12.00 plant at grocery store

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 02:50 pm
So what is it?

How do I take care of it?

I have no CLUE what it is. There was no information on it at all and there was only one for sale
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4800/donewv0.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,880 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:18 pm
twelve dollars Shocked

you could have gotten it a garden ridge for 2.99
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:27 pm
shut up!

No way.........
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:38 pm
Looks like a Ginger plant....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:11 pm
actually, I can tell you right now it's a sequoia seedling.

hope you plan on moving to a bigger place.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:06 pm
pick off the dried-up and curled outer leaves and give it a drink (not too much til you know what you've got). Looks like a variation of something I've got here. If it's what I think it is it likes indirect light (northern window) and moderate watering...

p.s. I nearly killed mine.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 07:25 pm
It is right now in a south/western facing window that gets about 3 hours of mild, but direct sunlight.

i should move it?

How big do you think it will get?

Right now, it is about as tall as Jillian, or a little past my hips. Im 5 ' 6"
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 07:41 pm
Looks like a houseplant known as Stromanthe sanguinea. I think the common name is "Never, Never Plant", but I don't know why it's called that.

I swiped this off of some website when I Googled the latin:

Stromanthe genus contains two species grown indoors. S. amabilis and S. sanguinea.
# Description - S. amabilis has compact leaves which are 15-25cm long and 5cm wide. S. sanguinea has larger glossy leaves which are up to 30 to 50cm long and around 10cm wide. Both have a creeping rhizome (a thicken stem which grows hoizontally below or on the soil surface) and produce fanlike sprays of leaves.
# Origin - Brazil, Honduras and Costa Rica
# Family - Marantacae family
# Care Tips - Protect from strong temperature fluctuations and draughts with a temperature not below 15°C. Water moderately, mist often as needs humidity. Feed half strength every 14 days in growing seasons. Enjoys a medium light.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 08:04 pm
I looked at those pictures and it looks like they are referring to a smaller potted plant.

This one looks like a small tree..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:37 pm
how 'bout?

http://biljoljupci.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/cordyline41ps4mkmz4.jpg
Cordyline terminalis

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Cordyline_terminalis.html
JPB

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:41 pm
another pic of a Ti plant..

http://www.seedman.com/image/w103.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:24 pm
Re: 12.00 plant at grocery store
shewolfnm wrote:
So what is it?

Doomed?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:38 pm
I dunno, I am a dumbbell on houseplants. Something to do with where I lived, just had to walk two feet outdoors.. and indoors, all my pals with apartments were always chasing aphids, etc. So, when I got into landarch, I skipped all that. You have to skip something and pay attention to other choices, there's too much to learn, and people differ with interests.

Now, sometime later, spoiled climate brat gets the interest.

But... I have to steel myself not to buy from grocery stores, or even home depositors, although that might be slightly better. A small plant from a serious nursery has a better chance, and you with it, than a bright green thing from what I think of as rote trash bin suppliers. Not that I don't wish you well with the mystery plant.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:08 am
That picture looks just like my plant.

I generally dont buy plants from grocery stores, home depot, garden centers.. bleeech.

I grow from seed anything i want to have in my garden. Especially things we will eat.

This plant was just... I dont know.. interesting enough for me to fork out the 12.99

Hopefully I can enjoy it for a few weeks before it falls over dead from lack of pro-growth chemicals Im sure it was receiving to make up for this horrible soil it is sitting in .

Though, I have a large beautiful pot that is right now holding fake flowers we use to disguise the look of the litter box.. I may re-pot it.. But that could surely mean its death..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:32 am
Quote:
The ti plant, also known as ti and Hawaiian good-luck-plant, is technically classified as Cordyline terminalis.

<snip>

Light levels can affect appearance of multi-colored ti cultivars. Cultivars like Baby Doll which normally have dark red leaves with a narrow medium red to pink margin, will begin to produce leaves with wider pink margins as the production light intensity is reduced. ... The potting medium utilized for ti plant should be of good quality, and provide excellent aeration and water-holding capacity. Amendments should include a low to moderate level of micronutrients such as 1 lb Micromax/yd3 and sufficient dolomite to adjust medium pH to 5.5 to 6.5. The higher pH has been shown to be beneficial in reducing fluoride toxicity. Suggested air temperatures for best growth are 65°F minimum to 95°F maximum. Ti can tolerate lower and higher temperatures, but growth rate will be reduced. Source

Enjoy!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:44 am
Smile

thank you!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:03 am
It is almost completely dead and I do not know what to do for it.

Im debating moving it outside, but from everything I read, direct light will fry it with in an inch of its life....

??
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:11 am
It's probably a root fungus. As you mentioned earlier, these plants are cranked up on plant drugs by the greenhouses and then sent out to stores. As soon as they don't get their fix they start to wane. Why not try a big ol' Angel Wing Begonia for a tough, colorful, litter box camouflage:

:http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/gallery/thumbnails/begoniaserratipetala.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:15 am
But I LIKE this one..

dag nab it.

I like the idea of having a small tree.
And one that has purple leaves.

Jeezzee.. I hate grocery store plants. Hate them hate them hate them.

In order to save this one I would have to buy some freaking miracle grow ya think?

I aint doin it. No way no how.

Oh well. At least I can have my pot back. Confused
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:19 am
Never fertilize a sick plant, it only stresses them out more. Like people, if you are very sick and want to rest you don't crave a mug of expresso and a shot of B12.
0 Replies