Hingehead's music collection

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:23 pm
margo wrote:

Oi! I'm supposed to be the anally-retentive librarian around here.

Are/were you part of the sisterhood? A Fellow of ALIA? ie FALIA (say it out loud).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 12:07 am
hingehead wrote:
margo wrote:

Oi! I'm supposed to be the anally-retentive librarian around here.

Are/were you part of the sisterhood? A Fellow of ALIA? ie FALIA (say it out loud).

Some time back! I'm a lapsed librarian!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 05:45 am
omigod - you've turned away from the dark side!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 05:46 am
Hey where's Dagmar gone? After me researching that rare record for her, too!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:28 pm
hingehead wrote:

But gone to a darker, DARKER side!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 10:07 pm
margo wrote:
hingehead wrote:

Accountancy? IT? Law?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 01:36 pm
Re: Hingehead's music collection
hingehead wrote:

The db is just in MS Access (I first wrote it in about 1993 (Access 2.0?) many upgrades and extensions since then. I designed using ER diagrams so it relational and normalised (to a certain point - tended to use memo fields for the credits on albums and tracks).

So you input all the information manually? I was kinda hoping you had found a tool that worked with a player and a database.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 03:23 pm
Re: Hingehead's music collection
Robert Gentel wrote:
hingehead wrote:

The db is just in MS Access (I first wrote it in about 1993 (Access 2.0?) many upgrades and extensions since then. I designed using ER diagrams so it relational and normalised (to a certain point - tended to use memo fields for the credits on albums and tracks).

So you input all the information manually? I was kinda hoping you had found a tool that worked with a player and a database.

Sorry Robert - I started this before Mosaic was released (the first web browser of any note). We're talking Windows 3!

Windows Media Player will certainly pull album information from the web and apply it the metadata available in mp3/wma files you rip from CD - but, and for me it's a big but, the database of albums is of very variable quality.

The search and sort tools in WMP are pretty cool though - but you couldn't do any of the sort of stuff I can do with my db. Have you ever seen http://www.librarything.com/ ? I think a music version of that would work. Or you could add your collection to Amazon and hope one day they realise they've got the foundation data for building personal music dbs.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 06:46 pm
hingehead wrote:
margo wrote:
hingehead wrote:

Accountancy? IT? Law?

pharmaceuticals IT
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 06:53 pm
margo wrote:
hingehead wrote:
margo wrote:
hingehead wrote:

Accountancy? IT? Law?

pharmaceuticals IT

Drugs and computers. Dream job.....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:03 am
Okay I'll just talk to myself, then.

I got a new/old CD from Amazon yesterday, the John Slaughter Blues Band, A New Coat Of Paint. Good.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:11 am
Is it blues? I think blues is having a spurt at the moment. Amy Winehouse, Holly Golightly, Duffy.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 05:19 am
Blues? You bet your bippy. Yes indeed.

I first heard John Slaughter playing as member of the Chris Barber Jazz and Blues Band. He is ace. When I learned he had made some recordings with his own band......guitar, and horns. It is very good.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 05:34 am
Chris Barber? He's a brit isn't he, and a contemporary of they guy who combo used to appear on Benny Hill's show - very trad jazz influenced - Kenny Ball.

Don't tell me Slaughter is in the same age group?

What does is it reminiscent of that I might I've heard?

I always remember the quote from Muddy Waters(?) about english blues guys 'Them white boys, they want to play the blues so bad. And they do play it so bad.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 06:47 am
hingehead wrote:
Chris Barber? He's a brit isn't he, and a contemporary of they guy who combo used to appear on Benny Hill's show - very trad jazz influenced - Kenny Ball.

Don't tell me Slaughter is in the same age group?

What does is it reminiscent of that I might I've heard?

I always remember the quote from Muddy Waters(?) about english blues guys 'Them white boys, they want to play the blues so bad. And they do play it so bad.

Slaughter is about half Chris Barber's age. But no spring chicken though.
The band has moved on a lot since the early trad revival days.

The record I referred to is reminiscent of some Buddy Guy, JJ Cale, Eric Clapton in his blues-ier moments.
The record has songs on it by John Hiatt, John Mayall, Taj Mahal, Ray Charles, JJ Cale, Tom Waits.

A cheap shot from Muddy Waters. He owes a late flowering of his career, and finances, to "them white boys" wanting to play his music, some very badly in the beginning it has to be admitted, and some well. A few.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:47 pm
To defend Muddy, he was talking back in the early 1960s when was touring England. In those days you couldn't afford to bring your own band so you'd either hire a local act to tour as your backing band or use the club's house band.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:03 pm
Stardate 20080815

Ridiculous Fact No.8

The artists of home I own the most tracks are:
David Bowie 278
The Beatles 233
Original Television Soundtrack 222
Pink Floyd 174
Cure 152
U2 147
XTC 144
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:07 pm
@hingehead,
That's scary Hingey...

We should be friends based on yer taste Shocked

Must be MY fault...

Rock
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:42 pm
It's kind of weird but that's nearly over three decades of collecting music. I was a huge Pink Floyd and Bowie fan in the 1970s. The Beatles were before my time, but somewhere along the line I became a completist. I always had a soft spot for XTC and would often by their albums at record fairs and from bargain bins but rarely listen to them (around Big Wheel, oranges and lemons) - same true for OMD. U2 and the Cure just have had consistent quality for decades but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

I'm guessing we're a similar age and both quite into music, and almost everyone in our boat would name check those artists. Do you still put those guys at the top of your list? For me they're like old comfy runners. Feel good but nothing to get excited about. I'm out there looking for leopard spot winkle pickers. The web is so cool for finding new stuff and having a national broadcaster like Triple J helps too.

Music. A smorgasbord of new flavours and comfort food.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:48 pm
@hingehead,
I'm certain my field runs wider than yours, and I took 10 years off from music bein' stupid, so I'm still catchin' back up.

BUT, You got good taste, my friend...

Rock

(43, but run with guys dyin'...)