Britain Shows Signs of Intelligent Life

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 01:48 pm
I have a feeling GB is too far gone, but at least this seems a step in the right direction.

Anger over relaxing of gun law for Olympics

Published Date: 04 May 2008
By Jenny Percival
Westminster Editor

ANTI-GUN campaigners have warned the Government not to relax firearms legislation in the run-up to the London Olympics, (warning: moronic slogan to follow) saying: "A child's life is not worth a medal."

UK and Scottish ministers have agreed that from August, sportsmen and women will be given special permission to use their weapons at Ministry of Defence ranges in Britain. At present, competitors have to train abroad.

It is a major breakthrough for British Shooting, the sport's governing body, which has campaigned for years to exempt its members from the strict laws introduced after gun collector Thomas Hamilton massacred 16 children and a teacher at Dunblane Primary School in 1996.

But Anne Pearston, who led the Snowdrop Campaign that led to the Firearms Amendments Act 1997 banning the ownership of handguns, said she was opposed to the exemption. "A child's life is not worth a medal," she said.

Pearston said while there had been other school massacres around the world, the UK's tough laws had prevented further British tragedies.

She said: "I want us to get to the 20th anniversary without another school massacre. We don't want any weakening of the legislation - if anything it needs to be tightened up. The Government is supposed to safeguard the public, not be swayed by sportspeople." (It's a total ban. How much more strict would this retard like it to be?)

The UK-wide Gun Control Network, which replaced the Snowdrop Campaign, said it had been pressing ministers to keep the handgun ban intact.

Gill Marshall-Andrews, the network's chairman, said: "We are opposed to any kind of change in the legislation, even for training purposes. Some of those who have taken up the sport are young enough to have done so since the ban was introduced, knowing that it was illegal in this country. Why should we put wider society at risk for the sake of a few sportspeople?"

John Leighton-Dyson, British Shooting's performance director, said: "We are not asking for US-style liberalisation. We just want an opportunity for a small number of sportsmen and women to be allowed to compete in the Olympics and win gold medals for their country. I'm sure that's something that every right-minded member of the public would support."

The UK Department for Culture, Media and Sport said it expected a trial exemption for sportsmen and women to begin in August after the Beijing Olympics.

The exemption would run up to the 2012 London Olympics and, if successful, be extended to the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,518 • Replies: 21
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 01:54 pm
I still managed to puke all over my keyboard when I read that again. What a retarded nation. Held hostage by complete boobs.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 02:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I still managed to puke all over my keyboard when I read that again. What a retarded nation. Held hostage by complete boobs.

I suspect they feel the same way about the US, and the NRA.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 02:31 pm
When i bought my jeep, there was an NRA sticker on the back window. I left it there. People who would be disgusted to think i were a member are far less likely to shoot me for my trouble.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 02:54 pm
Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries

Quote:
A firearm was reported to have been involved in the deaths of 1107 children; 957 (86%) of those occurred in the United States. Of all firearm-related deaths, 55% were reported as homicides; 20%, as suicides; 22%, as unintentional; and 3%, as intention undetermined. The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 years was nearly 12 times higher than among children in the other 25 countries combined (1.66 compared with 0.14) (Table_1). The firearm-related homicide rate in the United States was nearly 16 times higher than that in all of the other countries combined (0.94 compared with 0.06); the firearm-related suicide rate was nearly 11 times higher (0.32 compared with 0.03); and the unintentional firearm-related death rate was nine times higher (0.36 compared with 0.04). For all countries, males accounted for most of the firearm-related homicides (67%), firearm-related suicides (77%), and unintentional firearm-related deaths (89%). The nonfirearm-related homicide rate in the United States was nearly four times the rate in all of the other countries (1.63 compared with 0.45), and nonfirearm-related suicide rates were similar in the United States and in all of the other countries combined (0.23 compared with 0.24).

