and the two intertwined strands are more reminiscent of a caduceus. Not to mention that the shorter arms bind to other molecules of laminin to form laminin sheets, so in the body, you're not going to find a natural cross-shaped protein on its own.

Besides, the human mind is prone to seeing patterns and shapes where there are none, or drawing similarities where there are none.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 08:56 am
baddog1 wrote:
If you were being executed (most particularly if intended to be a slow-death) - don't you think that you would throw a fit? Wriggling, writhing, twisting, doing whatever you could to escape? By securing one's arms outbound; movement would be much limited, thus reducing the opportunity for the stake to be swayed side to side.

You still don't understand the actual mechanism of execution. When one is strung up by one's wrists, with the full weight of the body hanging down and outward, the muscles of the pulmonary system cannot properly operate. You'd not be wriggling for long, but it would still take a long time for you to suffocate.

The chances of swaying the stake from side to side would be slim to none. The Romans had places of execution in which they erected the posts from which people were executed. They well anchored.

The errors in depiction of the alleged execution of the putative Jesus are just part of one more reason to consider the entire dog and pony show to be so much horsie poop.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:46 am
Is it bad that I found that part of the "Bullshit!" (Penn & Teller) episode with the guy recreating the crucifixion completely and utterly hilarious? It's like painful humor: the guy's an MD but wears his official white coat for the presentation + camera and proceeds to "simulate" the crucifixion through someone's hands by strapping on some big leather glove things and attaching them to the cross. Because if there's one thing we know, it's that they nailed stiff leather gloves to the cross and then made Jesus hold on real good.

I bring this up because apparently there's a need to defend the historical accuracy of the method used and it reminded me of that show Wink .
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:21 pm
Shirakawasuna wrote:
Is it bad that I found that part of the "Bullshit!" (Penn & Teller) episode with the guy recreating the crucifixion completely and utterly hilarious? It's like painful humor: the guy's an MD but wears his official white coat for the presentation + camera and proceeds to "simulate" the crucifixion through someone's hands by strapping on some big leather glove things and attaching them to the cross. Because if there's one thing we know, it's that they nailed stiff leather gloves to the cross and then made Jesus hold on real good.

I bring this up because apparently there's a need to defend the historical accuracy of the method used and it reminded me of that show Wink .

Which one would that be?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

You still don't understand the actual mechanism of execution. When one is strung up by one's wrists, with the full weight of the body hanging down and outward, the muscles of the pulmonary system cannot properly operate. You'd not be wriggling for long, but it would still take a long time for you to suffocate.

The chances of swaying the stake from side to side would be slim to none. The Romans had places of execution in which they erected the posts from which people were executed. They well anchored.

The errors in depiction of the alleged execution of the putative Jesus are just part of one more reason to consider the entire dog and pony show to be so much horsie poop.

Ah but you so enjoy talking about Jesus and his experiences don't you? Most times you slip your disclaimer into the hind-end of the conversation - but that's OK; you're still talking about him. Bravo! :wink:
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:53 pm
Wolf_ODonnell: I think it's the one on religion... they find the cheese sandwich woman, the guy with a comical recreation of the crucifixion, and a hispanic woman with a Jesus door. It might have a slightly different title, since it's going mostly on these weird special revelation things, but that was the focus of the story.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:55 pm
baddog1 wrote:
Ah but you so enjoy talking about Jesus and his experiences don't you? Most times you slip your disclaimer into the hind-end of the conversation - but that's OK; you're still talking about him. Bravo! :wink:

That has to be the shallowest attack I've seen you lob at someone yet. Setanta responds to your claims about crucifixion and you find a way to criticize because he's talking about the topic. Bravo indeed.

Incidentally, do you have any defense for your biochemical Jesus cheese sandwich? You always seem to be "suspiciously" quiet when getting pwnt.
0 Replies