Sparky the Dryer

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:57 am
We bought a dryer from my cousins friend when we moved here.
We stored it for about 6 months before we moved.. so all together we have had it for maybe 2 1/2 years at best??

yesterday we had a small storm first thing in the morning with lightning.
When I woke up, I could not turn on our dryer.
The only reason the storm needs to be mentioned is because we live in a 35 year old building whos wiring can not handle a vacuum cleaner + microwave on one wall.

Anyway

We figured out that a breaker blew, so we reset it and Voila.. dryer works.

Went to push the dryer back against the wall and when the exhause pipe touched the dryer .. KA-BOOM.

Sparks. Shocked BIG ones
Blew out the entire apartment.

Now the vent tube... or what ever you call that thing that hooks to the back of the dryer and to the wall to let out the hot air... was NOT connected to the dryer while we were pushing it back.
In fact, the vent tube only touched the bottom of the dryer where the tube was supposed to be hooked to it anyway.

Dryer does not turn on now at all..
No breakers are blown either.

Is it strange that the bottom of the dryer would have that much charge in it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,157 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:22 am
I wonder if the cause was a blown capacitor. I once had a TV that we hadn't used in quite a while. When we turned it on, "Poof"...............smoke came out of the set, and it would not work.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:47 am
Sounds like there was an electrical charge on the dryer vent/duct.

Grounded out through the dryer when it made contact.

Why there would be an electrical charge on the dryer vent is beyond me though; perhaps the duct is shared between apartments, and someone else was having electrical problems.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:51 am
Where the duct is, there is no one there.
We live in a 4 plex, on the very top left.
The vent is to the left of our apartment venting outside so we do not share a wall with anyone.. nor is the person directly below us on the same area with their dryer.

Im afraid to plug it back in.

How can I tell year of manufacture on a dryer? Im wondering if it is just time to junk it and buy a new one..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
Had to have been something else besides the vent even if the vent was the good aluminum kind and not the icky plastic and wire kind.

Is this thing 110-120Volts or 220 volts?

If it's 110volts (the regular kind, like on that microwave and vacuum) :

Check the power to the dryer (Unplug the cord first) Are there burns marks on the wall receptacle? Plug something else in there (A lamp, a radio, .... just to see if it's working. If it's not, change the receptacle. Not a big deal I can talk you through it.

If the wall receptacle is working check out the dryer cord. Both at the plug end and where it joins to the dryer. Got burn marks? Probably got shorted out. Hmmmm if the short went all the way through the dryer motor it's toast, but if it's only the dryer cord..... a trip to the hardware store and twenty two dollars (NYC prices) for a six to nine foot cord could fix everything.

There's three screws holding it on the dryer, loosen those take it with you.

BTW most circuits in the US are 15 AMPs. A microwave and a vacuum together pull more** than 15 amps so, yup, you can cook or you can clean but you can't do both at the same time on the same circuit.

(**But, but but said my younger brother, the microwave is only about 6 Amps and the vacuum is about the same... 6 and 6 only equals 12. How come it's blows the 15amp circuit?? "
"Because, my tall, extremely smart math person brother guy," I replied, " when the vacuum cleaner motor strains to pick up that glob of dog hair off the couch it's amperage use goes up. This it true for any electric motor. It might pull as much as 70 amps for a second or two, a breaker can handle this momentarily (so can a time-delay fuse) but if the microwave is trying to send a burst at the same second as the vacuum cleaner is sucking extra hard on that throw rug tassel edge -- lights out."

Joe(Black wire on the bronze screw, White wire on the silver screw)Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:02 am
Gotta get the little woman to day care right now.

When I return, I will pull the dryer back out and check..
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:16 am
sshewolf
shewolfnm wrote:
Gotta get the little woman to day care right now.

When I return, I will pull the dryer back out and check..

Proceed VERY carefully, darlin. Do you have a rubber mat to stand on just in case.

