views on abortion and euthanasia

fungotheclown

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:09 pm
There is a difference between unverifiable and not currently having the means to verify something. All of my criteria are fundamentally verifiable, we just haven't gotten around to creating the means yet. I'm not playing this game on your turf.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
The thing is there are an infinite number of arbitrary points in time which could be used. All of which are better than conception in legal terms.

I'm not proposing that all those points have equal merit, but the idea of conception does not reflect the interests of the woman or the state.

T
K
O
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:48 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
real life wrote:
fungo,

Your 'proposed milestone' as you term it, is untestable and unverifiable, as you admitted.

So why do you object to it when I point out that it is therefore unscientific?

Again, let's make it easy.

Is the unborn sufficiently developed 1 minute before birth[/u][/i] to qualify him for protection in your view?

If you cannot quickly and without qualification answer YES, then you fully deserve the label 'ProAbortion' that you so strenuously objected to.

There is a difference between unverifiable and not currently having the means to verify something.

No, there's not.

You can speculate about what you may be able to verify at some point in the future.

But we're talking about now.

Unverifiable means you don't have the ability to verify.

Your 'proposed milestone' is meaningless, because neither you nor anyone else can tell when or if it has been reached.

Your pretense of a reasonable defense is nothing more than cloaking your opinion in pseudo-scientific jargon.

You have no facts, and have admitted that you can't get them either.

So, since it's just your opinion that we are discussing:

Do you think that a woman ought to have the legal right to an abortion throughout the term of pregnancy up to the point of birth?
[/u][/i]
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
Diest TKO wrote:
RL - If you can't identify and articulate how society is jeopardized by aboriton in a practical sense, you can't make the case you are making for it to be ilegal.

How is society jeopardized when those who cannot defend themselves are fair game?

Hmmmmmmmm, let's think about it.

Lots of folks can fit in that category. If they 'disappeared' , it can be argued that social order would not be harmed, it might even be enhanced.

Let's think about the mentally ill, the aged, the terminally ill, the handicapped, newborns, criminals, those with politically volatile opinions, hermits and other asocial types.........

If a mother wants to pitch her newborn in the dumpster, how is the social order undermined? Just one less mouth to feed and one less 'unwanted' child waiting to be an abuse victim later on in life (of course infanticide IS abuse, but let's not talk about that).

How many groups of folks are you willing to put on the 'Expendable' list?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:42 pm
Re: views on abortion and euthanasia
rockpie wrote:
personally i am undecided on both matters
but i am interested in hearing what anybody else has to say on them.

are you for or against abortion and euthanasia?
does it depend on the circumstances?
is one can be legalised, why not the other? etc.

I, for one, disapprove of euthanasia being imposed on folks
against their will, unless thay deserve it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:46 pm
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
RL - If you can't identify and articulate how society is jeopardized by aboriton in a practical sense, you can't make the case you are making for it to be ilegal.

How is society jeopardized when those who cannot defend themselves are fair game?

Lots of folks can fit in that category. If they 'disappeared' , it can be argued that social order would not be harmed, it might even be enhanced.

Let's think about the mentally ill, the aged, the terminally ill, the handicapped, newborns, criminals, those with politically volatile opinions, hermits and other asocial types.........

If a mother wants to pitch her newborn in the dumpster, how is the social order undermined? Just one less mouth to feed and one less 'unwanted' child waiting to be an abuse victim later on in life (of course infanticide IS abuse, but let's not talk about that).

Screw society.

Both issues are of INDIVIDUAL concern.

As to abortion,
it is a matter of the hostess defending herself from an intrusive parasite.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:47 pm
Hermits ??????????
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:13 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
rockpie wrote:

David

And who deserves it?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:23 am
rockpie wrote:
personally i am undecided on both matters but i am interested in hearing what anybody else has to say on them.

are you for or against abortion and euthanasia? does it depend on the circumstances? is one can be legalised, why not the other? etc.

I personally do not think the two are intertwined, or even the same thing.

And as for what I personally believe - that isn't the question to me.

The question is whether it is up to the Government to enforce a decision one way or another on women and couples and families and soceity in general.

And the answer, to me, is NO. That I believe is a choice that should be left in the hands of individuals. To decide what is right for them, in their unique circumstances.

The government, or state's job is to create appropriate measures to ensure that there is not abuse of these rights and freedoms. For the good of the majority.

As for what I personally believe - abortion and euthanasia are valid choices in some circumstances.

There is a very interesting case that was and is highly publicized here in Canada about a man and his daughter, Robert and Tracy Latimer.

He has recently been released - and the controversy and public opinion on this is very interesting.

Here's one link (there is a lot of info about this on google!) for a run-down:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/prbpubs/919-e.htm
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 03:03 pm
real life wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
rockpie wrote:

David

And who deserves it?

The Rosenbergs deserved it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 03:15 pm
Both should be discouraged, regulated, and available. It is the only way to mediate the needs of the society against the needs of the individual.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 04:45 pm
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

You changed the question...
real life wrote:

real life wrote:

That "category" is one you created, not the category which I asked about. Only the unborn can be aborted. You're trying to dodge.
real life wrote:

Again, you are dodging. I asked a simple question, and you can't answer it. As for your list, you're trying to imply a systemic implementation, I only ask about an individuals choice. Of all the things on your list, I think it's interesting that you put two things of interest.