The rate for firearm-related deaths among children in the United States (1.66) was 2.7-fold greater than that in the country with the next highest rate (Finland, 0.62) (Figure_1). Except for rates for firearm-related suicide in Northern Ireland and firearm-related fatalities of unknown intent in Austria, Belgium, and Israel, rates for all types of firearm-related deaths were higher in the United States than in the other countries. However, among all other countries, the impact of firearm-related deaths varied substantially. For example, five countries, including three of the four countries in Asia, reported no firearm-related deaths among children. In comparison, firearms were the primary cause of homicide in Finland, Israel, Australia, Italy, Germany, and England and Wales. Five countries (Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Taiwan) reported only unintentional firearm-related deaths.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 02:56 pm
Nonfatal and Fatal Firearm-Related Injuries -- United States, 1993-1997

Quote:
In 1997, 32,436 deaths resulted from firearm-related injuries, making such injuries the second leading cause of injury mortality in the United States after motor-vehicle-related incidents (1). Also in 1997, an estimated 64,207 persons sustained nonfatal firearm-related injuries and were treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments (EDs); approximately 40% required inpatient hospital care. National firearm-related injury and death rates peaked in 1993, then began to decline (2). This report presents national data from 1993 through 1997, which showed that the decline in nonfatal and fatal firearm-related injury rates was substantial and consistent by sex, race/ethnicity, age, and intent of injury.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 09:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
When i bought my jeep, there was an NRA sticker on the back window. I left it there. People who would be disgusted to think i were a member are far less likely to shoot me for my trouble.

Good thinkin', Setanta!

On one of the travel threads recently I asked if there were any nice gun-free Americans. No-one answered (that particular bit) so I guess that's a NO!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:37 am
Well . . . the cemeterys seem to be gun free . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:29 am
Gun free get killed zones are for pansies.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:06 pm
Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries

Quote:
A firearm was reported to have been involved in the deaths of 1107 children; 957 (86%) of those occurred in the United States. Of all firearm-related deaths, 55% were reported as homicides; 20%, as suicides; 22%, as unintentional; and 3%, as intention undetermined. The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 years was nearly 12 times higher than among children in the other 25 countries combined (1.66 compared with 0.14) (Table_1). The firearm-related homicide rate in the United States was nearly 16 times higher than that in all of the other countries combined (0.94 compared with 0.06); the firearm-related suicide rate was nearly 11 times higher (0.32 compared with 0.03); and the unintentional firearm-related death rate was nine times higher (0.36 compared with 0.04). For all countries, males accounted for most of the firearm-related homicides (67%), firearm-related suicides (77%), and unintentional firearm-related deaths (89%). The nonfirearm-related homicide rate in the United States was nearly four times the rate in all of the other countries (1.63 compared with 0.45), and nonfirearm-related suicide rates were similar in the United States and in all of the other countries combined (0.23 compared with 0.24).

The rate for firearm-related deaths among children in the United States (1.66) was 2.7-fold greater than that in the country with the next highest rate (Finland, 0.62) (Figure_1). Except for rates for firearm-related suicide in Northern Ireland and firearm-related fatalities of unknown intent in Austria, Belgium, and Israel, rates for all types of firearm-related deaths were higher in the United States than in the other countries. However, among all other countries, the impact of firearm-related deaths varied substantially. For example, five countries, including three of the four countries in Asia, reported no firearm-related deaths among children. In comparison, firearms were the primary cause of homicide in Finland, Israel, Australia, Italy, Germany, and England and Wales. Five countries (Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Taiwan) reported only unintentional firearm-related deaths.

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 04:10 pm
Drewdad, there are over 200M guns in private hands in the US. Your stats seem kinda low and incomplete. Do they address gang and black on black shootings? Apparently not. When folks aren't taught about guns because they either are too chicken or have no father around to set them straight, firearm deaths will certainly increase.

You don't make society better by telling people what they cannot possess. You only create a society of haves and have nots. And when you outlaw guns, then ONLY criminals have guns.

They don't care about the laws on the books now. Why would another law help?

Also, Britain is being silently invaded by Islamic terrorists. So is much of Europe. The populace is disarmed and they know it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 10:15 am
Not my stats; just the stats I found and posted.

cjhsa wrote:
And when you outlaw guns, then ONLY criminals have guns.

