ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:04 am
Understand.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 01:32 pm
Anyone you know ever been diagnosed by way of an x-ray?

Anyone you know ever been treated for cancer by way of radioisotopes?
http://www.uic.com.au/nip26.htm

Remember the uproar in December 2007?
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/12/07/radioisotope-alternative.html

~~~

The reality is that the uranium has to be sourced somewhere.

~~~

You definitely want to be sure that all possible safety measures are taken, but NIMBY?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:48 pm
Beth, it's not like they're planning on drilling these mines in the middle of no where. This is right smack in the middle of where we live.

I don't like x-rays because they're dangerous, although, I know they're needed. That goes for anything else which contains radiation. My doc won't even have me go for a mamogram because he has issues with radiation and knows the true harm it really does. Plus I'm a very low risk.

The research I've done talks about the devistation a uranium mine can/has/does to people in the communities surrounding a mine.

Maybe if they would stop using uranium for military weapons used to kill people, they would have more than enough uranium dug from the places that are in the middle of no where to supply all the medical needs.

This mine isn't even supplying uranium for Canada. It's purpose is to ship it out to other countries, so are we suppose to just sit back and allow them to kill us for the sake of supplying others with it?

My real estate agent said they (the uranium people + government) were saying that they weren't doing it for the money and started throwing out bullshit that they were doing it to supply people with jobs.

Oh boy, how nice of them to bring us jobs that will literally kill us, while they're begging people to come to this area to fill the countless of jobs they can't fill now.

If this was being done in the middle of no where, you wouldn't hear a peep from me, but this is a residential area smack in the middle of where thousands of people live and since shipping uranium off to other countries means more to them than our lives, land and environment, we need to fight with everything we have to try to prevent it.

Maybe our lives mean nothing to them, but we're not willing to die for their precious uranium, so they can supply other countries with yet more deady military weapons.

We'd be fighting just as hard if the uranium were to stay in Canada, so we're not willing to die for our own either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:04 pm
I know that I'm no expert on uranium. The research I've done can be confusing because there's so much to know.

I was told that the mining itself is safe and that the problems come when old mines are left open and where to put the waste. Either way, it's not a good thing.

They will also be allowed to come on our property to dig, which of course, is another issue.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but it's only because I care about my community.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:27 pm
I still need to do much more research on this and talk to as many people as I can who are educated in uranium mining.

I do feel much less stressed about it now after speaking with someone who has knowledge in this area and has told me that the mining these days is done safely, but I'm still very concerned.

The stories I've read are a very scary thing and when you hear that they are coming to your community, it's hard to believe that it's done safely, when you read stories of people telling their stories of how they lost their families due to uranuim mines and how they were all told that it was safe.

It just scares the heck out of me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 04:55 pm
Still reading and researching. Seems that the biggest danger isn't of the mining itself, it's of the disposal of the uranium tailings, which raises my concern again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:14 pm
Back to being very concerned.

Uranium
Canada is the largest exporter of uranium ore in the world. Northern Saskatchewan is home to all of Canada's uranium mines. Roughly half of the supply of uranium comes from mining; the balance comes from decommissioned nuclear weapons.

Uranium is mined in open pit and underground mines, sometimes along with copper and gold, and also by in-situ leaching. In-situ leaching requires pumping acid or alkaline solution underground and trying to recover the resulting solution once it contains enough uranium.

Uranium is toxic and radioactive and is silver-white in colour when refined. Uranium is used for nuclear power, nuclear weapons, and for medical isotopes.

The environmental effects of uranium mining include the contamination of ground water with dissolved metals and radioactive materials, dispersal of radioactive dust, and releases of radioactive gas into the air. When uranium ore is processed, 85% of the radioactivity is left behind in the tailings, and must be managed safely for hundreds of thousands of years.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:43 pm
Montana, I have signed the petition, but I ask that you find out from the person or group, the destination of the petition.

More important, please pay attention to dag's suggestions. She not only is supportive, but she has offered helpful, vital advice on the effectiveness of the petition.

Talking to your mayor may or may not be helpful. Newspapers, higher ups in the government, more relevant contacts and, as Dag said, a better written petition will probably give you a greater hope of actually making a difference.

