Biggest Particle Collider - Doomsday Device?

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:44 pm
Boyle
Science editor
MSNBC

The builders of the world's biggest particle collider are being sued in federal court over fears that the experiment might create globe-gobbling black holes or never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet.

Representatives at Fermilab in Illinois and at Europe's CERN laboratory, two of the defendants in the case, say there's no chance that the Large Hadron Collider would cause such cosmic catastrophes. Nevertheless, they're bracing to defend themselves in the courtroom as well as the court of public opinion.

The Large Hadron Collider, or LHC, is due for startup later this year at CERN's headquarters on the French-Swiss border. It's expected to tackle some of the deepest questions in science: Is the foundation of modern physics right or wrong? What existed during the very first moment of the universe's existence? Why do some particles have mass while others don't? What is the nature of dark matter? Are there extra dimensions of space out there that we haven't yet detected?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23844529/?GT1=43001
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,261 • Replies: 40
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:03 am
Oh good grief.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:22 am
Opponents to the project just forget that the collider has been working for years, only on a smaller scale.

No accident, in the slightest form, was reported...

Calculations tend to prove that no energy generation could be powerful enough to cause dammages..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:40 am
It seems to me that talk of globe-gobbling black holes or never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet is a stalking horse to get an airing in court for the side that thinks that taxpayer's money could be better spent than on a bunch of scientists who have nice comfy and well paid jobs being expected to tackle (not quite the same as tackle) some of the deepest questions in science: Is the foundation of modern physics right or wrong? What existed during the very first moment of the universe's existence? Why do some particles have mass while others don't? What is the nature of dark matter? Are there extra dimensions of space out there that we haven't yet detected?

Taxpayers have not only no idea what any of that means but have no chance of ever having and some of them suspect that the same applies to the scientists themselves.

A court hearing might draw attention to such matters.

There is no such thing as existing during the very first moment of anything never mind the universe. Not scientifically I mean and if their own statements are not scientific what might one conclude from that.

The project relies on its supporters believing that their support is itself a sufficient qualification for them to be classed as scientists themselves or at least being known as a scientific type to which, naturally or by divine right, accrues admiration and wonder in roughly equal proportions.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:05 am
spendius wrote:
The project relies on its supporters believing that their support is itself a sufficient qualification for them to be classed as scientists themselves or at least being known as a scientific type to which, naturally or by divine right, accrues admiration and wonder in roughly equal proportions.

And it really does work, Spendi! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:50 am
It would seem some religious minds have already decreed any result from the project, null and void. This before it even happens. Apparently they believe one should get born, eat, ****, sleep, worship, procreate, and move on. Nothing in between. Ask no questions.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:13 am
Re: Biggest Particle Collider - Doomsday Device?
edgarblythe wrote:
Boyle
Science editor
MSNBC

The builders of the world's biggest particle collider are being sued in federal court over fears that the experiment might create globe-gobbling black holes or never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet.

When Tesla was working on electricity everyone thought he would electrocute the world, and when they tested the first atomic bomb they thought it might start a chain reaction and fry the planet.

Here we go again. Except this time the lawyers get to make some money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:55 am
I remember something about the nuclear chain reaction idea. Don't forget, we the uneducated, have the extra burden of not knowing enough facts to judge.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:58 am
edgar-- You missed out boozing. How dare you you philistine?

And you use "procreate" as if you have to go into the lab to do it with a requisition form signed by an eminent scientist.

Do you seriously think these guys will actually solve those problems which they claim to be "tackling". Your faith is touching if you do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:06 am
spendius wrote:
edgar-- You missed out boozing. How dare you you philistine?

And you use "procreate" as if you have to go into the lab to do it with a requisition form signed by an eminent scientist.

Do you seriously think these guys will actually solve those problems which they claim to be "tackling". Your faith is touching if you do.

As you may be aware, monumental discoveries have a way of opening monumental new questions, which one will never know to ask, if the earlier questions are first not asked.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:09 am
edgar wrote-

Quote:
It would seem some religious minds have already decreed any result from the project, null and void.

Well I never said or even hinted at such a thing. I expect the result to involve eating, shitting, sleeping, worshipping (themselves), procreating and moving on in salubrious locations for which that area of the world is rightly notorious as is only fitting for this new priesthood which has replaced Latin, which could at least be translated, with a new vehicle for mesmerizing its devotees.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:12 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It would seem some religious minds have already decreed any result from the project, null and void. This before it even happens. Apparently they believe one should get born, eat, ****, sleep, worship, procreate, and move on. Nothing in between. Ask no questions.

Addendum: boozing, sexing the broads.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I remember something about the nuclear chain reaction idea. Don't forget, we the uneducated, have the extra burden of not knowing enough facts to judge.

If I remember right, some of the scientists thought it might cause a chain reaction, so it wasn't just the uneducated who were worrying.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:41 pm
i better admit : i really don't understand much about the project .
however , we watched a documentary recently that showed the engineering work going on : impressive .
it reminds me somewhat of the "chunnel" building process - very impressive , but i understand that they kept running out of money and had to be bailed out (by the government , i mean : taxpayer) .
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
They started one of those in Texas, but bailed after a time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:49 pm
But Eurotunnel had an ordinary objective which everybody could understand.

The two activities cannot be compared. Nobody will ever understand
what existed during the very first moment of the universe's existence.

In actual fact the tunnel has been effectively stolen by its users from those who built it who will never be repaid.

It is a murky business.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:05 pm
spendius wrote:
But Eurotunnel had an ordinary objective which everybody could understand.

The two activities cannot be compared. Nobody will ever understand
what existed during the very first moment of the universe's existence.

In actual fact the tunnel has been effectively stolen by its users from those who built it who will never be repaid.

It is a murky business.

It's expected to tackle some of the deepest questions in science: Is the foundation of modern physics right or wrong? What existed during the very first moment of the universe's existence? Why do some particles have mass while others don't? What is the nature of dark matter? Are there extra dimensions of space out there that we haven't yet detected?

As you see, exposing the first moment of the universe is not the whole of the matter. These are some questions worh asking. edgarblythe
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:22 pm
Okay Ed.

What's your take on the possibilities of why do some particles have mass while others don't? What is the nature of dark matter? Are there extra dimensions of space out there that we haven't yet detected?

Nothing definite. Just the options will do. Your general opinion as things stand.

I promise I won't take the piss if you get it wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:32 pm
If I could answer those questions to your satisfaction, I would be a lot smarter than I could have thought. I am seeking to learn something from all this. Are you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:43 pm
For sure. How to stay sane.
0 Replies