School dress codes

Rella

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

I have no objection to students exploring social and political issues. I object strongly to a student wearing a t-shirt announcing, "**** the establishment". "****" is recognized as a vulgarity and vulgarities have no place in what should be a bastion of civilization. This is what I mean by "uncivilized limits".

What harm would that shirt do? Probably not much, except maybe spark up a healthy debate. IDK, I have issues with an institution telling people what they can and can't put on their bodies, when they can come and go, et cetera. But that's kind of a different issue.

Quote:
School is the center of a student's life?

What happened to the student's home? What about outside clubs and activities? What about just hanging out with friends? School (excluding bus rides) occupies about 40 hours a week. This leaves a good bit of time for developing individuality-of-the-body and experimenting with identity.

Yes, pretty much. When we're not in school, we are doing homework or studying. Many clubs and activites activities school. On an average weekday, I am away from home from 6:30 a.m. until around 9:00 p.m. Between school and rehearsals I am at school for from anywhere to six hours to thirteen hours. And at work, there's not much time to express anything. Other students are just as busy. Today, this is nothing unusual. Sometimes my friends and I will hang out at a coffee shop in between school and rehearsals, and we make the most of our free time on weekends, but when it comes down to it, we spend most of our time (interacting with others) at school.

Quote:
Teenagers resent being treated like children--but they want to be indulged in matters of dress and behavior.

Aside from some employers, who tells adults how to dress? Behavior is a bit different.

Quote:
One of the great shocks when American students commence Real Life is that no one is willing to pay money to nurture the Whole Employee. They have hired an individual to fill a job and they judge by the good of the company rather than whether or not the individual they have hired is fufilled.

I know that. I work, and I have to wear a uniform. They're paying me to service customers and work. In school, we serve ourselves. It is where we grow, learn, and yes, express ourselves.

Quote:
Several studies have been done that indicate that students that dress well tend to behave well and to learn well.

Some "studies" are bullshit, like this one. Just because there is a possible co-relation doesn't mean that the clothes make the man. Put a class clown in a suit and tie, and he's still going to be as loud and raucous as he would be if he were in jeans and a T-shirt. How do I know this? I know many people whose clothes don't reflect their behavior. Actually, at my school, I've found that the majority of kids in American Eagle-type wear were much more disruptive than the kids with chains, neon hair, and opinionated t-shirts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:20 pm
I think dress codes go too far when a student is restricted from wearing a scarf or cap. I don't see any harm coming from scarves and caps in the classroom.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:34 pm
C.I.
In days gone by there was no need for a dress code. Your mother would make sure you were dressed appropriately. And there was even respect for the teacher. In this permissive society a minimum dress code is IMO necessary since neither the children nor their parents can police themselves.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I think dress codes go too far when a student is restricted from wearing a scarf or cap. I don't see any harm coming from scarves and caps in the classroom.

Bump. Sometimes common sense isn't so common.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:10 pm
One of the reasons I feel strongly about "professional" dress for both teachers and students is the current confusion about the differences between Private Space and a Public Place.

School is a Public Place. Students should be treated with respect. Students should also give respect.

Informal, self-expressing costumes have no more place in the academic world than tantrums or vulgarity or violence.

Rella, your long school day is your choice. I have no problem that my taxes are paying for your use of the building and the salary of the teacher and the props or instruments that you need for creative self expression.

Adults-0ff-The-Job can dress as they choose because they are self supporting--and on their own time. I have no quarrel about what a student wears off campus. On campus, I do.

If you retort that you "need" the long school days to qualify for a "good" college, this simply proves my point. Education is a serious business and deserves a serious approach.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:20 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

School is a Public Place. Students should be treated with respect. Students should also give respect.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how attire, unless it says something like "**** This School" could be disrespectful.

Quote:
Informal, self-expressing costumes have no more place in the academic world than tantrums or vulgarity or violence.

That is ridiculous. In no way does denim, leather, spikes, chains, miniskirts, whatever... compare to tantrums or violence. Aren't we taught to not judge exteriors?

Quote:
Adults-0ff-The-Job can dress as they choose because they are self supporting--and on their own time. I have no quarrel about what a student wears off campus. On campus, I do.

Oh, goodness. The old "When you are on MY time..."
Time does not belong to anyone other than those who are living in it. Namely you. And me. And everyone else. Nobody owns our time. Our life is our time, whenever it is. We can choose to follow rules, or we can argue the ones we disagree with.

Quote:
Education is a serious business and deserves a serious approach.

Yes, and you can purchase that Serious Approach at the Gap for only $39.99!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:34 pm
Rella, A BIG WELCOME to A2K. Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:01 am
Rella, we've reached a state of fundamental disagreement. You go to your church, and I'll go to mine. I'm looking forward to more articulate disagreement from you on A2K.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 08:47 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Hold your dominion.

Hmm, Rella a dominatrix?
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 11:03 pm
Yes, complete with the leather, whip, and bondage.
Oh, and the spiky boots. We can't forget about the spiky boots.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 11:04 pm
*or spikey
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 11:24 pm
In 1979, when my son was in second grade, one of the other 2nd grade classes had to have a meeting of the parents because many of the little girls were ostracizing other girls who didn't wear designer jeans. This is mind-boggling to me.

Uniforms initially make me object, but there are such discrepancies between the haves and the have-nots that uniforms make good sense. They also make it easier on the budget.

After school wear is when children can become creative and express their individuality.

Rella, you are a fine addition to a2k. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:06 am
Rella wrote:
Yes, complete with the leather, whip, and bondage.
Oh, and the spiky boots. We can't forget about the spiky boots.

Gawd... Cape Cod's classroom dress codes are awfully submissive indeed, it seems. Wink
If only you could've been in charge of uniforms at my school! lol
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:48 pm
Diane wrote:

Rella, you are a fine addition to a2k. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Wow, thank you. Smile
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:49 pm
Monger wrote:

Gawd... Cape Cod's classroom dress codes are awfully submissive indeed, it seems. Wink
If only you could've been in charge of uniforms at my school! lol

ROFL... do you really live in Tokyo?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 01:29 pm
Ayup. World headquarters extraordinare for karaoke, A Bathing Ape brand clothes (weirdass slogan: Ape shall never kill ape), and men with odd-numbered fingers & pearl-ingrafted peni. Sweet Tokyo I know and love.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 03:56 pm
Ah, karaoke. Hella yes.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:11 pm
So you're a karaoke fiend, eh Rella? Razz
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:21 pm
i love singing, but there aren't a lot of karaoke bars 'round here. : /
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:59 pm
Rella, If you come to the San Francisco A2K Gathering next April, I'll make sure you make it to a karaoke bar - even if I have to take you myself. Some of our (Japanese American) friends also like to go to karaoke bars, so you won't get lonely. Wink
0 Replies