Oh come all ye faithful.

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:44 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It's in contradiction to the tradition(s) of the two large popular Christian churches (Catholic church and Evangelical Church of Germany) here.

So those, a really very small minority, are only to be found in a few sectarian churches.

That's in Germany, I assume? Why is it in contradiction, theologically speaking?

Noddy24 wrote:
Not all Born Agains handle serpents--or speak in tongues.

I don't care what they do with their snakes and their tongues (within reasonable limits), I wanna know about their fundamentalism.

Green Witch wrote:
The US is infested with these people who think they are the only ones who have it right (no pun intended}. They come in all shapes, colors and backgrounds. It is most annoying when you end up on a bus or train next to them and they open with the sentence, "Hi I'm Elsie Mae. Have you given your life to Christ?". A few will back off if you hiss at them, but many will try again because they believe they are scoring "Jesus points" and maybe you will be their friend in heaven. I had much more tolerance for these people before they got into The White House. I hate to admit it, but they have changed the way I see all Christians - and it's not for the better. I apologize to all the normal Christians in the room if I have ever offended you with my hostilities.

The following definition of "born again" is from Wikipedia and I think it explains it better than I can:

Quote:
Born again is a term used primarily in the Fundamentalist, Evangelical, and Pentecostal branches of Protestant Christianity, where it is associated with salvation, conversion and spiritual rebirth...

The idea of being born again carries with it the theological idea that a Christian is a new creation, given a fresh start by the action of God, freed from a sinful past life and able to begin a new life in relationship with Christ via the Holy Spirit. John Wesley and Christians associated with early Methodism referred to the born again experience as 'the New Birth'.

In recent history, born again is a term that has been associated with evangelical renewal since the late 1960s, first in the United States and then later around the world. Associated perhaps initially with Jesus People and the Christian counterculture, born again came to refer to an intense conversion experience, and was increasingly used as a term to identify devout believers."

So, are "Evangelical, and Pentecostal branches of Protestant Christianity, associated with salvation, conversion and spiritual rebirth..." generally fundamentalists? Your source named them as SEPARATE from fundamentalists, which implies they aren't, but i am still not clear.

I wonder why the US appears to be specially "infested"? How common, I wonder, is this type of christianity elsewhere????

ebrown_p wrote:
My understanding of the term "born again Christian" is someone who:

1) Believes that there is a heaven and a hell.

2) Believes that believing in Jesus is the only way to get to Heaven (this implies that other religions will not be able to go to heaven).

3) Believes that the Bible is the word of God. There is some wiggle room as to what this means, but a born again Christian is someone who bases their beliefs on the Bible.

This is my understanding of the term as someone who once fit this category.

That sounds as though thay ARE all fundamentalists, depending, I suppose, on how generous is the "wiggle room"?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:45 am
Question 2.
jespah wrote:
dlowan wrote:
...I don't know if other religions get born again???????...

We Jews are only born once, as it was pain enough the first time. Or so our mothers tell us.

Laughing

So...what DOES happen to Jews when they die?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Different brands, rabbit.

Oh? What brands, and how do they differ, please!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:56 am
Religion is silly.

And it causes a lot of problems, too.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:31 am
Fundamentalist Christianity - from Wiki...

Quote:
Fundamentalist Christianity, also known as Christian Fundamentalism or Fundamentalist Evangelicalism, is a movement that arose mainly within British and American Protestantism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries among conservative evangelical Christians, who, in a reaction to modernism, actively affirmed a fundamental set of Christian beliefs: the inerrancy of the Bible, Sola Scriptura, the virgin birth of Christ, the doctrine of substitutionary atonement, the bodily resurrection of Jesus, and the imminent personal return of Jesus Christ.

...The Christian fundamentalist movement evolved during the early-to-mid 1900s to become separatist in nature and more characteristically dispensational in its theology. Most fundamentalists strongly disagree with doctrines and practices of the Roman Catholic Church for theological reasons, although in recent years there has been an increase in political cooperation between individuals in both groups on certain social issues, such as in opposing abortion. However, the relationships between Fundamentalist Christians and others are still often strained due to historical/cultural perceptions and strongly divergent views on a number of theological issues.

Interesting history if you want to read the rest.

I hadn't really divided 'em up in my head the way Wiki does. Having been raised Methodist, many years after the founding of Fundamentalism," I found Methodism quite non-fundamental.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:31 am
all christianity, whether born again or traditional, no matter which congregation, is hypercritical, and full of contradictions so should be ignored and left to stand on boxes shouting at passers by.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:36 am
Perhaps you meant to write hypocritical . . . although hypercritical does have a certain poignant irony when it comes to bible-thumpers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:09 am
dlowan wrote:
JPB wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
I read a lot of religious tomes in my day, back then based on my own religion, roman catholicism. Doubt and rehab from doubt a continuing theme. Thomas Merton, a best seller born again in a way.. Not to mock him, I still have respect, not that what I respected when I read Seven Story Mountain would hold up for me now, but that I respect the journey.

But, he wasn't a fundy as such.

