questions to ask about the muslim religion

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:34 am
I need 10 questons to interview someone about thier Muslim religion to write a paper.

All I could come up with was:
1)What are the important holidays and traditions of this religion?
2)How has religion shaped your life?
3)What are the challenges, if any, to practicing this particular religion?

Any suggestions?
Please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 24,787 • Replies: 16
Topic Closed
No top replies

muslim1

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:43 am
greeniiz111 wrote:
I need 10 questons to interview someone about thier Muslim religion to write a paper.

All I could come up with was:
1)What are the important holidays and traditions of this religion?
2)How has religion shaped your life?
3)What are the challenges, if any, to practicing this particular religion?

Any suggestions?
Please

Hi,

I thank you very much for having interest in my religion. I do not pretend to represent Islam, but I'll try to give answers to your questions as best as I can.

1) There are mainly two holidays in Islam: Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Adha
- Eid-ul-Fitr: is the day that marks the end of Ramadan (the month of Fasting, the month in which the Qur'an was first revealed)
- Eid-ul-Adha: is the day that marks the end of the Hajj season (pilgrimage to Makkah)
Moreover, Muslims commemorate the day of "Ashura" to celebrate the day in which Prophet Moses (Peace be upon him) freed the Israelites from the bondage of the Pharaoh.
Also, Friday is an important day in Islam.

2) Islam is considered to be a whole way of life, which means that is completely and totally shapes my life

3) There are many challenges to practicing Islam. Let me mention a few:
- One has to make an effort in order to follow the commands of his/her Creator Allah (the Arabic word for God)
- Following the commands of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him)
- A Muslim has to strive against his/her evil desires

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:16 am
I had a thread here a while back asking a question about the virgin Mary and was surprised to learn the prominence that she and Jesus hold within Islam. I think it might have even been you, muslim1, that educated me on the topic.

I think this would be a fascinating question to have answered in your interview.

You might also ask about foods/fasting associated with holidays.

About how often they pray and how they pray.

About the signifigance of the garments they wear.

About the importance of having beards.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:19 am
Oh! You might ask about the different sects!
0 Replies

spacemanspiff1313

Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:40 pm
what i think is right
i know i am new but i believe that there is more truth in what the Christing
Bible says then what the koran says
(not trying to disrespect you but i am a bad speller)
that is just a theory.
that i feel in my heart that i guess others don't
it is just what i believe

please tell me what you think
(i may not answer because i am not on very much)

i will try answer your thoughts

God loves you and he died for you.
Smile
thanks for your time
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:02 pm
No disrespect but...

GOD died for me!?

God is dead?

<sigh>

There goes the neighborhood.

Welcome to A2K, spacemanspiff.

Just a warning: people here will question you and your faith (maybe even me).
0 Replies

vikorr

Sat 3 May, 2008 06:47 pm
How was Islam founded

Did the prophet command his followers to convert by the sword

Did the prophet do deals to get people to convert

Why 72 virgins (I think that was the number) and an everlasting orgasm

Why is it acceptable to lie to unbelievers

Why are unbelievers treated as second class citizens

Why are women not afforded equal rights to men

Why do so many muslims look down on the West (trick question, cause the West does much the same to them)

Why is Islam involved in 80% of the worlds conflicts (Christianity is involved in roughly 60% btw)

What is beautiful about your religion

What is not so beautiful about it

Does it give you peace

Does it create anger and things that don't meet your religions expectations

What if your child did not believe

Do you try to convert your friends and neighbours

Do you believe in the literal word

Do you think that the country you live in should follow Sharia law

Would the world be at peace if it was all Islamic

What is the difference between Sunni and Shiite. Do you consider the other to be Muslim

What is Wahabi (can't remember exactly how it's spelt - it's practiced mostly in Saudi Arabia)

Why are some muslim countries more strict than others

Is divorce accepted, and under what conditions

What are mens attitudes towards sex

What are womens attitudes towards sex

Who gets the final say in disputes between men and women

I'm sure there's more I could think up, but that's enough for now.
Miller

Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:11 am
Quote:
And Allah knows best

Do you remember the TV show, "Father Knows Best"?
0 Replies

Deckland

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
@vikorr,
Looks like no takers to answer your questions vikorr.
Why am I not surprised .
Maybe the answers are too embarrassing.
0 Replies

Deckland

Sat 6 Sep, 2008 03:29 pm
Islam group urges forest fire jihad
AUSTRALIA has been singled out as a target for "forest jihad" by a group of Islamic extremists urging Muslims to deliberately light bushfires as a weapon of terror.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/islam-group-urges-forest-fire-jihad-20080906-4b53.html

Is this the way of Allah ?
I certainly hope not.
0 Replies

Deckland

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
McCartney Threatened with Suicide Bombing if He Sings in Israel

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/127602

Words escape me !!!

azul

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 12:29 am
@Deckland,
People aren't responding because obviously some of these people are already prejudiced against Islam and are just baiting for an argument.