There is a tragic history of the effects of sloppy mining practices. Mining is safer now, but I don't know of any mining company known for its altruism. They usually get away with whatever they can without being found out--or they are fined a tiny amount compared to their profits.

I would be terribly worried too, but emotions are often counter-productive in such an important issue.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:35 pm
Hey Montana

http://www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic/programs/economies/uranium/action_letter.htm

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/stop-uranium-mining-in-new-brunswick-nova-scotia.html

Good Luck
e
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:37 pm
Montana.....I'm with you on this. I wouldn't want that in my back yard either.

Petition signed.

Don't give up the fight.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:39 pm
Diane wrote:
Montana, I have signed the petition, but I ask that you find out from the person or group, the destination of the petition.

More important, please pay attention to dag's suggestions. She not only is supportive, but she has offered helpful, vital advice on the effectiveness of the petition.

Talking to your mayor may or may not be helpful. Newspapers, higher ups in the government, more relevant contacts and, as Dag said, a better written petition will probably give you a greater hope of actually making a difference.

There is a tragic history of the effects of sloppy mining practices. Mining is safer now, but I don't know of any mining company known for its altruism. They usually get away with whatever they can without being found out--or they are fined a tiny amount compared to their profits.

I would be terribly worried too, but emotions are often counter-productive in such an important issue.

You're absolutely right Diane and I know Dag is right as well. I thank you both very very much for your support and advice and I'm so sorry that I'm so emotional about all this. I keep trying to stop myself from letting it get to me so much, but this is my home and I feel so helpless.

I've taken some needed quiet time tonight to think about all this and to work on chilling myself out. This is not an easy task for this ball of high anxiety, but I'm working on it.

I've calmed down quite a bit since I first caught wind of this, so that's a good thing. When I get upsetting news like this, I always go through my freak out stage before I calm down and start working things out. You guys might have noticed that about me throughout the years Embarrassed

Thankfully my emotional freak out stage is over and now I can focus on what steps I can take to further help my community to calmly fight this. I'm lucky enough to live in a community who loves their community enough to keep on fighting for their rights. They just don't give up, so that'll give me a chance to actually have a life.

There's a man in town I'm meanin to snag and I need to leave myself some time to work on that. I've been alone way too long and since he's not shy about speaking his mind, we could fight the cause together :-D

Thanks again, Diane, for your support and advice.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:41 pm

Thank you so much Endymion! You're awesome :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:56 pm
JustBrooke wrote:
Montana.....I'm with you on this. I wouldn't want that in my back yard either.

Petition signed.

Don't give up the fight.

Hey girl, thanks a million. I hate fighting with anyone, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Jeeez, just when I thought I was gonna get a bit of a break in my life, I gotta go fight another battle <sigh>

Well, at least I'm not alone and I'm surrounded by a community of people who are not afraid of a fight. I kinda think they like it Laughing

I'm also blessed with having you guys here as well who have been so very supportive and I can't thank you enough!

I go back to work next week, so that'll help burn up all the anxiety and it'll get me out there to talk with others about this.

I'll keep you posted on things as they go along.

Thank you all :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:15 am
Watched a program about uranium mining last night. It talked about all the lies people continue to be fed about the dangers, so it looks like I have reason to be concerned.

What they were saying is that it's no safer now than it ever was and that we are all simply being lied too over and over again by our government and the mining companies.

It's all about the $ and F**k the people.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:11 pm
Just wanted to stop in and say hi and also to mention that we won the fight against the local uranium mining Smile
Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:14 pm
@Montana,
Wow....

and cool.

(think ima go buy a lottery ticket now...)
Montana

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:16 pm
@Rockhead,
LOL Rockhead. Great to see ya and good luck with that ticket Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

Just wanted to stop in and say hi and also to mention that we won the fight against the local uranium mining Smile

Excellent!

Reminds me of the fight we won here against the natural gas fired power plant that was proposed to be built near the Huntingdon-Abbotsford border crossing. It would have been terrible for the air in the Fraser Valley.
Montana

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 03:42 pm
@Reyn,
Howdy Reyn, great to see you Smile

Yes, it was a hell of a fight and I still can't believe we won. People in these parts made lots of noise when need be, lol.
0 Replies