Why does economic development matter?

coberst

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 12:06 pm
Why does economic development matter?

Is economic development an end-in-itself or is it a means to some other end? What is the telos (ultimate end) of economic development?

The basic needs, as developed by Maslow and probably many others, are fundamentally dependent upon the economies of the nation within which we all live. The economy is not the only affecting reality, there also is social stratification, and other fundamentals, but economic development is a very important factor.

The economic development within a society is governed by many sources; local government, national government, NGOs (nongovernmental organizations), and now a growing globalization ties the whole world together more or less.

Economists generally define the goal of economic development in terms of sustained economic growth, i.e. sustained rise in per capita gross domestic growth, i.e. GDP. Some economists define the goal in terms of equity within development, i.e. growth with equity. If all of the benefits of growth merely make the rich richer and the poor poorer we are not reaching a desirable goal.

There are negative feedback control systems such as a furnace/thermostat or our own bodies. There are positive feedback control systems such as an ordinary fire or our capitalistic economic system.

In a fire the higher the temperature the faster the fuel is burned; the faster the fuel burns the higher goes the temperature. In a business enterprise it is common practice to put a percentage of profit into advertising. More advertising creates greater sales, which mean higher profit.

A negative feedback system seeks out equilibrium; a positive feedback system has no equilibrium and is ever accelerating.

If we have a positive feedback system, such as capitalism being now abetted by Globalism, we face the horrendous situation that the greater the progress the faster the spiral of destruction when considering that the world and humans are negative feedback systems.

If we choose to continue with our present Global/capitalistic program we must find a way to dampen the positive feedback system.

Biologists, and probably other sciences, inform us that human conceit, i.e. human ego, distorts our ability to comprehend our self. Egocentricities motivate us into irrational behavior thereby imperiling our survival; the human animal is arrogant and dangerous. Mark Twain was told that "man is the noblest work of God" to which he replied "Now, who found that out?"

Bernard James, author of "The Death of Progress" argues that perhaps a new moral order might be the solution to acquiring the means to avoid self-extinction. He argues that creation is a function of life. It is inventive acts that govern the evolution and survival requirements of human and ecosystems.

I suggest that we must find a new formula for the encouragement of creativity directed at this monumental problem. This is a problem that demands quick action and it seems to me that we cannot wait several generations for this to be accomplished. Today's adults must recognize the problem and must energetically seek a solution. I think that an invigorated self-actualization through self-learning by adults is required. I am not talking about more schooling. Schooling has left us learning-handicapped. This effort must be self-learning. Adults must begin a concentrated effort toward developing an intellectual life far beyond that which now exists.

My solution is that the general level of intellectual sophistication of the population is necessary if our species is to survive. Do you have any interest in this matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 571 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Why does economic development matter?
coberst wrote:
My solution is that the general level of intellectual sophistication of the population is necessary if our species is to survive.

What is the justification for the survival of our species?

Beyond that, this is all just more hot air...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:54 pm
Ironically, economic prosoperity is in almost inescapable precondition of "intellectual sophistication"; throughout Western history, at least, intellectual culture has with few exceptions been a luxury item for the affluent--the people who can afford to sit in their armchairs and sadly shake their heads over the state of intellectual culture (or, worse, who like to think that their head-shaking is doing something to solve the problem).

A few years ago, the RSA (Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufacture and Commerce) ran an article about the ramifications of globalization in Ghana. The article highlighted one of the most frequent assumptions about globalization: that it is something imposed upon, never embraced by, the people purported to be its victims. Armchair intellectuals who lament the sweeping tide of globalization rarely acknowledge that its participants are active agents with wills of their own. This brand of philosophizing is most evident when globalization is spoken of in terms of abstract concepts that magically operate by themselves, without human agents, like this:

Quote:
capitalism being now abetted by Globalism

That is one reason why I am not persuaded that an increase in "intellectual sophistication" will effect change. It is the luxuries of intellectual sophistication that lead to this kind of complacent and impotent armchair philosophizing in the first place. Treating abstract concepts as causal agents is a way of removing oneself from real-life situations; but change comes from getting closer to real situations, not farther away.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:06 am
Shapless

I do not regard specialization as a means to reach intellectual sophistication. When we specialize we learn more and more about less and less. In fact one might consider intellectual specialization as being the enemy of intellectual sophistication.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 02:01 am
My comment had nothing to do with specialization, so I'm not sure what it is you're responding to.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:23 am
Shapeless wrote:
My comment had nothing to do with specialization, so I'm not sure what it is you're responding to.

Sorry. It seemed like a glorification of our technological ingenuity.
0 Replies

PastaRoni

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 02:23 pm
education as a whole needs to change, i think specialization is exactly what we need since we all end up with a lot of useless skills for what we end up doing with out lives.
0 Replies