It means that most anyone with a gun is a criminal, but hardly means that every criminal will be armed.

cjhsa wrote:
Also, Britain is being silently invaded by Islamic terrorists. So is much of Europe.

Really? Has there been a big upsurge in terrorism attacks of which I'm unaware?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:04 am
It's that terrorism of Islamic people coming in and opening up restaurants and shops.

Those people are sneaky. You never know what they will do. Heck, they might even get a gun to defend their property.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:06 am
But if guns are illegal why are all the arab shop owners armed? A cultural double standard perhaps?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:42 am
parados wrote:
It's that terrorism of Islamic people coming in and opening up restaurants and shops.

Those people are sneaky. You never know what they will do. Heck, they might even get a gun to defend their property.

Oh, terrorism as in just being scary?

I imagine anyone not pasty white causes that reaction in cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:44 am
DrewDad wrote:

I imagine anyone not pasty white causes that reaction in cjhsa.

Your obvious racism is showing. It's like a muffin top at the mall.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:17 am
If u r a blood-thirsty murderer ( or u yearn to become one )
England is the safest place for u to go !
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 03:51 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:

What, like Pinochet?

Or how about George W Bush?

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/images/stories/bush%20for%20web.jpg

KATE HUDSON, Chair of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament:

I charge George Bush with illegally attacking Iraq on trumped up charges, imposing a brutal occupation, wrecking the infrastructure and public services, using chemical weapons on civilian populations, littering the country with cluster bombs and depleted uranium munitions, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths and untold human sorrow and suffering. He must be brought to justice.

Britain has been doing a slow dive into hell, thanks to US interference and lies… for me, here on a2k, listening to D and C (and others) rant on about Britain, France and Canada, is frankly, laughable.
What hypocrites.

Take a good long look at your own disaster (if you dare) before pontificating on the situation elsewhere.
There is a sign of intelligent life in Britain alright….
and it is growing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 09:51 pm
Endymion wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
What, like Pinochet?

PINOCHET is my favorite guy !
I wish I 'd met him during his blessed 91 years on Earth.
My gratitude to him is ineffable for his killing all those filthy commies.
Augusto Pinochet was an instrument of Justice and goodness on Earth !
I am very pleased that he rose to become a multimillionaire; he deserved it.
I wish I had shaken his hand and thanked him.
He knew how to treat commies !

Quote:
Quote:
Or how about George W Bush?

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/images/stories/bush%20for%20web.jpg

KATE HUDSON, Chair of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament:

I charge George Bush with illegally attacking Iraq on trumped up charges, imposing a brutal occupation, wrecking the infrastructure and public services, using chemical weapons on civilian populations, littering the country with cluster bombs and depleted uranium munitions, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths and untold human sorrow and suffering. He must be brought to justice.

Britain has been doing a slow dive into hell, thanks to US interference and lies… for me, here on a2k, listening to D and C (and others) rant on about Britain, France and Canada, is frankly, laughable.
What hypocrites.

Take a good long look at your own disaster (if you dare) before pontificating on the situation elsewhere.
There is a sign of intelligent life in Britain alright….
and it is growing

Well, since our mission of overthrowing Saddam has been successfully accomplished,
I no longer support the war in Iraq.
It has become a giant foreign aid project, instead of a defensive war.

HOWEVER these issues may be,
my point was that England is now a beautiful haven for those who wish
to become bloody robbers & murderers, in that it is a SAFE territory for them
and thay will not be injured while thay rob and slaughter Englishmen,
and Englishchicks, because the English government has rendered them
helpless ( by law ) so that thay cannot legally defend themselves
( like Farmer Tony Martin ).
The government of England is in bed with evil,
partnering up with violent criminals to protect them from the defenses of their victims.

David
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 01:48 am
cjhsa wrote:
Gun free get killed zones are for pansies.

Having a gun makes you more macho and makes your dick grow bigger.
0 Replies