Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:37 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,409 • Replies: 9
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:49 pm
So.. what are they going to do? Try to remove the birds?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:58 pm
Depending on the situation, they try to move or scare them away, and in some instances, shoot them. They are too smart to scare for long.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 01:12 pm
Buzzards have long been right behind owls as my favorite birds of prey.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:49 pm
I agree that it's very sad and ill-informed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:53 pm
They're prospering," said Tizard, who's studied birds for more than 40 years. "Clearly if they're killing cows that otherwise would live, that indeed is a cause for some significant concern

If that statement is correct, then they have to do something. I would hope for an effective relocation program.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 06:43 pm
He may have studied birds for 40 years, but note his use of the word "if". I think that means this is something he's heard from cattlemen, rather than observed.

Anyway, I've always thought turkey buzzards were kind of noble looking. Can't vouch for their breath.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 06:54 pm
At LAke Ligonier in western Maryland, developers had sold and built summer "cottages" along the lakefront, turning an originally beautiful places into another tighpacked suburban line of boxes with decks. Then the buzzards showed up. Under the migratory bird laws, they are to not be molested . The buzzards soon learned to perch on deck railings in the hundreds. Peoples houses looked like some Looney Toone set with"Littla Keeler's Mama" and her yenta friends all lined up. They reek of dead things and, when the mood hits them, they puke up a vile smelling caustic vomit that is highly corrosive. So peoples decks and roofs are being eaten away by buzzard puke and buzzard doo. The residents wanted their money back and they wanted the state to do something about all those buzzards

1You bought the place for a place in the country-buzzards epitomize country--so sorry on request 1(court declared in favor of the developers and the resultant hits on homeowner insurance policies is now being litigated under the "you should know this kinda stuff before you buy the place)

2State said"hell no we aint killing any buzzards, you should not have been feeding buzzards with dead fish and other offal stuff. (apparently a number of "doo gooders" saw to establishing a feed the vultures program. This went on for about a year till the buzzards got acclimated to the increased traffic and the increased fishkills from sewage discharges, and highway kills.
Buzzards never had it so good. Interestingly, a number of people whod installed cedar shake roofs were not affected because the cedar shakes were repellant. However, everybody has treated wood deks and these are gathering spots because these homes are owned by people who only live in them on weekends and on vacations. SInce everybody operates on different schedules, the buzzards have learned how to make their rounds of dwellings that were unoccupied.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:04 pm
Feeding them, then, would be like feeding seagulls. Enough is never enough.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:28 pm
That is funny! Sill humans.
0 Replies