LEGAL vs LOGIC

ZEAL

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:39 am
Does anyone know the answer to this riddle?... What is legal but not logic; logic but not legal; and neither legal nor logic? My lecturer posed this question to us and she wants the answer on Tuesday. Anyone have an idea what the correct answer is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 823 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 03:33 am
Something along the lines of the answer given by the student in this little story?

Quote:
After having failed his exam in "Logistics and Organization", a student goes and confronts his lecturer about it. Student: "Sir, do you really understand anything about the subject?" Professor: "Surely I must. Otherwise I would not be a professor!" Student: "Great, well then I would like to ask you a question. If you can give me the correct answer, I will accept my mark as is and go. If you however do not know the answer, I want you give me an "A" for the exam. " Professor: "Okay, it's a deal. So what is the question?" Student: "What is legal, but not logical, logical, but not legal, and neither logical, nor legal?" Even after some long and hard consideration, the professor cannot give the student an answer, and therefore changes his exam mark into an "A", as agreed. Afterwards, the professor calls on his best student and asks him the same question. He immediately answers: "Sir, you are 63 years old and married to a 35 year old woman, which is legal, but not logical. Your wife has a 25 year old lover, which is logical, but not legal. The fact that you have given your wife's lover an "A", although he really should have failed, is neither legal, nor logical."
0 Replies

ZEAL

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:59 am
RE: LOGICAL vs LEGAL
Thanks for your response... But is that truly the answer I must give my lecturer?... That's a very funny and 'true' answer though
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:48 am
I might better be able to answer that if I knew something of the context in which she posed you the question. E.g. was it asked in the context of a dispute over marks or grades awarded? Is your lecturer sometimes inclined to be sarcastic or humorous?
0 Replies

ZEAL

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:05 am
logical vs legal
i study economics. she just asked- i think it was just to get us thinking or to stir up our creative juices or just as a general knowledge question
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:20 am
Well, I don't think it would do you much harm to give that answer, which is the only one I found by searching for the complete sentence.
0 Replies

thoh13

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:18 pm
HILLARIOUS! i love it!
0 Replies