hoping to see Australia for 8 weeks

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:29 pm
I posted a thread titled "backpacking" but now I'd like to get more info about Australia.

I've never dreamed that I'd be able to travel so far from home. But I'm going to take 2 months off of work next year and want to know what to look forward to.

What 2 months would be ideal for backpacking through the country. I'd like to see New Zealand and rest in Fiji on the way home. Can I see everything great that the country has to offer in 2 months?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,545 • Replies: 32
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:44 pm
Lol! How would you answer that re the USA?

It's a nice long time, though.

What sort of things do you want to experience?

And what time of year are you thinkingh of coming?

(Mind you, half the place is a dustbowl right now, with the worst drought for at least a hundred years......)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:58 pm
oh marty, can i come along in your backpack? it sounds like a trip of a lifetime. are you going alone? with friends? want to see cities? or mostly wild nature? both?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:59 pm
It would be ideal for me to travel when the weather is not blistering hot but warm enough to enjoy a beach here and there. I have to admit that I'm not very knowledgable about your country but want to learn and explore something new to me.

I'd like to snorkel along the Great Barrier Reef, see Sydney Harbour, see Ayers Rock, learn about the countries history and see the native landscapes including the beautiful waterfalls and wildlife, taste wines and what ever other wonderful things that get suggested.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:03 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
oh marty, can i come along in your backpack? it sounds like a trip of a lifetime. are you going alone? with friends? want to see cities? or mostly wild nature? both?

So far I'm going alone and a friend may join me for a portion of the trip if she can come up with the funds. Come on dagmaraka, you can come too.

When I traveled Europe I was into the cities and museums. I did dedicate one day in the Cinque Terra for hiking the non-tourist trail. That was so peaceful. I'd like to see a lot of nature on this trip. But seeing Sydney Harbour is a must too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:21 pm
martybarker wrote:
It would be ideal for me to travel when the weather is not blistering hot but warm enough to enjoy a beach here and there. I have to admit that I'm not very knowledgable about your country but want to learn and explore something new to me.

I'd like to snorkel along the Great Barrier Reef, see Sydney Harbour, see Ayers Rock, learn about the countries history and see the native landscapes including the beautiful waterfalls and wildlife, taste wines and what ever other wonderful things that get suggested.

Sounds like spring or autumn........September. October, November is Spring.....March, April, May is Autumn (though, in the hot bits, April is more reliable as spring).

The Barrier Reef is in the tropics, so is pretty accessible anytime.

Uluru (NOT Ayers Rock, which is the colonial name) is best seen when not too hot...so late spring, or Autumn is great.

My state, South Australia, is the main wine state ( I'd be happy to show you round)...we have the Barossa ( a dream in Autumn), the Clare Valley and the Southern Vales.

NSW and Victoria and WA also have great wine regions.

Sinney Harbour is great anytime.

History is great anywhere.....but you ought to look for Aboriginal input wherever you go. They are the oldest continuing culture in the world, and many places offer Aboriginal input.

Sydney is the site of first European Settlement, and parts of Old Sydney, like The Rocks are great.

Tasmania is full of natural beauty and convict history, as well as glorious temperate rainforest, and tundra (Australia's Antarctic folk train there).

The Blue Mountains are wonderful.

WA has glorious country up north......and you have to see more of the Centre than Uluru.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:37 pm
If you're doing the tropics and the reef might I suggest you do that October and head South further into our Spring (your Fall) as it warms up. Uluru would also be fine around that time (but cold at night).

Which bit of the US are you from? Northern Australia is a bit Florida and Tasmania is a bit Montana. I could almost start another thread just pairing states between the two countries.

Speaking as the sole Cairns A2K'er - avoid our wet season/cyclone season: December to May - you might get a good day, you might not.

Traveller's tip. You don't have to tip - unless you think the food and service has been outstanding. We don't tip cab drivers, concierges or other hotel staff (they actually get a living wage, just). Although they might think you will because your American, but ordinarily they aren't the least offended.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:07 am
Spring or Autumn would be my choice for Victoria my state Marty but anytime is good. Autumn, from March thru May being the best time of year weather wise.

We have grazing country, rolling hills, green pastures, Forests, bushwalking trails, and mountains. I saw a video of Kentucky once and it looked remarkably similar terrain.

We may possibly have a bed for a night or two.

And pay no attention to the damnrabbit's assertion that Sth Australia is the main wine state. She hasn't got a clue. Probably thinks star wine is good.

The Yarra Valley just outside Melbourne is where its at these days when it comes to wine.

Here is a site that may help.
http://www.couchsurfing.com

Join using a false name and address if you wish though it is safe. we are members and so is my daughter. Join the Australia group and ask questions.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:33 am
Hey Marty, are you bringing that gorgeous little dog in the knitted cap & outfit with you to Oz? :wink:

(Love that dog! Very Happy )

I'm in Victoria, the same state as dadpad. I live in the capital city, Melbourne. Please feel free ask if you think I can be of any assistance & I'll do my best to oblige. But I think you're more interested in nature & trecking & activities like that? Yes?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 04:30 pm
Hi Marty,

I can only suggest places I've been that you may like (some other places have been way to long ago)

I would think early Autumn (March-April) would be ideal for you if you like going to the beach, don't want the sun to be too hot, but don't want the water to be too cold.

