is france making promoting thinness illegal for real?

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:52 am
just read an email about it, is it legit?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:58 am
Is what legit?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:06 am
The French National Assembly has passed a bill which seeks to criminalise the promotion in the media of extreme thinness.
This bill targets pro-anorexia websites and publications that encourage girls and young women to starve themselves.

See here

I don't know about your email, but the French 'loi' is very legit.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:35 am
With respect, it's only a bill and not a "loi" until also passed by the French Senate and signed by their President.

Their lower house of parliament did just pass it - and the French couture houses are getting furious Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:48 am
High Seas wrote:
With respect, it's only a bill and not a "loi" until also passed by the French Senate and signed by their President.

Avec tout le respect que je toi dois - it's une proposition de loi
and not a bill :wink:

From today's Le Figaro (page 10)

http://i26.tinypic.com/2wcfog4.jpg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:54 am
A proposition de loi is called a "bill" in the US Walter - you knew that, surely!

It becomes a law only after both houses pass it and the president signs it, here also.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:04 am
But it's neither a bill that passes Le Sénat nor does the US president sign a proposition de loi Laughing

(Yes, I've been a bit sloppy in my first response.)
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:07 am
Pace, Walter Smile

This, btw, is the only defile I saw so far this year >
http://photos.modeaparis.com/?nicepage=photos&wlang=fr&egomarket_action=pictures&egomarket_pictid=14255
> and I can't imagine these clothes on anyone much fatter than these models. I loved the clothes!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:44 am
High Seas wrote:
and I can't imagine these clothes on anyone much fatter than these models. I loved the clothes!

Lovely defile, HS!

But we (and the proposition de loi) are not talking about these beautiful models whose figures are perfect.

We are talking about this:

http://www.infos-des-medias.net/mt4/mt-static/FCKeditor/UserFiles/Image/image%20people/isabelle_caro.jpg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm
That's a true medical horror, Francis, but there are many horrors in this world. Banning people from discussing them on or off the internet seems to me to infringe on personal liberties; for the same reasons I'm categorically opposed to the EU (and elsewhere, like Switzerland) laws banning Nazi paraphernalia and the like.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:16 pm
We are not taking away the right for people to "talk" about anorexia.

This law (when voted, but I've no doubt it will) will forbid people making the apology of anorexia.

As, at least for me, it's akin to self-torture it falls in the same context as laws forbiding the apology of torture.

But it's obviously, only my own opinion.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:32 pm
uhh, i dont know if she knows, but guys like something to grab onto.
0 Replies