Do we teachers, do we get pay enough?

Amigo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
Cops get paid more then teachers because they need the cops to arrest the teachers when they have a labor strike.

Cops will eventually enforce subsistence wages on workers for the state.

Teachers will be paid for the time in the class room. The time at home is the time you work for free while the people that voted for "No child left behind" gets paid 600,000 thousand a party at the country club. He makes sure the cops get paid well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:08 pm
Normal cops go three years to colloge here. Thus, the earn about the same as primary teachers.
(Not in the very beginning, though: the first couple of years, teachers earn more.)

Higher ranked cops go to university for another year or two - thus, they earn the same as high school teachers.
(Though cops usually don't get up to equivalent position teachers can get - less posts in those with cops than with teachers.)
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 05:37 pm
As I sit here typing this the school district that I have worked in for 23 years is voting on the school budget and the teacher's contracts. I expect that the teacher's contract will not pass.

Our union presented what was considered a fair contract to the administration and school board. They said NO absolutely no raises and they wanted make a whole host of language changes, mosty very unfair, to the contract. The union, in order to come to a fair contract had a neutral party that is used in times of contract negotiations, to help look a the economy, comparable school districts and the contract language. The fact finders came back with a proposal of 2.5% raise ( no where near the cost of living, which we have been under for as long as I can remember) and we would pay 7% more for our benefits. School board said NO. You are getting nothing. So we wait for the public to have mercy at this point....

I think that is what bothers me the most is public opinion. Many people feel we are over paid for what we do. After all how difficult is it to hang out with kids all day? Most people don't realize what teachers do "behind the scene" The hours of work put in after school, evenings and weekends. We don't earn over time and spend much of "all that summer time we have off", without pay, serving on committees and preparing materials for the next school year. Not to even mention the amount of time we have to put into keeping our certifications up to date. I think people would be very surprised if teachers kept track of all the hours put in and broke their salary down to hourly wage.

So I guess that was a lengthy way of saying, yes I think teachers are under paid for what they do, and sadly under appreciated. I don't mean to whine...I would teach regardless, it's what I do, it's what I love. Being able to pay the bills is nice too.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 05:47 pm
Oh, and Izzie, our fearless captain, thanks for speaking up and appreciating the teachers! xxoo
0 Replies

bubbly08

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:14 pm
I agree with you, stormwatch!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:36 pm
Chai wrote:
Lash wrote:
If you are a teacher, I beg you to sharpen your language skills.

Great minds think alike Lash.

bubbly, what is your native language?

What country do you teach in?

Exactly my first thought. I agree that teachers should be paid a decent wage, however, I also feel that the children should get the best education possible for the money. Poor language and writing skills do not benefit the children.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:52 pm
No. Teachers are not paid enough.
When a professional athlete makes millions in one year while an educator, who holds the future of most of our children in their hands, makes a mere pittance in comparison, there is something deeply, deeply wrong with our priorities. That's my opinion. I've heard all of the arguments in defense of athletes but, my opinion stands.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:52 pm
Stormwatch wrote:
As I sit here typing this the school district that I have worked in for 23 years is voting on the school budget and the teacher's contracts. I expect that the teacher's contract will not pass.

Our union presented what was considered a fair contract to the administration and school board. They said NO absolutely no raises and they wanted make a whole host of language changes, mosty very unfair, to the contract. The union, in order to come to a fair contract had a neutral party that is used in times of contract negotiations, to help look a the economy, comparable school districts and the contract language. The fact finders came back with a proposal of 2.5% raise ( no where near the cost of living, which we have been under for as long as I can remember) and we would pay 7% more for our benefits. School board said NO. You are getting nothing. So we wait for the public to have mercy at this point....

I think that is what bothers me the most is public opinion. Many people feel we are over paid for what we do. After all how difficult is it to hang out with kids all day? Most people don't realize what teachers do "behind the scene" The hours of work put in after school, evenings and weekends. We don't earn over time and spend much of "all that summer time we have off", without pay, serving on committees and preparing materials for the next school year. Not to even mention the amount of time we have to put into keeping our certifications up to date. I think people would be very surprised if teachers kept track of all the hours put in and broke their salary down to hourly wage.

So I guess that was a lengthy way of saying, yes I think teachers are under paid for what they do, and sadly under appreciated. I don't mean to whine...I would teach regardless, it's what I do, it's what I love. Being able to pay the bills is nice too.
Spreading the word is the first step. Don't give up on the power of public opinion. There are ways to fight. But the very first thing is to start talking to people. Half my work is on the computer at home. I am never off.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:11 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Normal cops go three years to colloge here. Thus, the earn about the same as primary teachers.
(Not in the very beginning, though: the first couple of years, teachers earn more.)

Higher ranked cops go to university for another year or two - thus, they earn the same as high school teachers.
(Though cops usually don't get up to equivalent position teachers can get - less posts in those with cops than with teachers.)

I've had 6.5 years of higher ed.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:59 am
Follow up to my post last night:

Several years ago in order to keep getting the school budget passed, the administration separated out the teacher's contracts from the rest of the budget to be voted on separately.

Last night the rest of the school budget passed the vote, but not the teacher's contract. This is typically the case.

So we continue working without a contract and have a slap in the face to go along with it. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies