Israel is suppressing a secret it must face

Foofie

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 07:24 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

The wealth the Jews have created in Israel is testimony to their energy and creativity. There is (in my view) no possibility of that long cohabiting the region alongside the severe economic and political oppression (and relative poverty) of the Palestinians -- cohabiting, that is without conflict and repeated bloodshed. The only way (again in my view) the Israelis and the Palestinians (either separately or together) can hope to realize their aspirations for themselves is for both to unite in a single country that will provide equal justice for all. A long road perhaps to that outcome, but I can see no other possibility short of the complete annihalation of one party or the other.

I don't think many Palestineans want to be part of one united country. Nor do many Israelis.

In a similar vein, how did the Irish in 1916 satisfy their yearnings for an Irish state? Merge with Britain? No.

Some people just like to be part of an ethnic homeland. Not everyone can be an American, and accept a heterogenous society as one's own.

But, time will tell.

Also, if one thinks about it, the Israelis want a state based on the Jewish religion. The Palestineans want a state based on pure ethnicity. Israel's Jews are a melting pot of Jews from different ethnicities. Based on this different criteria as to what would satisfy repective state aspirations, the problem may not be solveable where everyone is happy with any solutions.

But its nice of you to offer your solution.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 09:26 pm
Ireland suffered under severe political, economic and religious oppression at the hands of the English for several Centuries. For years they suffered under a regime that taxed them to support the established Protestant Church, and at the same time discriminated against them if they remained Catholic. Property held by Irishmen was required by law to be divided up equally among all the patrimony. At the same time property held by English owners and Protestants was required by the same law to be passed on to the first born son. In this largely agricultural land there were severe limits on the right of Irish farmers to own the livestock needed to operate a farm of more than a few acres.

The result of all this was the gradual passage of land ownership from the native Irish to English landowners, many absentee. During the mid 19th century potato famines Ireland remained a net exporter of food while approximately 500,000/year starved to death - precisely because the best and most productive lands exported the grains and cattle they produces for cash for their usually English owners, while the native population subsisted only on the failing potato yield of the hillsides and bogs.

Finally, every church in the center of every village in Ireland was taken and turned into a Church of Ireland (Protestant) facility and the Catholic population was taxed to support its Canon who usually had no parishioners. In fact the whole thing was a scam operated in effect as the retirement system for Church of England.

When the Irish Republic was declared in 1919, amazingly no retribution whatever was inflicted on the 15% of the population that was English or Protestant. Instead uniform and equal standards and laws were established for the whole population. Indeed, they didn't even take the churches back. St Patricks cathedral in Dublin and the church in the square in every small village in Ireland are still Protestant institutions, as is Trinity College in Dublin.

Today the Irish are among the most prosperous people in Europe. Their GDP/capita is higher than every European nation save only Litchtenstein, Switzerland, and Norway - and a good deal higher than the UK.

Northern Ireland, which is perhaps an even better model for Israel in that the opposing groups are more equal in numbers and the conflict is at least 300 years old, has finally abandoned government exclusively in the hands of the Protestant portion of the Population. The IRA has finally disarmed, and the terror and death squads on both sides (that have practised their trades for over a century) have dissolved. Economic growth for both parts of the population has resumed.

You should consider studying the recent history of the island: it might help you find a model for the future of Israel.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 01:40 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Ireland suffered under severe political, economic and religious oppression at the hands of the English for several Centuries. For years they suffered under a regime that taxed them to support the established Protestant Church, and at the same time discriminated against them if they remained Catholic. Property held by Irishmen was required by law to be divided up equally among all the patrimony. At the same time property held by English owners and Protestants was required by the same law to be passed on to the first born son. In this largely agricultural land there were severe limits on the right of Irish farmers to own the livestock needed to operate a farm of more than a few acres.

The result of all this was the gradual passage of land ownership from the native Irish to English landowners, many absentee. During the mid 19th century potato famines Ireland remained a net exporter of food while approximately 500,000/year starved to death - precisely because the best and most productive lands exported the grains and cattle they produces for cash for their usually English owners, while the native population subsisted only on the failing potato yield of the hillsides and bogs.

Finally, every church in the center of every village in Ireland was taken and turned into a Church of Ireland (Protestant) facility and the Catholic population was taxed to support its Canon who usually had no parishioners. In fact the whole thing was a scam operated in effect as the retirement system for Church of England.

