Californian bans on plastic bags hit a snag

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 02:44 am
Local communities in California may find it more difficult to ban plastic bags after a judge granted an injunction against a ban in Oakland because the city failed to conduct an environmental review. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Frank Roesch said there was substantial evidence to support an argument that paper bags are more environmentally damaging than plastic bags in a ruling on 17 April.

The decision was in response to a plastics industry lawsuit that the city did not comply with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), which requires local governments to document the environmental impacts of their decisions. The coalition argued that paper bags take more energy to produce, create more greenhouse gas emissions, and cause 50 times more water pollution to manufacture than plastic bags.

But a sponsor of the Oakland ordinance said that litter caused by plastic bags is the main reason for the ban and why it improves the environment. Oakland must now decide whether it wants to appeal the decision of the ban or undertake a full environmental review of the ordinance. The ban went into effect Jan. 15, but has not been enforced.

The plastic bag ban in San Francisco is working and most consumers and large retailers are making the switch from plastic to paper or reusable bags, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. A new front on the public backlash against plastic packaging has been bans on polystyrene (PS) take-out food packaging. Source: RISI
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 774 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:17 am
Americans, of course, are not approaching this problem in the right way. It's not a choice of paper or plastic, it should be a movement to carrying your own shopping bags made of canvas or other sturdy material. When Whole Foods announced it was getting rid of plastic bags, the company also began selling canvas shopping bags.

Joe(Duh.)Nation
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:19 am
agreed
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 07:05 am
its not either paper or plastic??

so what are those guys supposed to say now?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 07:09 am
shewolfnm wrote:
its not either paper or plastic??

so what are those guys supposed to say now?

"How are you doing today, Mrs. Cleaver?"
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 07:13 am
I am not sure what they will do now - keep the plastic until they make a decision I guess. I do think they need to offer a better alternative though.

Was it you or Chai that said using those plastic crates (of which I have many) would be a better idea? I actually went to the grocery store with mine in the back of the stationwagon the other day. I got Joey (my usual bag boy) just to put the groceries back in the cart and walk out with me...we just put them in the crates in the back of my car. I had no garbage....they didn't roll around or out of the bag (I take turns a little sharp sometimes) and I just carried the crates up the stairs...it took me a couple of trips but they weren't really heavier - I carry as many bags as I can lift...but really no more inconvenient than usual. I thought it was a great idea..and it worked great.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 10:04 am
And it makes sense with the new whole cart scanners coming into use.

Joe(take the cart out to the car and unload.)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 10:27 am
I like the new reusable bags, and am going to get more. I've had a big canvas shopping bag for years now (from Oakville Grocery, see, California years ahead..) but if I would fill the whole thing with heavy stuff then I'd need to put wheels on it. I used to eye carrier bags at my old Co-op (California again) but great as some of them were, they were all expensive.
These new reusable bags are a dollar each at my market, Albertson's.
0 Replies