is it immoral to go against the government?

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:13 pm
say you dont want to be a part of society, is it immoral for you to renounce your government?

plato gives great details on why to stay loyal, but what if you dont believe the state has your best interest in mind?

say, the korean government.

we see them and think they are oppressed, but are they? do they like how their government is ran?

And if it is immoral, what does it make you think of the american war for independence?

we the americans right or wrong in fighting it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 10:19 pm
I'm in the Pilger school. Always assume that those in power are lying to you.
0 Replies

SerialCoder

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 04:44 am
I don't suppose the question has ever really plagued me. In our culture that question is better asked inverted because we (US) see the question in a philosophical manner as opposed to a genuine moral manner. Have a look at the current hub-bub in the media. Jeremiah Write says, "God Damn America" et cetera. and we go nuts. Since morality is in our culture is not autonomous, yes, it would seem that it is immoral to criticize our government. If I was allowed to maintain my own morality, I would say no it's not wrong.

In my fantasy world it would be acceptable to oppose the actions of my government without being marginalized and considered less of a person. In my fantasy world, everyone would look at the taxes they paid to the government as a personal tithing and expressed permission to kill, maim and defile on our behalf and this would cause us to feel something other than apathy. That's just my fantasy world thoughÂ… In the real world those ideas are awful and un-American.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:26 pm
moral, immoral - only way the G works is if they fear the people. To that end one should do what one can.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:32 pm
I think it depends on what your reasons are for going against the government. If you are going against the government because you think they are immoral in their actions, then your choice to go against them is not immoral.

I don't think you have a moral obligation to side with your government, regardless of what you believe to be right and wrong.
0 Replies