margo

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:57 pm
Raphillon wrote:
Just seen this one, sorry.

About Rome I would advice you not tu rush. Rome is HOT in summer and it is far better to enjoy what you are able to see than to run around looking at averything, enjoing nothing.

That's the case just about everywhere, Raphillon. Italy rewards the slow traveller!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:24 pm
My husband and I are going to Italy in October and will spend two weeks in Apulia and Calabria on an Elderhostel tour. We have never been on an Elderhostel tour, but this one has great ratings.

We have seen most of Italy and Sicily, but have always wanted to do the heel, sole and toe of the boot.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:15 pm
The heel was great, really like Lecce. Basilicata (sole) looked good but we only stayed at Matera. Didn't really do the toe, just touched it on the ferry from Messina and headed north to the Amalfi coast.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:20 pm
Lecce is high on my list. Hmm, great piece on it by whatshername.. whose name I'll probably remember in another 24 hours. Wrote a book with a title like Small Cities in Italy quite a while ago. Vietnamnurse, I hope to hear more about your trip! You too, Hinge, you bad boy. Photos... photos... per favore.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:43 pm
I'm working on it Osso, really! I was going to do day by day blow by blow starting on 3rd August and trail myself 3 months after the fact - how about I set a date for 3 Sept?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:36 pm
Oh, that's terrific, Hinge. I don't care so much 'when', more 'if'. I'm still pissed at Kicky for lack of photos now those many years ago, speaking of bad boys.

I say this when I haven't done a thread on mine either. That involves some serious work, 3 trips, probably 2500 photos of varied interest except that I'm sentimental about all of them, what a pill. You'll all be in trouble when I get my scanner going.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:41 pm
I remembered her name, Kate Simon.

Here's the book -

Italy - The Places in Between
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:03 pm
Yeah..... where's those photos! huh huh huh.....

(please have been to Sorrento..... please please please!) Razz
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:06 pm
Ulp!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:07 pm
No No No...... you didn't go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU DIDN'T GO.

YOU DIDN'T DO AMALFI.

HOW BAD ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUH HUH HUH HUH! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:09 pm
We did the Amalfi Coast - three days in Positano, and caught a bus to Pompeii that went through Sorrento, we just didn't get out and explore, or take photos.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:17 pm
Shocked Oh My!

You know what that means??????

I will have to go visit there myself now... that's a shame a? :wink:

Really ooking forward to seeing all the photos of everywhere (BUT Sorrento Rolling Eyes ) - am sure it was the very best time for you guys - really pleased you were able to go. Very Happy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:43 pm
Izzie wrote:

I will have to go visit there myself now... that's a shame a? :wink:

I'm really sorry about that Izzie - I don't know what I was thinking Embarrassed
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:50 am
HA - silver linings a? Just think - when I visit and take photos and post them here you can say "Been there - done that" - how cool is that Razz

(that will be in however many years - BUT ONE DAY.... ONE DAY I WILL GO!)

(will will will.... )
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:20 pm
Just testing to see if I can get Picasa to display in A2K. If it works this is Pitigliano
http://lh3.ggpht.com/hingehead/SHrzjv-6-3I/AAAAAAAAACM/dLBtcSgJSLc/s144/IMG_0719.JPG[/url]
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:28 pm
Hey, I haven't finished playing with this and someone's replied and I have to start again!!

Think I've figured it out!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/hingehead/SHrzjv-6-3I/AAAAAAAAACM/dLBtcSgJSLc/s800/IMG_0719.JPG
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm
OK a lot more confident now.

More Pitigliano shots:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/hingehead/SKTUVaeav3I/AAAAAAAAAF4/WNysQcG6rss/s400/IMG_0590.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/hingehead/SKTUVkDJKwI/AAAAAAAAAGw/H8fLt34sCDw/s400/IMG_0653.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/hingehead/SKTUXChsdLI/AAAAAAAAAGY/OsOxcgUM2_Y/s400/IMG_0704.jpg
rdperrin

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:17 am
@ossobuco,
I came across this note of yours when I Googled "Pitigliano." You mention reading about Jews being hidden in caves there. Can you help me with a source, a book I could read about this? Would you please reply to my email address, [email protected]? Thanks so much. Rosemarie Perrin
Izzie

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:22 am
@hingehead,
OK HHHuhHUhhh...... you got the photos going..... FAB.... can't wait to see more

(picasa is great... you could always upload to a web album if that's easier)

WELL DONE YOU!!!! (had been checking the calendar on the 3rd sept.... HA HA!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:59 pm
@rdperrin,
rdperrin - I'm sorry, when I first got all interested in italy and its history, I read books about it almost like a bath of books.. and after I centered interest on piazzas, I read more and more, into the hundreds.

As a guess, perhaps the mention was in Luigi Barzini's The Italians, or Branko Bokun's Spy in the Vatican... but maybe neither of those. Perhaps a book by Bernard Berenson.. which I can't even remember the name of, and is least likely of the three - though I almost remember he was the source for information about jews being shot in the campo in Siena. Don't trust me, this is all floating memory. I still have the books but they're in boxes, so I can't easily find the books much less the writing about Pitigliano. I'll post back here if I ever build some bookshelves and empty those boxes.

I did look up Bokun, perhaps a year or two ago, and apparently he lives in england and is still writing (he would be well advancing in age by now..)
Perhaps you could find him online and send him a question. (He was head of the International Red Cross in Yugoslavia in the years of WWII.)