managing 5th grade students

msgrace

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:56 am
I am a Computer Aide in an elementary school. The word Aide is a misnomer, because I'm THE teacher. I'm part of the specials team which K-5 rotate through weekly. My problem is 5th grade. They interrupt when I'm explaining a topic, and are generally noisy entering and exiting the computer lab. My reward and consequence system seems to be lost on them, and I don't get much support from their homeroom teachers. I love my job, but dread 5th grade period. How can I get these students to be quiet and listen to me?

An added note; one fifth grade class was removed from the library for disruptive behavior.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 3
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
msgrace,

All I can say is that I couldn't do your job. I admire you. Is the computer lab something the kids enjoy? Does the entire classroom file in at the same time or can you break the group into two sessions so you can better weed out the disruptive kids?

What do you think about having the kids all line up against the wall before coming in and individually releasing the ones who are being respectful until everyone settles down enough to participate?

How about a letter to the parents requiring a signature from both the student and the parent agreeing to the rules of computer lab. Like a contract?

I don't know, just brainstorming,
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:38 pm
Msgrace,

Welcome to A2K. May I ask how many 5th-graders you are dealing with at one time? Certain topics do not lend themselves to a crowd of the young--and computer use might well be one of these topics. If you don't have quiet and respect, there are always going to be some kids perpetually behind--a nightmare. Do these children come to your room directly from recess or lunch? Timing could be another problem. Coming into a room which is supposed to be quiet when kids have just been playing with their friends can be a tough transition for an Aide to handle.

Are you the first Aide to have dealt with this group in a computer room? Do these kids know you in another context? If they know you only from computer class, that makes you and your class a special case for them, and a new place for them to test someone's patience.

If the school mandates computer work as part of its program, these kids are going to be tested in computer skills at some point, yes? If the disruption continues, you might inform your principal that the children are having a hard time making basic progress because A, B, and C in their behavior, and a number of them are going to fail. The principal may well have overbooked you--not uncommon.

I like Martybaker's idea of having the kids line up and become quiet before you admit them. You need to be firm with fifth-graders to establish a good work environment. Don't be shy about asking for help. Good luck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
Definitely talk to your principal. It sounds as though the fifth graders consider themselves above school rules.

The classroom teachers should be backing you up--and they are not.

I would suggest to the principal that since the kids aren't receptive to information that the 5th grade classes be barred from the computer lab for a certain number of periods.

After all, while I assume that the computers are as fool-proof as possible, damage is possible and cleaning up the damage can be expensive.
0 Replies