Jackpot at ATM

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 03:32 pm
Quote:
Thursday, 20 March 2008

Cash machine gives double money
Scores of people queued up to use a cash machine after it started giving out double the money requested.

The dispenser, outside a Sainsbury's store in Barham Road, Hull, attracted a big crowd hoping to take advantage of the fault, on Tuesday night.

Police officers were eventually sent to guard the machine and prevent more money from being taken out.

The fault is thought to have affected cash machines at supermarkets across the city.

It is not yet known whether the customers will have to repay the cash or how much money was taken out.

Theft charges

A spokeswoman for Humberside Police said: "Officers received a report that a cash machine on Barham Road was giving double money to customers.

"Officers were deployed and an attempt made to contact the owners of the machine and officers remained at the scene to prevent more people from taking more money out."

The spokeswoman said those who benefited from the fault could be traced and face theft charges, but investigations would only take place if the operator made a complaint.

Sainsbury's said the cash machine did not belong to Sainsbury's Bank so she could not comment on how much money was lost or whether it would have to be repaid.

"At the time we heard that it might also be happening at Morrisons and Asda stores in the Hull area," she said.

The dispenser is owned by a company called Payzone, a spokesman later confirmed.

'Wrong notes'

He said the fault was due to the machine being filled with the wrong denomination of notes.

An investigation was under way into the incident and the machine had been taken out of service, he added.

The Payzone spokesman said: "The cash in transit company which is contracted to service this ATM has filled it up with the wrong denomination of notes, which means it is paying out double."

He could not say how much money had been taken out of the machine, or whether it would have to be paid back.

It was understood that a number of cash machines owned by other companies had also been affected by this problem in Hull, he added.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 957 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 03:43 pm
http://i28.tinypic.com/2rm3981.jpg

Source: Daily Mail, 20.03.08, page 13
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:06 pm
by the time I get there it will be paying out 1/2 money no doubt Sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:56 pm
A couple of years ago, I stopped at this gas station near my house to fill up. It's one of those stations with 6 islands, and like 24 pumps.

Anyway, as I'm fueling, I realize the gage was recording the number of gallons/price reeeeealy slowly, but I could tell the gas was flowing into the tank at a regular volume. I looked around, and everyone else's pumps were working correctly.

I filled up with maybe 10 or 11 gallons, but the pump only registered a little less than 2 gallons.

I'd already paid at the pump, so, I figured, their loss.

But, I did go in the store and told them that pump #9 was malfunctioning.

Well, the cashier I told obviously couldn't care less, was like..."oh...ok" but it was beyond her to think to write a note to the boss or something, so, I figured I'd tried at least.

I went home and told Wally, who owned a workvan with 2 gas tanks at the time, to go fill up on #9.

The next week, I went back, and old #9 was still malfunctioning. So, when I got home, I told the guys who were visiting Wally to go fill up. Went over to Steve and Edies house and told them too.

This went on for more than a month before someone fixed it.
0 Replies

Josheva

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:49 pm
On the subject of the ATM:

I find the whole idea sickening to the stomach. So many people are ready to take advantage of any opportunity thrown at them without any thoughts of consequences to others. It reminds me of a little bit about the Milgram experiment. People have no empathy for others when they cannot directly see them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 02:25 am
The ATM Looters all managed not to remember that the Mean Old Bank--like Santa Claus--knew whether they had been depositing or withdrawing.
0 Replies