Merton actually had a second conversion, osso, which liberated much of his Catholic doctrinal beliefs. He espoused liberal Catholicism (I chuckled the first time someone told me they were a liberal Catholic -- didn't know it was possible).

Born again usually refers to a first conversion -- accepting the concept of Original Sin, the crucifixion of Christ as redemption for OS and salvation through faith rather than works.

Second conversion refers to moving past all that and accepting a relationship with the divine without constrict to dogma (a la Merton, the Dali Lama, Rumi, and other mystics).

You have me all confused with this. So...some people just keep on and on getting born again????

very few. Those I refer to as having had a 'second conversion' undergo a transformation (whether by epiphany or over time) that allows them to understand spirituality and a relationship with the divine (however you want to describe that) as something outside the faith practices of their own religion. Take the Dali Lama as an example. For many years he believed (and professed) that Buddhism was the one true way to Enlightenment (or connection to the divine in Buddhist-speak). He now believes (and professes) that a greater spiritual life, now and in the hereafter, does not depend on following the teachings of the Buddha, but on a personal connection through whatever practices get you there.

As a religious leader he no longer professes his way as The Way but simply one way. Most people never get to this level of spirituality and/or tolerance.

First conversion is the acceptance of a particular dogmatic practice as Truth. Second conversion transcends any one religion.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:11 am
both hypo and hyper are prefixes i would gladly enable
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:50 am
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps you meant to write hypocritical . . . although hypercritical does have a certain poignant irony when it comes to bible-thumpers.
Heh Heh
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 02:35 pm
Hi Dlowan, maybe this would help .... it is not religious but then the true answer may not be.

klik
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:05 pm
Quote:
Oh come all ye faithful.

I haven't the time to read this thread but I vote "Aye".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:49 pm
BUMP!!!

dlowan wrote:
Question 2.
jespah wrote:
dlowan wrote:
...I don't know if other religions get born again???????...

We Jews are only born once, as it was pain enough the first time. Or so our mothers tell us.

Laughing

So...what DOES happen to Jews when they die?????

(Apart from worms and all........)

dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Different brands, rabbit.

Oh? What brands, and how do they differ, please!

Please????
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:12 pm
Re: Oh come all ye faithful.
dlowan wrote:
Questions I have always wanted to ask the religious.

1. Are all "born-agains" (christian, I mean...I don't know if other religions get born again???????...well, I guess people who believe in reincarnation do, but not in the same way)of necessity fundamentalists, or are there different brands, as it were?

A question I've always (well, recently) wanted to ask, if I may.

How come "born agains" are such strong supporters of patriotism & war? I refer to the US variety of "born agains", in particular. What does patriotism have to do with religious faith? I am sincerely perplexed by this. I honestly don't get it. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my perception, but it seems to me to be as much a political movement (in the US) as a religious one ... Confused
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:23 pm
I don't know, msolga, and I've been here 63 some years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:27 pm
roger wrote:
I don't know, msolga, and I've been here 63 some years.

That's OK, roger. I know you did your best to find the answer. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:30 pm
Re: Oh come all ye faithful.
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Questions I have always wanted to ask the religious.

1. Are all "born-agains" (christian, I mean...I don't know if other religions get born again???????...well, I guess people who believe in reincarnation do, but not in the same way)of necessity fundamentalists, or are there different brands, as it were?

A question I've always (well, recently) wanted to ask, if I may.

How come "born agains" are such strong supporters of patriotism & war? I refer to the US variety of "born agains", in particular. What does patriotism have to do with religious faith? I am sincerely perplexed by this. I honestly don't get it. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my perception, but it seems to me to be as much a political movement (in the US) as a religious one ... Confused

That segues into my question 3:

How do christians, jews and buddhists support war?????

(Re buddhists, this is especially directed at Asherman, who, I think, claims to be buddhist, yet appears to glory in killing?)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:42 pm
Yeah. How come? Confused

In my neck of the woods Christians are some of the strongest supporters of the oppressed in our own community & in other places on the planet. I have the greatest respect & also fondness for them. I've marched in the same anti-war rallies as huge contingents of Christian groups - young & old, progressive & conservative. It is almost unthinkable for them to have supported the invasion of Iraq, say ....
But perhaps they weren't the "born again" variety? Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:44 pm
msolga wrote:
Yeah. How come? Confused

In my neck of the woods Christians are some of the strongest supporters of the oppressed in our own community & in other places on the planet. I have the greatest respect & also fondness for them. I've marched in the same anti-war rallies as huge contingents of Christian groups - young & old, progressive & conservative. It is almost unthinkable for them to have supported the invasion of Iraq, say ....
But perhaps they weren't the "born again" variety? Confused

Yeah....ditto!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:55 pm
... they also don't declare they are Christians, all over the place, to all & sundry! "God" doesn't constantly pop up in casual conversations with them. Sometimes I've wondered about the motivations of a particular person whose actions & commitments I've admired a lot ... & discovered, almost by accident, that it's their Christian beliefs that constantly inspires them. Folk like this I really respect & admire.
0 Replies