(ANSWERED) Part "quote"

kev

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:25 pm
When replying to a post that is say ten paragraphs but you only want to draw attention to one of them, can you select one para from ten.

I tried to copy and paste but it highlights the whole page no matter how careful I am.

Help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:29 pm
Unfortunately, no. The way I do it is to just manually type the codes [ quote] and [/quote] before and after each section I want to quote.

Another way would be to not use the quote feature, just copy and paste the post into yours and use a different font color for your responses between paragraphs.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:43 pm
Re: Part "quote"
kev wrote:
ten paragraphs but you only want to draw attention to one of them, can you select one para from ten.

You can hit the quote button, and, when the quote box comes up in the Post a reply screen, delete the text you don't want.
Be careful not to disturb the quote command in square brackets!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:50 pm
margo wrote:
kev wrote:
ten paragraphs but you only want to draw attention to one of them, can you select one para from ten.

Lets see if this works.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:53 pm
kev wrote:
margo wrote:
kev wrote:

Lets see if this works.

Well - that didn't seem to!

You're abroad early, Kev!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:54 pm
margo wrote:
kev wrote:

Lets see if this works.

Well - that didn't seem to!

You're abroad early, Kev!

Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:58 pm
margo wrote:
kev wrote:

Post a reply

how about that.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:02 pm
Margo please explain that more fully it seems to have gone straight passed me
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:04 pm
Quote:
Whenever there is a multi-paragraph quotation that I wish to quote and highlight specific sections but not remove it out of context, what I do is make the section a bold font.

Here's an example. What I do is highlight the section I wish to emphasize then click on the B button and it places the bold codes in the proper places for me.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:16 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Quote:
Whenever there is a multi-paragraph quotation that I wish to quote and highlight specific sections but not remove it out of context, what I do is make the section a bold font.

Here's an example. What I do is highlight the section I wish to emphasize then click on the B button and it places the bold codes in the proper places for me.

LIKE THIS!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:22 pm
Kev

I think you've got it!

When you hit the quote box in anyones post, it takes you, with the quote in place, to the Post a reply page.

After the first {quote}command, you can delete any bits you don't want to refer to, and just leave the relevant bits. Delete everything you don't want, down to the {/quote} command, which you leave intact. Note that the above should show square brackets for the quotes, but this makes it unworkable in the explanation. Confused

After the last command, you can then enter your own text, which, presumably will relate to the remaining bit of the quote!

It's just after 4am there - whaddya doing?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:29 pm
Or you can simply cut and paste.

Highlight (carefully) the section you want to post, then hit Ctrl-C.
Then go to post a reply - you can't do it in quick reply, hit the quote button above the box, then use Ctrl-V to insert or paste, then hit the Quote box (which will be showing with an asterisk) again, to finish the quote.
Butrflynet says: [quote]I wish to quote and highlight specific sections but not remove it [/quote]

One disadvantage of this method is that it doesn't say who the quote is from. You need to put their name in. (look up how to spell butterflynet, margo!) The use of the quote box in the original post overcomes this.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:46 pm
Code:[quote="Butrflynet"][quote][b]Whenever there is a multi-paragraph quotation that I wish to quote and highlight specific sections but not remove it out of context, what I do is make the section a bold font[/b].

Here's an example. [b]What I do is highlight the section I wish to emphasize then click on the B button and it places the bold codes in the proper places for me[/b].[/quote][/quote]

LIKE THIS![/quote]

Kev, tryin' to figure things out, wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
Quote:

LIKE THIS!

Now, to put in a name, you put an = sign immediately after [quote, then type in the name you wish inside of quotemarks ("Membername"), then close the quote bracket.
Code:[quote="Membername"]xxxxxxx[/quote]

Membername wrote:
xxxxxxx

Buttons? Ahhh, I don' need no stinkin' buttons ... but they are there, and they are helpful. I'd wind up doin' a lot less editing of my posts once they're up if I'd just use the features the website has. Spellcheck is one I really oughtta use ... save me a lot of retyping Embarrassed Rolling Eyes :wink:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:25 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Code:[quote="Butrflynet"][quote][b]Whenever there is a multi-paragraph quotation that I wish to quote and highlight specific sections but not remove it out of context, what I do is make the section a bold font[/b].

Here's an example. [b]What I do is highlight the section I wish to emphasize then click on the B button and it places the bold codes in the proper places for me[/b].[/quote][/quote]

LIKE THIS![/quote]

Kev, tryin' to figure things out, wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
Quote:

LIKE THIS!

Now, to put in a name, you put an = sign immediately after [quote, then type in the name you wish inside of quotemarks ("Membername"), then close the quote bracket.
Code:[quote="Membername"]xxxxxxx[/quote]

Membername wrote:
xxxxxxx

Hmm, how'd you change the background color of what you quoted? I'm too lazy to weed through the source code for the page to see how ya did it. Wink

P.S. If we keep going with these imbedded quotations, we'll have a piece of op art to rival the best of the optical illusions from our hippy days. Reminds me of those ads for televisions that show the kid watching himself watch himself watching himself on TV. Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:47 pm
Well, Kev

If you can't somehow manage it now - you're just beyond confusing! Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:26 pm
The Green-on-black effect is caused by using the code switch to turn off formatting If you type [code] at the begining of a format string, it renders the code as text. Of course, you have to close the tag at the end of the code you wish to render as text. There's also a check box below the composition window on the "Post a reply" page that lets you turn code on or off for an entire reply.

Well, I guess this one's been answered ... I'll mark it as such.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 12:36 am
Margo,

In between staring at this box, and the idiot box, I've now been up all night slowly sipping guiness as if it were a fine subtle wine.

You wouldn't think sipping it slowly that you could do ten pints in only five hours, hic- would you? Not to mention a madras prawn curry and pilau rice.

I think I could have stumbled upon my non- understanding problem, so I'll try again tomorrow, when the effectsz of the curry has worn off.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 01:06 am
Twisted Evil Cool Laughing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies