Politically incorrect humor?

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 02:57 pm
One Hallowe'en, when the weather was very drunk, my friend and i, who know much the same body of jokes were telling each other punch lines. You know, like: "OK ! ! ! Death by Ooga Booga ! ! !" And we'd laugh hysterically. There was a nerdy guy there we knew, who became increasingly frustrated because he didn't know the jokes, and he finally broke in to say: "Why don't you just number them, then you could say 'No. 39 . . . Ahahahahahaha !'" Naturally, we stared at him for a moment, before looking at one another and laughing helplessly.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:00 am
Setanta wrote:
Ulimately, political rectitude suffers from being what it advertises itself to be--political. To refer to your question, and not the silly attempt here to make this a partisan issue, the question of what constitutes humor is at the heart of your original post.

If what your acquaintance says is genuinely funny, than whether or not someone else contends that it is politically incorrect is meaningless. However, i would add the caveat that simple cruelty does not necessarily constitute humor. To laugh at a woman because she is large, what some people might call "fat" is to laugh at something she likely cannot control, and that's probably simple cruelty, and not humor. At the same time, some of the best jokes i've heard came from people laughing at themselves. The Irish are often capable of this, and one of the best jokes i've ever heard makes fun of a racist. I suggest you attempt to determine if your friend's remarks are genuinely humorous, or just a case of cruelly laughing at others for things they cannot help.

This is a great point, I mean there is a difference between "make fun of a fat woman just for the sake of it" and make this part of a story. Comedies are full of funny characters, fat, skinny, bold, short, ugly, etc. but the willingness of the actors to take part in this gives us a licence to laugh. I am sure there are lots of fat women who don't care what they look like and are willing to make fun of themselves. It is only when the humor is taken out of context, then it borders racism and primitive discrimination. Clarkson targets any kind of people but it is just pure fun, not something he really has against the people and their dignity. For example he makes fun, really wild fun of people from Norfolk, England. He portrays the district as the most prehistoric area, locals don't know about cars, telephones, have never seen a credit card... It is just so much fun to read but I am absolutely sure that Clarkson is not serious and if he met an interesting woman from Norfolk, he might want to be her best friend or marry her or whatever. I am sure he is not as stupid as to believe that actually All Germans are this or that. But why not make fun of Germans or whoever. It just has to be a part of a story or comedy or something. I think I will use the word "girl" again, when I feel like it. Women, pardon me. I really believe you (provided you are over 18)are adult and equal and all that and there is absolutely no reason to underestimate your talents and potential of all sorts. But sometimes it is good to play games and relax.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:12 am
Do you guys think it is crazy to call this question "What do you think of the English?" a racist remark?

I once met a bunch of Austrians in a pub and asked about the difference between the Austrians and the Germans and they told me interesting things. I mean there ARE differences, aren't there. The Austrians just explained what differences they feel and there was not a hint of arrogance or xenophobia. And it was interesting to hear.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:40 pm
Re: Politically incorrect humor?
stach wrote:
Undoubtedly, huge parts of "Western civilized world" - countries like Canada, UK,
France, Germany, basically all Northern America, and Europe excluding
post Soviet block countries, where I am from, is politically correct.
I know a lot of people in the West as well as lot in post Soviet block and can compare.
Here, in the "East" people don't care if they say "when somebody buys a car, HE has to ..."
We say such things all the time and nobody cares. But when I write or speak English, I make sure I write he or she, or they.
I still cannot accept the word "she" when I mean a person in general.

Yeah; I stay with the old style.

Quote:

What is interesting, in our country or other post Soviet countries
it is still okay to make fun of women, fat women, stupid people etc.
But the political correctness is slowly making it here.

U must FIGHT against it.

Quote:
Now when I had already thought that every single intelligent educated Western citizen
is basically politically correct,

NOT SO; I have many well educated friends with doctorates in Mensa,
who have always rejected political correctness, with enthusiasm !

Quote:
I came across bestselling books by Jeremy Clarkson, a popular British journalist and writer. And althouth I thought I was antiracist, antisexist, anti all kinds of discrimination, I noticed I can easily accept his sense of humor and when reading his books, I LOL almost all the time.

He makes fun of vegetarians, Germans, fat women, sick old people, poor people, non smoking people, homosexuals, Americans, village people from Norfolk, all kinds of English people, he makes fun of Wales, Scotland, France, just about everything in the world, you name it. And I clearly realized I have no problem with that kind of humor. I myself don't smoke, don't have to eat meat, respect women of all sizes, am pretty poor, make friends with gay people, but feel immense gratitude that such a person like Clarkson still exists and his books are legally published.

Sounds like he is robustly getting the best use
out of his First Amendment rights.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:43 pm
Re: Politically incorrect humor?
hawkeye10 wrote:
stach wrote:

What is interesting, in our country or other post Soviet countries it is still okay to make fun of women, fat women, stupid people etc. But the political correctness is slowly making it here.

I apologize. I trust that in time you will come to despise political correctness.... it destroys discourse, weakens societies, it encourages individuals to play the victim as well as be petty little sh*ts.

SO STIPULATED !!!
0 Replies