You spin me right round baby, right round...

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 06:14 pm
My dog spins.

And spins.

And spins some more.

He gets a lot of exercise - we walk for about an hour a day, he has a treadmill that he puts in time on, we play stair fetch and yard fetch and kick ball.

And still he spins.

He mostly spins when anyone in the house tries to talk to anyone else in the house.

I've read that some herding breeds just do this but I would like it to stop.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,023 • Replies: 32
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:20 pm
Tie heavy rocks to the dog's ankles.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:33 pm
Or his tail...

Shocked

(doink, no more spinning dog for a bit...)

OK, maybe not... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:29 pm
Dog Whisperer's coming to town.

He's worked on spinners before.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:30 pm
for real? laying down or standing?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:34 pm
australian catta\le dog likes to jump underneath peoples jaw, it hurts SO BAD.

today i started hitting her. jump jump HITSFACE jump *SMACK*

jump jump jump HITSFACE

*smack*

jump HIT IN JAW

SMACK* SMCAK SMACK. *SMACK*

it seriously feels like gettin socked in the face( a REAL sock in the face, like when it lands perfectly), and she does it like 2-3 times if she gets excited. omg my wisdom tooth swole up and evwerything.

if it happens one more time i might really beat this dog, its ridiculous.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 02:38 am
OGIONIK wrote:
australian catta\le

if it happens one more time i might really beat this dog, its ridiculous.

Not while I'm around little man.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:46 am
And how he brags about being a responsible pet owner Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:10 am
He tail chase spins.

The Dog Whisper would be super cool but it would put my family in the position of being on TV and I don't really want that. For me, that would be a bigger hurdle than the spinning dog.

The opportunity to have him work with my dog might be enough to help me overcome my weirdness.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:21 pm
lol, i dont care what anyone says i hate that dog now. she really has a problem, if anyone has been head butted underneath their jaw you know what im talking about.

anyways i am a responsible pet owner, my dog doesnt fuckin hti people in the face with her head to the point where they cant ******* eat.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:36 pm
u guys dont understand what she does, she repeatedly whacks her head into the bottom of your jaw and she tries to run on you. i kicked her already becaus eshe was doing it to my neice and shes like 50 pounds., and im about to ******* shoot her. i dont know why she just started this behavior like 2 weeks ago and it keeps getting worse.

is she losing her mind maybe? or just being hyper and wanted to be petted?

i dont know wtf to do.

shes no longer allowed inside. simple solution but she barks like someone is torturing her, which is also pissing me off. which makes me want to smack her with a fuckin 2 x 4

i hate people who get dogs they dont care about then they go thru life untrained.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:43 pm
That's odd, Boom.

No advice, just curious to find out why would a dog do it?

Does he do it outside too?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:43 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
u guys dont understand what she does, she repeatedly whacks her head into the bottom of your jaw and she tries to run on you. i kicked her already becaus eshe was doing it to my neice and shes like 50 pounds., and im about to **** shoot her. i dont know why she just started this behavior like 2 weeks ago and it keeps getting worse.

is she losing her mind maybe? or just being hyper and wanted to be petted?

i dont know wtf to do.

shes no longer allowed inside. simple solution but she barks like someone is torturing her, which is also pissing me off. which makes me want to smack her with a **** 2 x 4

i hate people who get dogs they dont care about then they go thru life untrained.

I'm gonna kick you when you do something I don't like.

This is a working dog. built and bred to dominate animals 10 times its size. Like many Australians, fearless and intrepid. I probably doesn't belong in a domestic suituation.

What do you think kicking a dog teaches it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:48 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
That's odd, Boom.

No advice, just curious to find out why would a dog do it?

Does he do it outside too?

I have no idea why he does it. Like I said, it is mostly when anyone in the house is trying to talk to anyone else in the house. He does it more on weekends when everyone is home than during the week when it's mostly me.

An attention thing maybe?

He has free access between the house and our rather large yard so he can be outside whenever he wants to be.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:00 pm
My dog is a herding dog and he loves to jump. He can jump REALLY high too. I've controlled it by making a jump game where I give him a target (usually a stick) to aim for and saying "jump". When I put the stick down and stop saying jump he knows the game is over.

Still, sometimes when we first start his walk and again about the mid-way point he enjoys bouncing for a bit. He doesn't knock into me, thank goodness, because he would knock me flat. I have to stop walking, make him sit, give him a visual command (a flat palm over over his head) and wait until he settles down. He knows that if he wants to start moving again that he's going to have to not bounce.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:08 pm
My first dog was a herding dog - a Bearded collie.

God, I love those dogs. He never did spin though; but he would herd anyone small enough or silly enough that he could get away with it.

We lived close to the school and when he'd sometimes break loose - he spent most time outside - I remember more than one time being called from class to go fetch "the big sheep" that was herding the kids playing soccer.

Hehe. Is it wrong that it was funny when the big kids were scared of this silly fluff ball?

It really does sound like he is out for attention, your guy! Hey, look at me!
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:42 am
OGIONIK

I think the idea with the head butting is to

1. Yell "no, sit" when she's getting ready to spring

2. Bring your knee up so that you are not kicking her, but she does encounter a bony knee on the way to your jaw, and gets knocked back.

3. Put your hand up, palm down, between your faces as she jumps.

It sounds like a misplaced greeting behaviour but she has to know that it's not your favourite and the disapproval has to be right at the time the jumping is happening, not later.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 04:50 am
boomerang wrote:
He tail chase spins.

The Dog Whisper would be super cool but it would put my family in the position of being on TV and I don't really want that. For me, that would be a bigger hurdle than the spinning dog.

The opportunity to have him work with my dog might be enough to help me overcome my weirdness.

Maybe you could strap a large container which seals well to his back, and fill it with fruit, fruit juice, ice cream--you know, make smoothies and get some benefit out of his obsession.

If the dog is not otherwise a problem, i wouldn't worry about it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
Zoe and Bailey both spin when they get really excited.

But I think that constant spinning is sort of an OCD issue. Perhaps you can pay attention when he does it and try to identify the trigger.

Does he do it when he's anxious? Upset? Happy? Excited? Then I'd try and remove the trigger or recondition him to act differently when the trigger is present.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 06:55 am
Found this:

Quote:
What is tail chasing or spinning in dogs?

Compulsive tail chasing may be a displacement or compulsive disorder in some dogs, other causes include a form of epilepsy, physical discomfort and medical illness. Some cases such as those seen in Bull and Staffordshire terriers may exhibit a more intense spinning or whirling behavior Other concurrent behavior problems such as aggression have been reported in "spinning" Bull Terriers. In some cases, the problem may have started as an incidental or play behavior that was conditioned (rewarded) by the owner. Once underlying medical problems are treated and an epileptic disorder has been ruled out, behavior and drug therapy is usually the same as for other compulsive disorders (see above).
0 Replies