Sparky the Dryer

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 02:42 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Well... so I may be up **** creek with out a paddle then?

I do not know what to do with this dryer now..
It wont turn on. No matter what, and I am afraid to plug it in again..

why wouldnt I have seen this issue before though?
Especially when moving it to clean?

Are things like this caused by storms? Or is that just an old wives tale..

It is possible that something could have happened as a result of the storm. It is more likely though that you did things in a different sequence when you hooked it up before though.

Usually when I install a dryer I connect the vent first, then push the dryer back into place before plugging it in. If you did that the dryer vent tube may actually be acting as your ground. (which isn't good, but you wouldn't have gotten the sparks!)

DrewDad wrote:
I have nifty little tool in my work toolkit that will test 110 outlets. Checks for polarity and ground, has three little lights and a legend to tell you what they mean.

Costs about $10 at Lowes or Home Depot.

They might have something similar for 220, but then again....

I have a bunch of them for 110v too. Never seen one for 220v though. Sad If I ever do I'll snatch a few up because it'd be a lot easier then pulling out the voltmeter.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:13 pm
considering the fact that putting that vent on is a monster of a job, I am willing to bet that is what we did BEFORE plugging it in.

Right now, we can not pull it out far enough with out also removing the kitchen table to get to the back to reattach it.

Maybe I will do that later tonight and see if I can get my dryer working again..
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:23 pm
Be careful shewolfm. One hundred and ten volts kill. Two twenty is ever so much more dangerous. Old building. Head scratching. Bad combination. Consult a certified electrician.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:25 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Maybe I will do that later tonight and see if I can get my dryer working again..

This is really not something to experiment with.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:27 pm
Wolfie, I am only an hour away.

Don't make me steal that private jet to come talk some sense into you...

Cool
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:42 pm
Don't you have a landlord that should be handling this?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:48 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Don't you have a landlord that should be handling this?

AHAHAHAHAH...

that actually made me laugh out loud.

Yes. I have a landlord.

A landlord that has stood by while I repaired the tub, repainted, fixed baseboards, repaired the fridge, re-hung and purchased new doors, windows, added lattice work to the stairs, replaced weak and breaking stair steps , oh.. blah blah blah.. the list is long..

The tub is still leaking , and pretty bad at this point.. There is nothing you can do to perfectly repair a fiberglass tub beside tearing a hole in the wall and placing a support beam under neath it..
I tol dhim about this almost 3 months ago Rolling Eyes

My landlord is a great guy.... but a horrible land lord.

THIS- if I want it done, just like everything else, I will have to do it myself..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:49 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Wolfie, I am only an hour away.

Don't make me steal that private jet to come talk some sense into you...

Cool

Put your money where your mouth is , and I will make you dinner..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:51 pm
let's hear from alex again

alex240101 wrote:
Be careful shewolfm.

One hundred and ten volts kill.

Two twenty is ever so much more dangerous.

Old building. Head scratching. Bad combination.

Consult a certified electrician.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:56 pm
Is that something a landlord should pay for if it turns out to be a faulty appliance?

Calling a technician that is..

And trust me, I do not plan on doing anything else.
I have tried just plugging the dryer in and nothing happened. That is more then I want to right now.
Not that we can afford a new dryer plus 60 bucks an hour for someone to test our circuits..

I may just buy some wire, and go the hillbilly route and dedicate my back porch to clothes drying during the summer..

ugh..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:58 pm
Line-drying is the environmentally correct way to go.

(my neighbourhood is full of clotheslines that get action even in snowiest winters as long as the sun is shining)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:02 pm
shewolf get an electrician.

When he arrives give him a sob story, little girl in the house, landlord wont fix things etc.

My guess is the dryer is cactus.

There should be a residential tenancy tribunal for you to appeal to. they will force your landlord to make necessary repairs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:06 pm
Re: Sparky the Dryer
shewolfnm wrote:
We bought a dryer from my cousins friend when we moved here.

You own the dryer? that might impact what the landlord's responsible for - check your lease/tenancy agreement
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:09 am
An electrician can tell you if the receptacle was properly grounded.
If it was, too bad for you, you need a new dryer.
If it wasn't, you have cause against the landlord.
He owes you a new dryer.

Yeah. I know none of this is going to happen.
But you can send him( Nice Guy) a certified letter stating that you have had it. That the electrical problem is a danger to you and your family (because IT IS) and that you are going to have it fixed at his expense (rent withheld for the balance) unless he gets it repaired in ten days of receipt of the letter.
Then do it.
Get it repaired.
Buy a new dryer.
Hold the rent.
Be prepared to show in Tenents Court or whatever they call it in Texas that you gave notice. That the condition was a safety and health issue (so's the tub, but whatever) and that once the repairs were paid for you resumed paying your full rent.

Don't be a victim of Mr. Nice Guy.

ALSO

NO WIRING OUT TO THE BACK PORCH!!!!!
That's not hillbilly, that's stupidity and grounds for eviction.
Take the damp clothes to the launderette until you get a dryer.

(Most place these days prohibit hanging clothes on lines. You can get evicted for that too.

Joe(My mother would be shocked.)Nation
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:56 am
As a fully qualified Journeyman Electrician with my TQ and IP etc I can tell you with assurance that the amount of misinformation on this thread represents a clear and present danger.

Act on it at your risk! Or as some have suggested, get a qualified Electrical Contractor to assess.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:10 am
as of right now the dryer is unplugged.

Should I be concerned about the appliance? Or the outlet?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:25 am
If the dryer is not connected to anything you have no worries.......as long as it stays disconnected.

As to the dryer outlet, and any other devices and wiring in your abode, sight unseen, and given your description, you may or may not have a hazard.

I can't be more explicit unless more information is forthcoming and to do that safely you need meters, tools and knowledge.

How many prongs does the dryer plug have (male end)?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:49 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:48 am
Chumly got it right, as did some others posting here. Please don't plug it in again, or try to fix it yourself. It's not worth it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:08 am
Given you have 4 prongs, then at least the dryer may be wired appropriately; however it means you are dealing with 240 volts in addition to 120 volts.

240 volts is the highest nominal RMS voltage for single-phase residential, you don't want to go there, Edgar is right!
0 Replies