When the Irish Republic was declared in 1919, amazingly no retribution whatever was inflicted on the 15% of the population that was English or Protestant. Instead uniform and equal standards and laws were established for the whole population. Indeed, they didn't even take the churches back. St Patricks cathedral in Dublin and the church in the square in every small village in Ireland are still Protestant institutions, as is Trinity College in Dublin.

Today the Irish are among the most prosperous people in Europe. Their GDP/capita is higher than every European nation save only Litchtenstein, Switzerland, and Norway - and a good deal higher than the UK.

Northern Ireland, which is perhaps an even better model for Israel in that the opposing groups are more equal in numbers and the conflict is at least 300 years old, has finally abandoned government exclusively in the hands of the Protestant portion of the Population. The IRA has finally disarmed, and the terror and death squads on both sides (that have practised their trades for over a century) have dissolved. Economic growth for both parts of the population has resumed.

You should consider studying the recent history of the island: it might help you find a model for the future of Israel.

A) Didn't you forget the Red and Tans that came into Irish Catholic villages and conscripted the males into the British navy?

B) I have no need/interest in discerning a "model for the future of Israel." Israel is for Israelis to cogitate over. Judaism is only a religion that I don't have interest in. My concern is only empathy for Israel's existence, in context of a world that tends towards Judeophobia.

C) The persecution of the Catholc Irish by the British was, I thought, around 900 years, not a few centuries.

D) The only parallel I agree with in your analogy is that the British, I thought, engineered the migration of Scotch Presbyterians to Northern Island, and also engineered the Jewish displaced persons to Israel. In both instances it seems Britain thought there was a good reason to move these people where an indigenous majority population was going to clash with the arrivals. Perhaps, you should ask the British to find a solution, since they instigated the problem.

E) The Irish Catholics are Celts, and so are the Scotch Presbyterians. The only difference is their respective religions. The Ashkenazi Israelis are a hybrid Semite at best, in many instances. The Middle Eastern Israelis are ethnically as Arab as the Moslem Arabs, except the Jews never had to convert to Islam like the Arab pagans had to. So, the Israelis feel they are a people with a right to that land. The Palestineans feel they are a people with a right to that land. I just question if the Palestineans claim to being a people, is as similar to people in one state in the U.S. claiming to be a people. The Palestineans are the same Arabs as elsewhere in the neighboring countries. Since they never had a government, I thought, the claim to the land is based on wishful thinking. If I'm incorrect, tell me where.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 04:56 pm
i can only say this on the subject:

i was watching an interactive map of the globe as time went on and governments were created and destroyed.

only to wonder how israel popped up in the middle east after centuries of them being totally gone.

life is tought they lost their country, they want it back

thats what war is everyobody! WANTING LAND FROM SOMEONE WHO ISNT GONna GIVE IT TO YOU!

Oh yeah, dont get the impression i care either way. obviously they can do what led to them losing their country in the first place, take it over with force.

and in that case they have just as much right to their country as the people who took over it in the first place.

ABOSLUTELY NONE HUMANS ARWE MORONS WHO USE LAND AS POWER OVER OTHER HUMANS

jesus christ, i cant wait until we kill ourselves off hopefully a more intelligent creature re-evolves to take our place.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 10:31 am
OGIONIK wrote:
i can only say this on the subject:

i was watching an interactive map of the globe as time went on and governments were created and destroyed.

only to wonder how israel popped up in the middle east after centuries of them being totally gone.

life is tought they lost their country, they want it back

thats what war is everyobody! WANTING LAND FROM SOMEONE WHO ISNT GONna GIVE IT TO YOU!

Oh yeah, dont get the impression i care either way. obviously they can do what led to them losing their country in the first place, take it over with force.

and in that case they have just as much right to their country as the people who took over it in the first place.

ABOSLUTELY NONE HUMANS ARWE MORONS WHO USE LAND AS POWER OVER OTHER HUMANS

jesus christ, i cant wait until we kill ourselves off hopefully a more intelligent creature re-evolves to take our place.

I'm putting your analysis in my file of "possible glib responses." I say this since war is not always about wanting land. Sometimes it's about wanting resources from the land, and letting the people continue to live there (the Vikings in Vineland). Sometimes it's about wanting the people or booty (Danish Vikings took women back to Denmark, I thought). Sometimes its about having a greater tax base to tax (didn't Pax Romana tax its Empire?).

The more correct answer, I believe, is war is all about hegemony. The results can take many forms.
0 Replies