Fluoride, bellyaches, food, and concentration....

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:58 pm
Could he chew, swish and then spit (rather than swallow)? Does he get this tablet in an individual wrapper that he could save for you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:00 pm
It seems to cootie factor prevents them from letting the kids spit it back out.

From now on he'll do his swishing and spitting at home.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:08 pm
Good option!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:02 pm
Boomer, it seems that one size fits all is the mantra at Portland schools.

My mother was born in an area of Texas where flouride occured naturally. Her teeth were perfect. Trouble with researchinhg that is that she was born in 1912.

I wonder what percentage of flouride is found in city water systems? That is also one size fits all, but the percentage must be low enough to be safe even for kids, as it was in Texas.

Did you ask the dentist if the flouride in his toothpaste plus the rinse would be enough?

Glad you decided to let him do without the pill.

Hugs to you and Mo.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:16 am
dyslexia wrote:
In Stanley Kubrick's classic 1964 movie, Dr. Strangelove, the deranged General Jack D. Ripper thinks he knows a secret communist plot to destroy Americans from within. "A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice," he says ominously. He's referring to water fluoridation, "the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

I remember in high school I took an environmental studies class. At the time, there was controversy surrounding adding fluoride to the water. We had two representatives from each side speak. The guy against fluoride did make it seem as you described from the above movie.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:22 am
boomerang wrote:
It is really easy to find lots of horror stories about fluoridated water on the internet but they never mention the benefits of it. And there are lots of benefits to fluoridated water.

I've told this story before but I'll tell it here again:

When I first moved to Oregon and went to my first dental cleaning the first thing the dentist asked was "You didn't grow up here, did you?" When I asked how he could tell it was because I still had all my teeth. I was in my early 30s -- not the age you think people would be losing their teeth but in Oregon it is rare for a dentist to see someone in their 30s whose teeth aren't falling out of their mouths.

I grew up drinking fluoridated water and I benefit from that. If you look into the history of fluoridation you will find some interesting facts about how it occurs naturally in a lot of water and that is how they discovered the benefits it carries.

If it weren't for Mo's bellyaches and the dentists confirmation that some people do have a sensitivity to ingested fluoride I would never have given it a second thought.

I sent an email to Mo's teacher today asking for some information about the program and about Mo's behavior and letting her know what thoughts I was chasing. I probably won't hear back until Monday when school resumes but I'll be sure to let you all know what she has to say.

As to bottled water. I had a bit of a rethink on that not long ago when I realized how many plastic bottles I was throwing into the recycling bin each week so I went out and bought a water filter for my tap. The lesser of two evils, I suppose.....

One other thing to note - we have fluoride in our water, but we use a filter for our drinking water - so I asked the question to the doctor (funny it is the doctor that always asks about if we have fluoride not the dentist) - will the filter remove the fluoride as well? She wasn't sure, but she also said that there is added benefit when you brush your teeth for instance and if you use the unfiltered water with cooking.

The dentist had also mentioned concern about "eating" fluoride for example your toothpaste, that is why you are not supposed to swallow - if you ingest too much fluoride, you will get white spots on your teeth - not sure if this simply cosmetic.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:23 am
boomerang wrote:
But it says that on every tube of toothpaste, roger.

For every article a person can find about the horrors of fluoride there are more about it's benefits.

I think it has to do with how much you swallow - it is unlikely that one would eat a whole tube of toothpaste, the little you use to brush will not kill you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:14 am
roger wrote:
"Fatal if swallowed". Sounds like kind of a negative, to me.

This is true of beer, too. If you drink enough, or get into a fatal brawl, or go driving afterward, or it destroys your liver....
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 01:35 pm
I realize there is great debate on either side but my concern is how do you know how much you're getting? It seems like the dosage one is exposed to is anyones guess.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:44 am
According to a recent report in "Men's Health" magazine, Portland rated number 94 out of 100 major American cities in dental health.

(http://www.menshealth.com/metrogrades/08_apr_teeth/#)

I heard back from Mo's teacher. She said he had not complained of stomach aches and that she was unaware of how much lunch he had been eating and that they give the fluoride at 9 AM and lunch isn't until 11:30 so.....

But he is now officially off the program so we will see what we will see!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:09 am
Not much to add, but a) I agree that fluoride is important and has been unfairly demonized (by many, not everyone of course) and b) my kid gets nutty if she hasn't had enough to eat, too.
0 Replies