Question on prejudice.

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:13 am
When someone believes their race is superior to other's, they are a RACIST.

When someone believes their gender is superior to other's, they are a SEXIST.

Does the english language (or any other for that matter) have a word for an individual who believes their religion is superior to others?

We have terms to describe many specific forms of prejudice...

Heterosexism
Ableism
Ageism

What about religion? Doesn't the limitation in vocabulary limit the type of expression we can have? Why does the individual with religious prejudice get to avoid a label or brand?

Thought in general?T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,123 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:20 am
Religious bigot?

It's implied in fundamentalism, I guess, but not part of the actual definition.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:54 am
they're called either muslims or catholics
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:35 am
Is there any major religion that doesn't teach superiority. Every religion thinks it is superior to all the other religions.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 08:46 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Is there any major religion that doesn't teach superiority. Every religion thinks it is superior to all the other religions.

agreed, but i feel the two examples i quoted are the most visible, especially the catholics, other churches have titular heads, but none so ostentatious or obnoxious as the pope
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 01:46 pm
That's off topic. I'm trying to see if in english or any other language, there is a specific word for this. quick jabs at specific religions are irrelavant.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 01:56 pm
"Regliocentric"

I just manufactured the word you need, coin it at your pleasure!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 02:01 pm
Zealot...usually conveys that sentiment, but I'm sure there is a more precise word, I'm sure the Germans have a good one, they have a good word/idiom for everything.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 02:29 pm
WALTER!

[/shout]

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 02:30 pm
Chumly wrote:
"Regliocentric"

I just manufactured the word you need, coin it at your pleasure!

I've danced around the idea of "theocrat."

?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 02:37 pm
Too much like theocracy.

Now since ethnocentrism is the tendency to look at the world primarily from the perspective of one's own culture, then "relgiocentric" would be the tendency to look at the world primarily from the perspective of one's own religion!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 02:42 pm
Re: Question on prejudice.
Diest TKO wrote:
When someone believes their race is superior to other's, they are a RACIST.

When someone believes their gender is superior to other's, they are a SEXIST.

Does the english language (or any other for that matter) have a word for an individual who believes their religion is superior to others?

We have terms to describe many specific forms of prejudice...

Heterosexism
Ableism
Ageism

What about religion? Doesn't the limitation in vocabulary limit the type of expression we can have? Why does the individual with religious prejudice get to avoid a label or brand?

Thought in general?T
K
O

Baptist...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:00 pm
Oh, theocrat goes nicely with your initials toooooo.

Sorry, no idea yet. Will think on it.

First word I think of is 'preferentist', but I just made that up.

Um, theobrat?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:13 pm
You're maybe looking for this:

Quote:
faith·ism
faithism [n.] the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their belief in the supernatural and that the members of a religious faith are not as good as those who are not, which results in those of faith being treated unfairly.

faith·ist
faithist [adj.] 1. Based on faithial intolerance; "faithist remarks." , 2. Discriminatory especially on the basis of belief in the supernatural, a supreme being, and/or an afterlife; esp., but not limited to, christians.

But maybe not...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:47 pm
I've never heard of a specific word. But most people accept the faith they were raised in. Otherwise, most people would be changing faiths, one or more times, as though they were in a shopping mall. Since we first learn of a religion when we are children, I believe, it is then easy to brainwash a child's mind.

Some people believe that all religions are just successful cults. And, we know that some cults do brainwash their members to believe the cult is correct in its beliefs. So, just because a cult becomes successful enough to call itself a religion, doesn't mean brainwashing isn't still practiced (but it can now be done to the children of the faithful, rather than the heavy stuff of some cults). Plus, being successful enough, to rise above cult status, a religion knows how to make its holidays so enjoyable that children, as adults, just wax nostalgic, and would never leave the religion. (Do I hear sleigh bells in the background?)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 01:15 am
Francis wrote:
You're maybe looking for this:

Quote:
faith·ism
faithism [n.] the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their belief in the supernatural and that the members of a religious faith are not as good as those who are not, which results in those of faith being treated unfairly.

faith·ist
faithist [adj.] 1. Based on faithial intolerance; "faithist remarks." , 2. Discriminatory especially on the basis of belief in the supernatural, a supreme being, and/or an afterlife; esp., but not limited to, christians.

But maybe not...

Hmm...

I've never heard this word used, but it seems to be warm to the idea I'm looking for.

So I guess then a person would then be a "fathist?"

T
K
O
0 Replies