1) Criminals
2) The elderly

The first is interesting because it is one population which society does in fact take away their freedoms, and in some cases while those freedoms are the custody of the state, they are executed.

The second is interesting because in some cases the elderly (or terminally ill) decide that they are in great pain and would prefer to take their own lives.

real life wrote:

Well this has implications of potential fraud for one. Two, unlike unplanned pregnancy, a mother with a born child has options in terms of relieving herself of the burden of care. In short: Nobody can give birth for you, but society provides a means to raise a child in your absence. IF you don't plan to raise the child, you have choices prior to the dumpster.

real life wrote:

Peculiar that you use the word expendable, when I certainly never have. More interesting is that you imply I'm creating some list, which I am not.

Your arguments are taylored on a gross misinterpretations. I don't believe that the unborns are expendable. I simply don't believe that a woman's choice needs to be governed by law. The reasons I don't are centric around the fact that abortion doesn't threaten social order. I believe that a woman can make a choice on her own. I do conceed that abortion can be regulated, but I believe that society can comprimise between the intrests of the woman, the unborn, and the state.

T
K
O
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:08 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Both should be discouraged, regulated, and available.
It is the only way to mediate the needs of the society against the needs of the individual.

If the time ever comes
that I choose to end my earthly life,
I will have NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST INTEREST
in the needs of society.

I will be interested in my own comfort and convenience.

If a man were ending his life,
by WHAT REASONING wud he care about the needs of SOCIETY ??

HOW can u regulate suicide ???????????????????
WHAT is the penalty for violating the regulations thereof ??
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:18 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

I don't believe that the unborn are expendable.
I simply don't believe that a woman's choice needs to be governed by law.
The reasons I don't are centric around the fact that abortion doesn't
threaten social order. I believe that a woman can make a choice on her own.
I do conceed that abortion can be regulated, but I believe that society
can comprimise between the intrests of the woman, the unborn, and the state.

T
K
O

The fetus simply has no right to be there,
in his role as a bloodsucking parasite that will leave
his hostess-victim, in a state of pain for several hours; ( maybe worse ).
By an abortion,
the victim is only taking possession of her own body
to expel the intrusive parasite,
like a realty owner throwing out a burglar.

There is no reason for government to get involved.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:32 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Suicide is not the subject, euthanasia is, which is societal assisted suicide. You regulate this by regulating the punishment handed out to those who assist others who wish to die by artificial means.

At the end the individual who wishes to check out likely does not care what is the wish of the collective, but the collective has a stake in making sure that the collective is not weakened by individuals choosing to check out. The collective might find it in the interest of the group to teach that ending a life by artificial means is a bad thing, might have an interest in punishing those who take part in euthanasia. The collective can, and many have, bound up taking a human life except in war and capital punishment in shame, in order to cut down the number of individuals who do it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:39 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Suicide is not the subject, euthanasia is, which is societal assisted suicide. You regulate this by regulating the punishment handed out to those who assist others who wish to die by artificial means.

At the end the individual who wishes to check out likely does not care what is the wish of the collective, but the collective has a stake in making sure that the collective is not weakened by individuals choosing to check out. The collective might find it in the interest of the group to teach that ending a life by artificial means is a bad thing, might have an interest in punishing those who take part in euthanasia. The collective can, and many have, bound up taking a human life except in war and capital punishment in shame, in order to cut down the number of individuals who do it.

So, the essence of your remark
is a dissuasive propaganda campaign; right ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:47 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
So, the essence of your remark
is a dissuasive propaganda campaign; right ?

The collective always imposes its will upon the individual by way of propaganda, so of course the answer is yes. I am not saying that it is right. I am saying this is how it is. The propaganda campaign most used during the last two generations is the selling of free markets and of unfettered corporate culture. Worked like a charm too, most bought the spiel hook line and sinker. Multiculturalism runs a close second. Thing is there were always a lot of strong arguments against both, but they got completely drowned out by all of the propaganda.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:45 am
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

..... I asked a simple question, and you can't answer it.

Your question implies that if a group of persons ( the unborn, the mentally ill, the handicapped, the terminally ill, etc) 'won't be missed' , then it's ok to kill them.

Just because your victim is powerless to defend himself or to even speak for himself doesn't mean that killing him has no effect on society.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 01:19 pm
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

Your question implies that if a group of persons ( the unborn, the mentally ill, the handicapped, the terminally ill, etc) 'won't be missed' , then it's ok to kill them.

Just because your victim is powerless to defend himself or to even speak for himself doesn't mean that killing him has no effect on society.

Then back it up. What is the net negitvie effect? You can't say that there is and then just expect that to be enough. Also, I have never said "won't be missed" so you're building a strawman. I suggest you stop.

T
K
O
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:43 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

Then back it up. What is the net negitvie effect? You can't say that there is and then just expect that to be enough.

What do you want, an equation and a numerical answer?

Innocent people are dead. That's the negative effect.

Diest TKO wrote:
Also, I have never said "won't be missed" so you're building a strawman. I suggest you stop.

T
K
O

I didn't put it in quotes like you just did.

It is substantially what you are saying, but not an exact quote. And I never suggested it was.

You state or imply that there is no negative impact on society when innocent lives are ended.

It is not a strawman, you simply want to deny the implication of your statement.
0 Replies