Sydneys beaches are great, just as are the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast beaches (south and north of Brisbane respectively). A visit to any one of the animal parks is a must if you are into Australian animals (they are rather difficult to see in the wild, except for Kangaroos that is)

If you visit the Gold Coast, and like waterfalls, rainforest and the likes, the Gold Coast Hinterlands offers plenty of such. Springbrook offers numerous small waterfalls, and a place called 'Natural Arch' - a waterfall that falls into a small cave. And O'Reilly's is a mountaintop cafe where you can purchase seeds, hold out your hand and get lots of Crimson Rosella's land on you (in your hair, on your shoulders, on your hand etc) looking for a feed. The Rosella's are bright red & blue - it also has a treetop walk (a bridge suspended between numerous large trees). There's other places of interest up there.

North Queensland, you have the Whitsundays (large group of beautiful islands), The Great Barrier Reef (it's in danger of dying out due to climate change and other things - some scientists think it may not last 20 years), Cairns and surrounds...well...it's surrounds really - Daintree may still have the leaping crocodiles (the boat operates hold food out of them above the river, and the crocodiles leap out to get it), though I've no idea why they would want to encourage such behaviour; the Atherton Tablelands has plenty of waterfalls, and is pleasant visit for a day out. There's lots of other places around Cairns (Green Island, Port Douglas, hmmm, plenty of falls)

Oh, and though I've never been there, the War Memorial (there was something about History?) is Canberra is meant to be amazing. I've heard a day is not enough to see it.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
I'll be watching for the Crimson Rosella's for sure. I love the wildlife and will have to visit some preserves. As far as Daintree, I think I'll have to pass on the leaping crocodiles. Thanks for the tips!

Keep em coming. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:45 pm
G'day martyb...

Checking in.

Getting around. The backpacker way is on the buses! Certainly the trip up the coast to the Barrier Reef is well travelled.

Getting to Uluru - it's a bloody long way, and the trip would be pretty tedious - so you'll probably have to fly that one (unless you are exceptionally masochistic). And, at present, Qantas is the only airline flying there (airport is Ayers Rock) . Depending on how much you want to see - Darwin - Alice Springs - Uluru might be good. Then you could continue down to Adelaide, or fly somewhere.

Uluru - flies are a problem (you need to wear one of those dorky hats with a fly net) from about September to May.

If you pick, say April - May, (or March April) you'd want to start in the south e.g. Tasmania, and move north with the winter. September - October - start north and work south.

I recall you live in Washington state, so the cold weather shouldn't worry you. Tasmania is probably a bit like home for you.

Ask away!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:44 pm
Couchsurfing - interesting website, dp.

Had any visitors at your place?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:59 pm
margo wrote:
Couchsurfing - interesting website, dp.

Had any visitors at your place?

Not at this time Margo, but daughter has used it extensively in Sweden. Now she has her own place she is a regular host.
Snow season might see a few here.

Marty we have Rosellas in our backyard.... and cockatoos and magpies sometimes kookaburras.

If you want to stay a day or so here PM me, and we can exchange info I have to check with mumpad but should be OK.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:06 am
The Gahn, Southern aurora, and/or Indian Pacific might be good.

These are train trips across different parts of the country Marty.

Greyhound has no bus service to speak of in Aust.

the most extensive bus service in Victoria is run by V-Linewho also run the trains.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:29 am
Mumpad and I decided that $100.00 aud per day average would cover basic food and attractions for most of your trip but probably not accomadadtion and travel.
I travell a little for work and stay in caravan park on site vans.
They generally cost between $60.00 - 80.00 per night. high volume places such as the gold coast would be more. these vans come with cooking facillities and pots pand cutlery etc. sometimes they do not have linen. you would need a sleeping bag.

There are cheaper alternatives such as backpackers hostels, even these range in price depending on their facilities

mumpad is now saying $100.00/ day might be a little on the low side even.

What about Hiring a campervan for some of the trip?

a camper van would cost between $60.00 and $150.00 per day depending on the type of van. fuel on top of that.
http://www.aussiecampervans.com/

Kangaroo island, off South Australias coast and Fraser Island off Queensland coast might be worth a look.

http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

http://www.frasercoastholidays.info/

there are tonnes of Witsunday islands to choose from off the queensland coast and a million ways to see them. I've stayed on south molle island It was nice. It would suit you I think. Some/most islands are... not for the budget conscious. stay on the main land and daytrip.
http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/the-whitsundays/destinations/74-islands.cfm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:34 am
Great Kepple Island was also nice. It is off the coast from Rockhampton
Google maps
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:11 pm
dadpad wrote:

How weird, I'd always thought dad and I were from the same Australia:

http://www.greyhound.com.au/
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:23 pm
hingehead wrote:
dadpad wrote:

You live in FNQ. Whole different country my friend.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:19 pm
dadpad wrote:
hingehead wrote:
dadpad wrote:

You live in FNQ. Whole different country my friend.

And another time!
0 Replies