Austrian hid daughter 24 y in cellar, fathered 7 children

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:33 am
Bohne wrote:
I find it hard to believe that this has been voiced anywhere else apart from in a pub after quite a few beers![/color]

Well, The Guardian quoted the Mirror - and I don't doubt that it was printed there. (Similar in Austrian and German tabloids.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:00 am
hmmm...

I do this this as similar to how some other countries portray, the US, for instance.

Austria is full of sex fiends and hold deep dark secrets

The US is comprised of illiterate cud chewing fatsos.

I was reading something the other day on a link provided by news of this horrid story, that 1 out of 6 Austrian girls are sexually abused.

Is this true, or just another exaggeration? I don't know.
0 Replies

Roots Rock Reggae

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:04 am
I reckon the guy's wife didn't know, obviously he's a extremely manipulative person. And in some relationships the wife just does as she's told. Therefore being told not to go into the cellar she wouldn't do it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 07:27 am
Chai wrote:
hmmm...

I do this this as similar to how some other countries portray, the US, for instance.

I was reading something the other day on a link provided by news of this horrid story, that 1 out of 6 Austrian girls are sexually abused.

The figuresmostly quoted for the western world are from one to four to one in six.

Austria, if its figures are accurate (for obvious reasons these are estimates based on shaky data), is doing pretty well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 08:36 am
Chai wrote:

In the USA, 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18, according to the "darkness to light" website.

This site shows some different statistics, but for a couple of countries.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:06 am
dlowan wrote:
Chai wrote:
hmmm...

The figuresmostly quoted for the western world are from one to four to one in six.

Austria, if its figures are accurate (for obvious reasons these are estimates based on shaky data), is doing pretty well.

Crying or Very sad
shocking.

I do have to ask something dlowan. The figure for the western world...one in four or one in six, is that for incest, or does it include girls that are abused, but by someone other than a close relative?

The figure stated for Austria (I just looked up that article again) said it was for "within the home"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 03:33 pm
Chai wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Chai wrote:
hmmm...

Crying or Very sad
shocking.

I do have to ask something dlowan. The figure for the western world...one in four or one in six, is that for incest, or does it include girls that are abused, but by someone other than a close relative?

The figure stated for Austria (I just looked up that article again) said it was for "within the home"

Dunno what "in the home" means in your source, exactly....but that's where most girls/kids are abused....mums' partners, dads, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, friends of the family etc.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:33 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, The Guardian quoted the Mirror - and I don't doubt that it was printed there. (Similar in Austrian and German tabloids.)

I did not mean to say, that I don't think it was printed,
I tried to say that I find it unbelievable that anybody can make such a stupid remark!
0 Replies