Biggest Particle Collider - Doomsday Device?

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:48 pm
Or at least a passable imitation of it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:53 pm
This kind of stuff always makes me a little... puzzled.

I live just a few blocks from a nuclear reactor operated by college undergraduates and nobody complains. This in a state that spent $5,000,000 on a ballot measure to close down a reactor not located downtown and operated by professionals.

Strange days indeed....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:02 pm
The one at the college is probably just a pretend nuclear reactor so that all the students can go home and tell their Moms that they are nuclear scientists.

I wouldn't worry about it boomer. The professional ones are the ones to watch out for.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:05 pm
boomerang wrote:
This kind of stuff always makes me a little... puzzled.

I live just a few blocks from a nuclear reactor operated by college undergraduates and nobody complains. This in a state that spent $5,000,000 on a ballot measure to close down a reactor not located downtown and operated by professionals.

Strange days indeed....

If you find yourself growing new appendages, I recommend moving a few streets over, away from it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:16 pm
Nope. Not a pretend reactor: http://reactor.reed.edu/about.html

Strangely enough, edgar, this is a reall "ohmygod I want to live THERE" neighborhood. Maybe people are unaware of the reactor....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:48 pm
I don't trust them enough to get that close.
0 Replies

babemomlover

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:51 pm
hamburger wrote:

however , we watched a documentary recently that showed the engineering work going on : impressive .
it reminds me somewhat of the "chunnel" building process -
hbg

Chunnel?

you mean

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/issue/onetowatch/graphics/Churro.jpg
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:47 am
The Chunnel will only make it easier for the next Napoleon to conquer England---Ireland however, is safe---no Chunnel there by blarney and St Patrick will will also drive the frogs from Ireland.

Rap
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:22 am
No army would dare enter the tunnel at Calais. Such a strategy would go into the record books as the most incompetent generalship in history.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:04 am
spendius wrote:
No army would dare enter the tunnel at Calais. Such a strategy would go into the record books as the most incompetent generalship in history.

Nappy's Tunnel Scare
http://www.shsu.edu/~lib_jjn/invasion.jpg

Rap
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 12:58 pm
It is easily possible to draw a formation of green pigs flying under Brooklyn Bridge.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 08:51 pm
Re: Biggest Particle Collider - Doomsday Device?
This isn't the first time this guy has filed a lawsuit based on these fears to block a particle accelerator from starting up. And he has yet to successfully block an accelerator from starting.

The odds of this accelerator destroying the planet (or worse, annihilating the local galactic supercluster by causing a vacuum metastability event) are zero.

But as we build bigger and bigger accelerators, we will one day create an accelerator so large that the odds are not zero (at least based on present-day understanding of science). It won't happen in any of our lifetimes though.

Based on that possible future risk, I suppose it's a good thing that the guy has people considering the issue.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:16 am
spendius wrote:
It is easily possible to draw a formation of green pigs flying under Brooklyn Bridge.

You mean green flying pigs like these?

http://www.andrewleicester.com/process/assets/cin_42A.jpg

Maybe they don't fly under the Bridge in Brooklyn, but they're flying, in formation, within spitting distance of the http://www.earlapel.net/photos/cincinnati/suspension_bridge1.jpg

John A Roebling Suspension Bridge, that is considered the Brooklyn's elder Brother.

Here's their formation.
http://www.andrewleicester.com/process/assets/cin_40A.jpg

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:15 am
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:57 pm
Sounds like series 3 of Lex - where Humans attempting to discover the mass of the Higgs Boson collapse the planet to the size of a apricot.

Remember high energy particles from space (some with masses above 20 GeV) have been detected - so there is a chance we are already being bombarded with higher energy events than LHC will produce. If high energy events caused black holes - we should see evidence of chain reaction forming of black holes in galactic clusters, once one star goes black hole / super nova - it should create a chain reaction if high energy particle spread was a cause for black holes being created. We don't see this so it sounds bad pseudo science (sub atomic black holes evapourate / space time un-kinks too quickly at this level of reality from theory if I recall correctly).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:12 pm
Edgar, maybe you should read Herman Wouk's A Hole in Texas, if you haven't already.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:14 pm
roger wrote:
Edgar, maybe you should read Herman Wouk's A Hole in Texas, if you haven't already.

No, I haven't. Never heard of it before. But, it sounds worthy of a perusal.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 07:55 am
Quote:
A Hole in Texas refers to a Superconducting Super Collider, built (and then shut down) to search for an element of particle physics called the Higgs boson. NASA scientist Guy Carpenter had worked on that project, and as Herman Wouk's novel opens, he has a content life with a wife and baby. When the Chinese announce they've found the Higgs boson, it send shock waves through the US government and scientific community. Could the Chinese control the world with the threat of a boson bomb? Guy is tapped as the expert to get to the bottom of the Chinese claims. It also happens that the Chinese scientist in charge of the boson project is his old love from college, and passion flames between him and the congresswoman he's to work with, and her brother wants to hire him as a consultant for a film about the boson bomb. A Hole in Texas is part thriller, part soap opera and has received mixed reviews. The New York Times says the 88-year old Wouk "spins it into a crackling yarn and writes with an enduring vigor that whippersnappers might envy."

Sounds pretty steamy to me Ed. Your specs might fog up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:04 am
http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=317247
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:40 am
In terms of the infinite one might say that that is part of the first moments after the Big Bang.
0 Replies