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:09 am
The little label on the back has many referrances to 10 awg, and recommends an outlet that can take up to 30 awg.

But I do not know if it is 100, 110 or higher.. I do not see anything that specifies .

There are no burn marks around the outlet.
None on the vent hose and none on the vent.

I can not plug anything else into the outlet that the dryer has because it is the funky, large, 4 holed plug that only dryers and other large appliances take.

The outlet that shares the wall ( but maybe not the same circuit) is used by the washer and the washer still turns on just fine.

I see no burn marks on the wire.. but I do not know that I COULD.. most of it is inside the dryer and the small piece that I can see under the thick black part of the wire has no burn marks.. (?)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:22 am
you got 220 sweets.

be careful
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:10 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I can not plug anything else into the outlet that the dryer has because it is the funky, large, 4 holed plug that only dryers and other large appliances take.

Errr.. Was the dryer plugged in when all of this happened?

One way or another you've got issues but if it was plugged in then you have issues that need to be addressed by an electrician (soon!).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:20 am
Thinking about this some more, I'm wondering if the outlet is improperly grounded.

Dryer is plugged in and runs, then you move it until it touches something metal and then... zappo!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:23 am
fishin wrote:

One way or another you've got issues but if it was plugged in then you have issues that need to be addressed by an electrician (soon!).

Plugged in when the sparks happened? Yes.

Plugged in when I was trying other outlets around it? No
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:24 am
DrewDad wrote:
Thinking about this some more, I'm wondering if the outlet is improperly grounded.

Would I have noticed problems like this before if that were the case?
We have been here for about 2 years, and I have scooted the dryer around a few times to sweep, grab clothes that have fallen..etc..

never before has this happened..

And no, I have not scooted it in several months so it could not be that I disconnected it the last time I did.. ( I dont think?)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:54 am
shewolfnm wrote:
fishin wrote:

Plugged in when the sparks happened? Yes.

Plugged in when I was trying other outlets around it? No

If it was plugged in when the sparks happened then either the ground in the outlet is defective or the vent hose was touching something else (like a water pipe maybe?) and whatever it was touching had an electrical current on it. (or both!) In either case, it should be fixed correctly.

A few years back the standard plug for a dryer was a 30 amp/220V 3-prong connector. That provided 2 "hot" lines and a neutral line. They changed the electrical code to require all new dryers sold to have a 4-prong plug - 2 hot wires, a neutral and a ground.

What happened in a lot of places was someone would remove the old 3 prong outlet and replace it wit ha 4-prong outlet so they could plug their new dryer in. What they didn't do was run a proper ground wire to that 4th prong. Without it, the chassis (the metal case) of your dryer can carry an electrical charge and zap someone, or, as in your case create a spark if the exhaust vent isn't tightly secured in place.

Those exhaust vents tend to collect lint/dust and a spark can result in a fire in a house pretty easily.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:35 pm
Is there anyway someone who is not electrically inclined might be able to find out if that is the case?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:37 pm
i do not have the slightest clue about any of this, but would just like to say that i like to word 'receptacle' a lot.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:46 pm
<snort>

ZZZap
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:50 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Is there anyway someone who is not electrically inclined might be able to find out if that is the case?

Not really. That's not something I'd feel comfortable talking someone through if they didn't know what they are doing. I don't mind zapping myself once in a while but I'd hate to get you zapped. You wouldn't like me much any more. Embarrassed
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 01:20 pm
Well... so I may be up **** creek with out a paddle then?

I do not know what to do with this dryer now..
It wont turn on. No matter what, and I am afraid to plug it in again..

why wouldnt I have seen this issue before though?
Especially when moving it to clean?

Are things like this caused by storms? Or is that just an old wives tale..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 02:05 pm
I have nifty little tool in my work toolkit that will test 110 outlets. Checks for polarity and ground, has three little lights and a legend to tell you what they mean.

Costs about $10 at Lowes or Home Depot.

They might have something similar for 220, but then again....
0 Replies