Individuals who are sincere about learning another religion wouldn't phrase their questions in such an ignorant and hateful manner...
Deckland

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@azul,
azul, I am sorry that the questions on this thread have offended you, but I have found on here that people usually ask the hard questions first and not the easy ones.
With regards to my posts re the newspaper articles, I was hoping for a comment or denial etc, but no replies, so I guess the articles were true and we just move on.
Anyway, thank you for your reply.
0 Replies

Justice 100

Mon 13 Aug, 2012 09:55 pm
@greeniiz111,
1: there are 2 main holidays in islam. one is celebrating the end of Ramadan and the other celebrating the profit Abraham not sacrificing Ismael but sacrificing a lamb instead. 2:it has greatly influenced me to be patient and to be kind to all people 3: there are many challenges we as muslims refer to dealing with these challenges as Jihad. if there is any thing you do that you know is wrong, that you really want to stop you try your best to stop...
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
PoliteMight

Sat 21 May, 2022 09:23 am
@vikorr,
Not but have been reading.

1. How was Islam founded

Parts of modern day religious practices has probably been around forever. You have to look at archeologist findings. It goes on forever. Christianity is probably the most latest variant, and so forth and so forth. You have to put religion in a family tree ( like people ) and connect the dots.

2. Did the prophet command his followers to convert by the sword
As with Judaism or Christianity there has been wars and means of defense.

3. Did the prophet do deals to get people to convert.
In Islam their are many prophets no different then Judaism and Christianity.
Your asking about the founder of Islam Muhammad? Was a honest working man in which his spoken word led to the founding of modern day Islam. However war ( Mecca ) came to be in which power fell on to him and destroyed other idols that was being worshiped around the Kaaba ( a religious historical site ).

4. Why 72 virgins (I think that was the number) and an everlasting orgasm

The reward of work ( effort ) is women. That you work towards god so your able to maintain a household. The greatest joy are women. That a man should be able to provide and live clean as possible while providing for his woman. The old-world Europe, Africa, and Asia all have belief systems where there is marriage but men could have more then one women under one roof. The problem is the idea of marriage of love v. business. People get married to people to preserve their race, for their lively-hoods, and family needs.

5. Why is it acceptable to lie to unbelievers

In my opinion irregardless of religious beliefs. People associated with their religious practices shuns others who do not. Meaning many people no matter what religion ( based on belief system ) would often sense "stranger-danger" mentality towards those not in the flock.

6.Why are unbelievers treated as second class citizens

See answer for 5.

7.Why are women not afforded equal rights to men

That has nothing to do with religion but culture. You "let him win" it will be alright. If we took away all jobs from the gals and gave it to the guys the worlds economic would actually slowly repair itself. It would be like the end of "Tron" or "Superman 4". Everything would light up and all would be right as rain.

Womens rights is something to do with the nature of government and mentalities of people. The reality in modern world many women who talk about such ideas live the lives of traditionalists. So those people are not allowing the men of other races, cultures, and religions to thrive how could there be womens rights.

That being said some religions people can jump in and out of it and still be accepted back into the flock. All the while damaging the ability to function as normal human beings.

If anything women should be traditionalist but have the ability of scientific knowledge or even history. To progress the world not to regress the world. Womens rights ( if we call it that today ) is a complete mockery of what it was yesterday.

Some angry witch who strumpet around when she was useful and is upset that nobody cares about her does not matter. I have seen tons of them, unable to hold relationships. Still attempting to dress like if they are teenagers.

8. Why do so many muslims look down on the West (trick question, cause the West does much the same to them)

A. Islam , Judaism , Christianity are all the west. If anything the only persons of the East are those from Asia continent.

B. 9/11 was an inside job and before that nobody care and would see "them" no different then seeing an Indian person.

C. Before 2001. People from X denomination of religion was taught various things and because they uphold these ideas or alienated towards other denominations they have a perception..

