The Vulkanians

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
After many years, two vulkanians meet again in the canteen of the StarFleet-Academy. Their names are Spok and V'Kreeth.
V'Kreeth: "Peace and a long live. How nice is it to meet you again after such a long time - that must have been around 20 years. How do you do, Spok?"
Spok: "Excellent! And what about you?"
V'Kreeth: "Very well, thank you! Did you know that I have 3 children meanwhile?"
Spok: "Really? How old are they?"
V'Kreeth: "As a good logician it should be no problem for you to get the solution quickly. The product of their ages is 36, and the sum of their ages is identical to the number of the house in which you lived on Vulkan, when we have met for the last time."
Spok: "I still live in this house. But only with these pieces of information I can't get a solution."
V'Kreeth: "Oh yes, you're right. Well, the youngest one looks exactly like me."
Spok: "Ah, now I know how old they are."
Do you know the ages of the children too?

Please post an explanation of the solution
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 2
No top replies

thoh13

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 07:27 pm
Re: The Vulkanians
BlackB0Ns wrote:

Do you know the ages of the children too?

Please post an explanation of the solution

The only question posed by the riddle is 'do you know the ages too?'...it does not ask for the ages. therefore the answer is 'no'...it's like that annoying polar bear riddle
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:08 pm
Hi, BlackBONs

There is an answer, albeit slightly flawed.

The only combinations of ages which could give 36 as a product are:

36,1,1 total 38
18,2,1 total 21
9,2,2 total 13
9,4,1 total 14
6,6,1 total 13
6,3,2 total 11
4,3,3 total 10

We can discount the first because the children were born since they last met 20 years ago.
Spok did not have enough information from the first 2 clues to work out their ages. He obviously knows his door number so that must mean that there were 2 combinations that added up to his door number, and the only 2 combinations are:

So he lived at number 13.

The last clue mentions his youngest child, which means that the answer must be 6,6,1 since the other answer gives joint youngest children.

The riddle is flawed because he could have 2 children of 2 years old but born 10 or 11 months apart, so he would still have a "youngest". Even if he had twins of 2 years old, one would have been born first, so the other would still be the youngest, even if only a few minutes younger.
0 Replies