Religion Hum130 class

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 04:46 pm
Can someone please help me with this assignment question?

Two effects organized religion has had on society and give examples from past or present world events.

Any ideas? Please!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 06:07 pm
Didn't you pay any attention in class?

You already asked this on the 17th.

This must be in a school curriculum somewhere because a Google search (heard of that? Rolling Eyes ) reveals that this question shows up on lots of forums where lazy students seek help with their homework.

Some sample answers

Quote:
war - crusades, death (from war)

Quote:
death and destruction...crusades, middle east conflict, salem witch trials.

Quote:
morality, ethics, and accountability

Quote:
1. The population shift to the America's. Due to religious persecution overseas, many left their homeland to come to the "New World".

2. Literacy. Many early settlers of the New World (heck, even before that) were taught to read with the use of the Bible. Many education centers were religion-based. The central meeting place for the "townsfolk" were the churches and many of the early school houses were the churches. The early educators were members of the religious order.

Also see here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=effects+of+organised+religion+on+society&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f

0 Replies

greeniiz111

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 04:32 am
Thank You
I appreciate your answer and would like you to know that this "lazy student" did do a sufficiant amount of research on google, which is why I turned to this web site for answers. Unfortunately even with your response I have yet to learn the true answer to my question.

Once again Thank you for your help!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 05:52 am
The purpose of such assignments is to make you read, discuss, think and then present your conclusions in written form. Thus giving you practice in reading, thinking and communication. If you think you can get the answer on the Web then you are at best a misguided student, at worst a lazy one! There is no "right" or "wrong" answer, this is not like math. So what effects do you think organised religion has had on society?

PS here's a hint of an example: EDUCATION. here's another one: LAW. Here's another one: POLITICS. Here's another one: ECONOMICS.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:10 am
The motto of this website is ask questions, get answers, not ask questions, then get abused for asking questions.

If you don't want to answer the question, don't click reply.

While I agree that the purpose of the assignment is to have the student think about what has been assigned (isn't that the purpose of every assignment, ever, since the beginning of time?), a discussion can be maintained online as readily as it can in a classroom.

Fruitful discussions can come from a lot of sources, even from requests for help with assignments. But they don't come when the questioner is harrassed.

Kindly let it go and be the gentlemen we all know you can be. Thank you.
0 Replies