"WHANNE THAT APRIL WITH HIS SHOURES SOTE>>>"

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:25 am
The droughts of MArch hath pierced to the rote,
and bathed every vein in swiche licour...'

Memories of poems from junior (and senior) high school.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,019 • Replies: 18
No top replies

George

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:29 am
This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 12:14 pm
So live that when thy summons comes to join that mysterious caravan..

I would say April is the cruelest month, but I never understood T.S. Eliot's "Wasteland."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 01:07 pm
My favorite lines from Frost's "Two Tramps at Mud-Time"
Quote:
The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,
A wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March

The metre and rhyme patterns still impress me .Besides that, its exactly the time when the scudding clouds can change a day from winter to warm spring
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 09:01 pm
@farmerman,
We had such a day today.THe late MArch weather front came in from Canada and, although moderated by our latitude, was loaded with Canadian frigidness every time a cloud covered the sun. The wind was warm when the sun shone but there were some snowflakes when the sun was covered by northern based clouds.

I thought of mud time and the poems of early spring for our latitude. Those of you in OX+AZ are probably bitchin about the early fall heat. CMon spring, I need some warm to plant my garden.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 09:42 pm
the nights a getting cool here. we had the gas heater on for a while last night, and almost a frost this morning. but th days are magnificent. cool crisp clean mornings warming to about 25C (77?).
Just perfect for a loaf of bread and a glass of wine in the backyard
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 09:47 pm
@dadpad,
Hell, that sounds like our October. Are you in a hilly environment? Does your ground freeze in the winter?
dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Are you in a hilly environment?

Yes

Quote:
Does your ground freeze in the winter?

No.
We get frost but it sits on the grass. and its a cold cold morning when the chooks water dish is frozen over. Frost is usually gone by 10 am maybe longer in the shade.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:46 am
Oz ain't as far south of the equator as we are north of it. The tropic of Capricorn runs through Oz, whereas the United States is entirely north of the tropic of Cancer.
Francis

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:57 am
@Setanta,
Yes, but Toronto is about the same latitude as Marseilles and it rarely freezes or snows there..

Same about New York and Barcelona..
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:58 am
@Francis,
I can't believe you said it rarely freezes or snows in Toronto. You should see the back yard.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 03:58 am
@Setanta,

and?
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:29 am
@farmerman,
Not to sound snotty but climate and weather paterns have less to do with latitude than with orographic effects , nearness of big continental masses up"wind"or nearness to circum polar streams or cross longitudinal oceanic streams (The Gulf stream is the reason that Ireland is cool temperate/ sub tropical, not its latitude) .Goose Bay Labrador is at the same latitude as Dublin. I see palm trees in Dublin and daffodils blooming in January. Whereas in Labrador, its 25 below.

I am interested in voice reports of someones local climate . SInce we sorta know the city and lat that dadpads at,I actually was surprised at his reports of the early frosts . I ws more responding to his topography than his latitude. Ive done some great skiing in ARgentina (roughly the same latitude as Dadpads Divide RAnge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:36 am
No, that's cool, but geographical location still matters. All of Australia is tropical or subtropical. Only the extreme southern portion of the United States is subtropical, and no part of it is tropical. That does matter, since it means that wind patterns in Oz are conditioned by what are called the trade winds, whereas all of North America is north of the trade winds.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:56 am
@Setanta,
Thats why I asked dp about his topography. I was a bit surprised that he was reporting an almost "frosty" morning.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:17 am
@Setanta,
Sometimes what's going on in my mind doesn't translate in my writing...
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:22 am
@Francis,
No, Mon Vieux, you're writing was fine--i was being obtuse. I knew what you meant, i was just wilfully misinterpreting it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 05:35 am
@Francis,
Quote:
Yes, but Toronto is about the same latitude as Marseilles and it rarely freezes or snows there..
Perhaps , more in line with the A2k means of communication:

Yes, but Toronto is about the same latitude as Marseilles, and even n asshole like you would know that it rarely freezes in MArseilles.
jespah

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 07:35 am
@farmerman,
The Marseilles no-freeze thang is due to da Gulf Stream.

It's still in the 20s here most mornings. Please send heat. Thank you in advance.
0 Replies