Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:32 pm
Hey all. They are planning on digging, drilling or whatever they do for uranium in my area and everyone here is in a panic and desperate to stop it.
I'm going to do everything in my power to help the cause and I'm hoping to get your help as well.
I'm adding a link to the petition and hoping some of you wouldn't mind taking a second to sign it. It's free and they only need your name and email.

If they go through with this, we're going to have to sell everything and leave the area, which would break my heart.

Petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/uraniumstantoine?e
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,598 • Replies: 58

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:55 pm
Where can I petition FOR the mine opening???

(just kidding)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:00 pm
Laughing Hey, did you sign it? Where ya been Slappy?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:07 pm
I signed. Good luck, Montana, sorry you're having to deal with this. Sad Sounds awful.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:13 pm
Thank you so much Cypher, I appreciate it very much. I'm really stressing about this because I love it here. We are planning on selling the house within the next few years, but our plans were to stay in the area. If they go through with this, we'll have to leave :-(
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:17 pm
Sorry. Given the misinformation in the petition, I can't sign it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:18 pm
What do you mean Beth?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:25 pm
I mean that a lot of the comments in the petition do not have good scientific basis. It reads like simple NIMBY (not in my backyard) hysteria.

I can't support something like that - not even as a favour (which was why I went to read it - even though it wouldn't directly impact me, I would have signed it "as a favour" if it was a solid document).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:30 pm
It's been all over the news here Beth. If you didn't want to sign it, no problem, but what you said will prevent others from signing it and I don't appreciate that very much.

There's no mis information about it!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
Montana, I am so sorry you have to go through this, but am glad to see that people are organizing.

If you know the author of the petition, it might be useful to help them reformulate the petition somewhat. Firstly, what is the petition for (to whom will it go? It should be formulated a bit more formally, addressed to the authorities and supported with facts instead of as a letter from neighbor to neighbor, venting) Secondly, which company is building this mine? Which foreign country is going to benefit from it (that bit is entirely unclear in the letter). I'm not sure how raw uranium is harmful, but I'm sure there are studies out there that can be referred to...etc. etc... I think if it has all those points, both media and authorities will take it even more seriously.

Best of luck with your efforts, and let us know if we can help in any other way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:39 pm
Montana, this is an area I want people to make sure they understand.

I encourage everyone who considers signing the petition to do their own research.

There are a lot of misconceptions about uranium mining and nuclear energy facilities out there. That petition repeated a number of the "popular" ones.

People need to understand what they are being asked to sign - and that particular document should not be signed simply because of its excited tone.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:44 pm
I'll have to do some research to get all that info here and I'm strapped for time, so I'll do it when I can.

I didn't think I'd have to post every detail and do endless research to get support here, but I guess I was wrong.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:47 pm
If this happens, it will bring down my property value, not to mention the health risks involved and I thought that would be enough to get some support.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:51 pm
Montana wrote:
I'll have to do some research to get all that info here and I'm strapped for time, so I'll do it when I can.

I didn't think I'd have to post every detail and do endless research to get support here, but I guess I was wrong.

What research did you do before YOU signed the petition? you could post the results of that research.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:52 pm
http://www.ratical.org/radiation/WorldUraniumHearing/GordonEdwards.html
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:04 pm
http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=1104
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:09 pm
http://www.gnb.ca/cnb/news/nr/2007e0714nr.htm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:11 pm
They can come on my land, drill a massive hole and I can't do a damn thing about it!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:15 pm
This is very real and the dangers of uranium is also very real.

This will have a major negative impact on my life (financially & physically) if this happens. It will hurt everyone in my community!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:54 pm
For those who don't know, uranium is used to make nuclear weapons and was used to make the H-BOMB.

It's the deadliest material on the planet and when mined, becomes airborn, blowing where the wind decides to take it.

It causes cancer, along with deformation and retardation in unborn children.

It contaminates all the land within a 100 mile radious (some say 1000 miles), along with our water.

Bottom line, it kills and deforms people and all for weapons that will kill and deform other people.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
0 Replies