D. The news and media corrupts many peoples mindsets and out look on life.
From fiction the LIVE coverage and flat out marketing commercials. Usually with modern-propaganda ( NOTE: Not pointing fingers and who controls media comment ) it has to be proven true. ( like a computer machine with ones and zeros ) if and else if True False statements.

E. The reality nobody would care at all. That being said many people of various denominations will do things to other people to protect their own. Is it wrong ? If you look at the Crusades with the burning of people on crosses and poles or the Missionaries ( whatever ) with bashing statues of fertility figures just because they had breast ( Jealously I guess ). Look at the history of Hawaii which officially is not a state of US.

9. Why is Islam involved in 80% of the worlds conflicts (Christianity is involved in roughly 60% btw)

Marketing what you see is marketing of the idea. You have to be more detailed. But just to go into one aspect of it. Oil.

A. Iran elected official was assassinated via England cohering/manipulating the United States. This resulted in the Royalties of Iran to assume power in which was dissolved and so now Iran took a religious stance rather then political. Iran and US was best buds and it is a thanks to the English. This conflict help create the "1982 oil crisis" which is the modern day energy-crisis. Despite USA have tons of barrels in the Southern States and various facilities with crude oil.

B. the British AGAIN when leaving Iraq split Kuwait from it. Kuwait had most oil reserves of Iraq. It left Iraq broke and various entities started to fill it with income and programs in attempt to modernize ( westernize Kuwait ). Iraq attempted to reclaim the city and rightful so. US troops was on guard of UAE ( Their Oil partner among other business ), Iraq attacked Israel and the general of the time made the decision to attack Iraq. US troops had no reason to interfere as their job was to guard the UAE. Along with Vietnam and Korea it was an independent decision of a general.
Which cost the US more then 200-300 lives over one persons decision making process.

C. The Afghanistan conflict is similar to Korea. USA and USSR both have been taken advantage of these people ( despite any progress or aide ). Till the point it was turned into nothing ness. 2001 bombing of hospitals, television stations, airports, and schools was not needed at all. When you think of a

D. Syria, Libya, Yemen are also areas of conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmwM9EXyczw

Again it has always been about oil and nothing but oil, when it comes to that area of the world. "Me white-man, you mud-skin". It has nothing to do with Islam or any other religious practices, Womens Rights, or even LGBT ( I mean #$@$ is that even a thing still ).

10. What is beautiful about your religion

God is God

11. What is not so beautiful about it

When people use god as a crutch.

12. Does it give you peace

Peace is for the grave.

13. Does it create anger and things that don't meet your religions expectations

I am sure it is disgusting feeling.

14.What if your child did not believe

I guess we could try again with another one and when this one returns home they will be the new Lurch, Jeebs, or whatever else.

14. Do you try to convert your friends and neighbours

It depends but I believe it would be a persons choice.

15. Do you believe in the literal word

God or text ? The reality is that books are written by people. Those text have been altered for some years. Do I look for truth in these writings ? Yes.

16. Do you think that the country you live in should follow Sharia law

That is one aspect. Too much time has passed and if it was so then it would be so.

17. Would the world be at peace if it was all Islamic

Again their are variations of Islam, and various branchings. If the world was currently all Islam I pretty sure it would be more or less the same.

18. What is the difference between Sunni and Shiite. Do you consider the other to be Muslim?

I do not know you could search it yourself the information is out their. Again when you look at people see people not their belief system.

19. What is Wahabi (can't remember exactly how it's spelt - it's practiced mostly in Saudi Arabia)

Islam has many denominations and branches just like Judaism and Christianity. They all worship the same god with slight differences.

20. Why are some muslim countries more strict than others

Because of belief system and because of the laws. That is why USA is Church and State is separate. Even if that retains to Christianity stand alone.

21. Is divorce accepted, and under what conditions

modern divorce is an invention of the Tudors.

22.What are mens attitudes towards sex
see 23
23. What are womens attitudes towards sex

IDK I am not a girl why not do a survey in a college campus.
SUNY and CUNY are really big.

24. Who gets the final say in disputes between men and women

Family dependent. Families are different.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Fri 27 May, 2022 03:06 pm
@greeniiz111,
You could ask this one.

Was Muhammad even a real person?

But they would fail you.
0 Replies