quinn1

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:13 pm
Thanks hon - makes it even more enchanting. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:38 pm
A few years back, they opened up a string of cheese steak eateries in theHouston area. About a year later, they were nowhere to be seen.Iguess it's not a Texan thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:58 pm
There was an international food market in Santa Monica, Lincoln at Broadway, that made the best meatball sammiches ever. I don't care what anybody else says. No photo though.

Sorry I looked it up. Looks like Von's grocery store took it over. Crap.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:49 pm
http://pabjan.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/jedlo_halusky.jpg

here, have some REAL food, Montana!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 08:05 pm
http://x84.xanga.com/38dc363a00333161807376/m121864450.jpg

Yummm Kielbasa and Perogies
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:27 pm
In Rochester, NY, where I grew up, there was a late-night diner that was legendary for the following item.

This right here is a Nick Tahou's Garbage Plate.

http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~burrows3/garbage%20plate.jpg

What is in a garbage plate:

Tons of home fries or french fries

Macaroni salad

At least two or three sausages or cheese burgers or hot dogs

Topped with onions, mustard, and a special hot sauce.

Douse in ketchup and dig in.

A lot of good stuff there. Actually, seeing that picture is kind of making me involuntarily salivate a little bit. A garbage plate was good when sober, but an orgiastic experience when drunk.

I had a friend who once claimed there was a record for how fast you could eat a garbage plate. Let's call him Grillo. Yeah, that sounds stupid. Perfect.

So this one night we're at Nick's all drunk and hungry, and Grillo decides he's gonna go for the record, which was, according to him, forty-seven seconds. So a whole gang of us crowd around a booth, somebody looks at their watch and says, "go," and this jackass digs in like a starving pig on a pile of pumpkin pies.

He's just jamming his hands in and shoveling all of it in his mouth at once, and of course we're all cheering him on, and of course I'm right in his face yelling encouragement at high volume, "come on, Grillo, you can do it! DO IT GRILLO! YOU CAN DO IT!" like I'm Knute Rockne or something, and he's stuffing it in and chewing madly and everybody's caught up in the excitement...it was insane! All eight seconds of it.

That was how long for it took until my ridiculous yelling and screaming in his face made him laugh. And of course, he had a big mouthful of crap at the time. And of course, out it all came. Fast. A large mess composed of various shades of brown consisting of many loose, semi-chewed, semi-gooey chunks. Garbage plate was everywhere. All over the table, all over me and all over at least half of the other idiots there. It was, in a word, awesome.

Grillo was an idiot. And so were we all. It was a good time to be alive.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:34 pm
Now if I don't get some action from Montana or dlowan after that story, then there is something seriously wrong with the way this whole food/seduction thing works.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:01 pm
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Really? Well then...

Montana, would you like a bite of my big delicious cheesesteak sammich? Mmmm...

http://users.saferinternet.com/wildebeest/Philly%20Cheesesteak.JPG

That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen!!!!!
This one reminds me of one of my ex-girlfriends
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:02 pm
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p173/2PacksAday/Getting_into_Angus1.jpg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:05 am
http://www.mamarazi.com/fun/images/phallic.jpg

Step into my garden baby.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:18 am
Actually, Kicky, that looks pretty good.

Good story, too.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:02 am
What the hell is going on...

Okay can't resist...

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/WTF/eating-the-baby-sandwich.jpg

T
K
O

P.s. - Why are we doing this again?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 02:36 am
quinn1 wrote:
http://x84.xanga.com/38dc363a00333161807376/m121864450.jpg

Yummm Kielbasa and Perogies

The heck with the rest of the food I'm going to Quinn1's house. That looks like some good grinds.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:34 am
kicky- great stuff. Looks like it would be fabulous when drunk or recouping from drunk. I like greasy fat filled food the morning after.

TKO- I'm with you - no idea maybe eventually someone will share. Till then - thats funny in a sick and twisted way.

s'glass Grew up on the stuff and if I could find something other than frozen here I would be in heaven.

How about this:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_TtjHZtf6vtA/Rgv45V1UCbI/AAAAAAAAASg/10p8ju3sQR8/s320/crplate2thumb.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:55 am
oh my..

my cholesterol went up ten points just reading this thread.

anyone ever eat anything from a PLANT?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:08 am
shewolfnm wrote:

Plants = garnishes! Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:19 am
quinn1 wrote:

s'glass Grew up on the stuff and if I could find something other than frozen here I would be in heaven.

Are you talking about perogi? It's very easy to make - really. If you're in Boston you should be able to find it fresh. Look for an Eastern European butcher shop or deli. Check the local listings for a Polish Restaurant. Your other option is drive @ 5 hours South to Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:28 am
Green Witch wrote:
quinn1 wrote:

Are you talking about perogi? It's very easy to make - really. If you're in Boston you should be able to find it fresh. Look for an Eastern European butcher shop or deli. Check the local listings for a Polish Restaurant. Your other option is drive @ 5 hours South to Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

Kind of an odd thing baout greater Boston - there really aren't many Eastern European resturants/stores in the area. I know of one Russian bakery in Roslindale but that's about it.

If you want something from India or pretty much any Asian country you have no problems finding it and, of course, Irish pubs are all over the place. But finding a German, Polish, etc... restaurant/deli/store is pretty much impossible.

Maybe the poor treatment of the earlier Irish immigrants skeered the other European immigrants into going elsewhere? Where I grew up in CT there were Eastern Euro stores on every corner.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:35 am
shewolfnm wrote:
oh my..

my cholesterol went up ten points just reading this thread.

Vegetables are what food eats.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:43 am
fishin wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
quinn1 wrote:

Kind of an odd thing baout greater Boston - there really aren't many Eastern European resturants/stores in the area. I know of one Russian bakery in Roslindale but that's about it.

If you want something from India or pretty much any Asian country you have no problems finding it and, of course, Irish pubs are all over the place. But finding a German, Polish, etc... restaurant/deli/store is pretty much impossible.

Maybe the poor treatment of the earlier Irish immigrants skeered the other European immigrants into going elsewhere? Where I grew up in CT there were Eastern Euro stores on every corner.

I do remember seeing as more Irish pubs than Starbucks in Boston.

Anyone know this place:
DJ's European Deli & Market, 120 Boston St., Dorchester, 617-436-9766.
I looked up some food reviews and this one scored for fresh perogi and stuffed cabbage.
0 Replies