How to learn Aussie accent??

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:42 am
Hi guys...

I am in last stages of immigration procedure to my dreamland(Australia).

I wanna know how can I improve my ability to communicate in aussie accent!

Recently, I have had some telephonic interview and I found myself totally desperate in understanding that beautiful accent! Embarrassed

I am not a native English speaker and it would be great if somebody can introduce me some materials such as any online media.

Thank you all in advance for your helps.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,340 • Replies: 18
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:41 am
The first step to acquiring an Australian accent is surgery. The problem is, not many doctors will do the required procedure (a lobotomy) on demand. You'll just have to pick it up as you go.
Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
Ignore Contrex - he suffers greatly from something I can't bear to describe.

Now - that line was typed in an Aussie accent - if you read it out loud it should sound like me!

Mind you - I don't have a broad accent - a lifetime of living in Sydney, and talking proper means that most people can understand what I'm saying, but not where I'm from! Twisted Evil

Oh, and eat Vegemite - there's nothing better! Cool

And welcome to A2K as well!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:43 pm
It's no wonder that cockneys are often mistaken by Americans for Aussies, because to my ear the Aussie accent sounds like nothing so much as a London accent "with pretensions" -- that is, an accent that has moved out to Bromley or Purley or Romford or Borehamwood.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:25 pm
contrex wrote:
It's no wonder that cockneys are often mistaken by Americans for Aussies, because to my ear the Aussie accent sounds like nothing so much as a London accent "with pretensions" -- that is, an accent that has moved out to Bromley or Purley or Romford or Borehamwood.

Now, the above was clearly written in an Aussie accent. Print it out, and recite it daily for ten days. Do day one with 10 marbles in your mouth, day two with nine marbles, and so forth, till on day ten, they are all gone. When you've lost all your marbles, you've got it down!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:45 pm
Re: How to learn Aussie accent??
Zartosht wrote:
Hi guys...

I am in last stages of immigration procedure to my dreamland(Australia).

I wanna know how can I improve my ability to communicate in aussie accent!

Recently, I have had some telephonic interview and I found myself totally desperate in understanding that beautiful accent! Embarrassed

I am not a native English speaker and it would be great if somebody can introduce me some materials such as any online media.

Thank you all in advance for your helps.

your first mistake is actually caring what you sound like. The correct aussie attitude is as follows:

Accent? She'll be right mate" or "accent? No worries bloke."

Your second mistake is the opening two words of your post. It should read G'day blokes.

Now a few handy throwaway lines to practice with:

Show us yer tits! (this is best shouted from a moving car at anything that looks remotely female)

Your shout mate: (self explanatory really).

Ya wouldn't know a free kick from a root ya white maggot!
(In order to perfect this you will need to stand on two beer cans. When you have perfected this you may officially call yourself a Collingwood supporter.)

Pooooofta!!!!!!! (Also best shouted from a moving car).

I'm orf like a bucket of prawns in the hot sun. (This is a traditional goodbye.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:53 pm
There are a few vids on Utube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XapcTmXqmWo
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:08 pm
Dad asked me to help out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs2KxlYGJKU&feature=related

RH
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:56 pm
Hello Zartosht & welcome to A2k. Very Happy

Perhaps I'm gullible, but I'll assume you're serious about wanting to settle in Australia, your "dreamland"?

My answer to your question is to expect, as does any new-comer to any new country, that a period of adaptation & familiarization will be necessary. You will feel quite pathetic & silly as you go through this process ... much like I did in Italy, Sweden, Indonesia, India, etc , when I first travelled to those places. In other words, when you are new to any culture, it probably won't make sense to you - and you may not make make too much sense to them at first, either, most likely.... Of course, over time, these things can change for the better - for both sides. This is a good thing!

I have just one question of you: Just why is Australia your "dreamland? That would be very useful to know. And what is your country of origin?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:08 am
Rockhead wrote:

Ta mate.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:26 am
Just watch Crocodile Dundee - then avoid everything that comes out of Paul Hogan's mouth.

The Australian accent is dying so don't waste your time on it. Or better yet, make your contribution to the next stage of its evolution.

Listen Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett et al, all aussie as and indistinguishable as Australians unless they 'turn it on' for local consumption or as a party piece for gullible sepps.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 03:00 am
The Australian accent is in the vowels, in how we shorten words, and in the words used...but mostly in the vowels

As as example
To an american, capital 'A' sounds more like an I (but with a very slight 'a' at the front) - I hear it as Aiy-ee (that's the sound broken down as I here it, and it all flows into one)

Capital 'I' goes along the lines of aH-Eye-ee

Of course you'll probably find people to disagree with me, but generally speaking it seems that you can only pick it up by being around people speaking it (because I've heard numerous americans try to imitate it, and they're terrible)
0 Replies

Zartosht

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 04:42 am
msolga wrote:

I have just one question of you: Just why is Australia your "dreamland? That would be very useful to know. And what is your country of origin?

Hi msolga

Thank you for your response. I am agree with you but I have to improve my listening skill to pass the telephonic interviews.

I have a lot of reasons for calling Australia as "my dreamland".

nice and friendly folk, amazing nature, urbanized cities with rural behaviors, and .... cause me to call it "deamland"

I am a persian from capital of Iran, Tehran.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:02 am
Zartosht wrote:
msolga wrote:

Hi msolga

Thank you for your response. I am agree with you but I have to improve my listening skill to pass the telephonic interviews.

nice and friendly folk, amazing nature, urbanized cities with rural behaviors, and .... cause me to call it "deamland"

You'll never have an Ozzie accent, Zartosht......you'll always have an Iranian one, to Australian ears.

Of course, people back in Iran will think you have an Australian accent after a while!

But you'll soon get used to the accent.

One suggestion I have is to go to http://www.abc.net.au/..... you can click onto numerous videos and recorded radio broadcasts on all manner of subjects..

Many also have transcripts, so you can easily refer back to the script. I am thinking this may be one way of developing an "ear" for Australian English.

It will also have you up to date on issues and news in Australia, as well as Australian culture.

Here is the site for Radio Australia, which may also be helpful???

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/

Good luck!!! I hope you realise your dream, and it is as you hoped.
0 Replies

Zartosht

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:08 am
Thank you for your link my friend...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:34 am
Zartosht wrote:
msolga wrote:

Hi msolga

Good luck with it, Zartosht!

Is there anyone you can regularly have conversations with in English? (They don't necessarily have to be Australian.)
I think that'd help you a lot.
0 Replies

Zartosht

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:38 am
msolga wrote:
Zartosht wrote:
msolga wrote:

Hi msolga

Good luck with it, Zartosht!

Is there anyone you can regularly have conversations with in English? (They don't necessarily have to be Australian.)
I think that'd help you a lot.

Yes...

Currently I am working in an English consultant engineering firm in Abu Dhabi-UAE.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:26 pm
Trust the wabbit to make an intelligent contribution! Embarrassed

and MsOlga!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:45 am
margo wrote:
Trust the wabbit to make an intelligent contribution! Embarrassed

and MsOlga!

Don't come the raw prawn with me!