Robot Dinosaur and Human behavior

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 11:13 pm
These people are petting a machine... and they are enjoying it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94CBFuFgqS0

I know, it's cute. But what's interesting is how strongly people react to its behaviors even though they know it's a machine.

It appears that the more machines 'act' like they are alive, the more people treat them like they are alive. It makes you wonder just how advanced robots will have to become before we start to treat them like living things.

It used to be assumed that a machine would have to be extremely advanced to fool us into thinking it was alive, but it's starting to appear that regardless of our knowledge of their "mechanicity", we are compelled to interact with machines as living things, as long as they behave like living things. Our natural sense of empathy is so strongly affected by rudimentary behaviors (which is all this little Pleo is currently capable of) that it over rides our perception of machines as machines.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,841 • Replies: 2
No top replies

spendius

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 05:00 am
ros wrote-

Quote:
and they are enjoying it...

Appear to be enjoying it might be more likely. Cameras affect people.

There's ventriloquist's dummies. Furbies. Blow up dolls.

I've seen people caress their motor cars.

The French refer to most things as 'he' or 'she'.

It's animism.

I thought you would have scoffed ros.

Greyhounds chase the "hare" at dogtracks and cats will chase anything that moves when they are young.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:16 am
I've read about hard-boiled marines getting very emotionally involved with the robotic devices that seek out anti-personnel mines.

No one questions that a ship has a name. On land, many automobiles, tractor trailers and pieces of earth moving equipment have been personalized with names.

Children frequently pick a portable piece of the world such as a blanket or a teddy bear and endow this beloved belonging with great powers of succor and comfort.
0 Replies