How far away are you now from where you grew up?

Francis

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:20 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
If you can tell me who composed the song "You Can Never Come Down", sometime in the late sixties, ...

Wasn't it Joe Byrd?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
I only now (and by the question of this thread) noticed that I only live three miles more away from where my ancestors lived for 500 years (until 1800) ...

... than from where I grew up (though that's in a different direction).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 02:16 pm
208 years to make three miles, how much does it make per year, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 02:27 pm
Je suis bien implantée, Francis ... Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I worry about Calamity Jane and her apparent abuse of her medication.

Well, you could have had a V8 too! Cool
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
Are you still looking for answers or are we just f***ing around? I grew up approximately 6 blocks from where I live now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:58 pm
Wow, that's a record I think, Swimpy.

What do those of you who live close to where you grew up think about that? We came close to moving to Minneapolis -- E.G. applied for a job that he almost got, but didn't -- and I had decidedly mixed feelings about it. So many people I know from my childhood live there now -- many lived elsewhere for a while and then moved back. My parents live there, and a lot of my extended family. All of that was attractive in some ways and scary in others.

The people I talked to on Sunday that started this thread were kind of rueful about it -- they seemed embarrassed, or something, that they'd lived in once place pretty much their whole lives. But they obviously both had a broad and deep social network.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:17 pm
sozobe wrote:

The people I talked to on Sunday that started this thread were kind of rueful about it -- they seemed embarrassed, or something, that they'd lived in once place pretty much their whole lives. But they obviously both had a broad and deep social network.

Rueful, soz? Not this kid. I'm here because I want to be. Had opportunities to relocate. No thanks. Part of it might be because I really love this place. And part of it might be that I've moved so little in my life that moving seems like a gigantic, monumental thing. Some people who have moved around more than I have probably take a less gargantuan view of moving.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:24 pm
I think if you're going to pick one place to live your whole life, NYC is probably the least embarrassing/ most diverse/ most worldly. A small city outside of Columbus, Ohio is a little different, and I think that's part of what they were rueful about.

I cannot STAND moving qua moving, but I've enjoyed living lots of different places and I think I'd be happier staying here a good long time (as I plan to do) if I've already had those varied experiences. I can imagine feeling a little -- trapped, or something -- if I lived in Minneapolis all the way through. I purposely chose University of Wisconsin over the U of M for that reason, even though it wasn't very far.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:25 pm
sozobe wrote:

What do those of you who live close to where you grew up think about that? We came close to moving to Minneapolis -- E.G. applied for a job that he almost got, but didn't -- and I had decidedly mixed feelings about it. So many people I know from my childhood live there now -- many lived elsewhere for a while and then moved back. My parents live there, and a lot of my extended family. All of that was attractive in some ways and scary in others.

Good friends of mine, the hubby lives next door to where he grew up. His mom still lives there. He wouldn't have it any other way - all his friends that he grew up with still live in pretty much the same neighborhood and he still hangs around with them.

I guess he is set in his ways - his comment about our relocation - I couldn't do - I have a hard time talking with new people (however in a sense we are new to him as we have only known him a few years).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:44 pm
Linkat wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Good friends of mine, the hubby lives next door to where he grew up. His mom still lives there. He wouldn't have it any other way - all his friends that he grew up with still live in pretty much the same neighborhood and he still hangs around with them.

I guess he is set in his ways - his comment about our relocation - I couldn't do - I have a hard time talking with new people (however in a sense we are new to him as we have only known him a few years).

It's OK. I can't say that I wouldn't have it any other way, but it's OK. I had no real choices before I got married. I was a rebelious kid who thought she knew better than her parents about life. So I dropped out of college. Really dumb idea. As John Lennon said, "Life's what happens when you're busy making other plans." Anyway, we have a good life. I went back to college when the kids went to school. I have no regrets.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:11 am
I'm a frail reed blown hither and yon by the capricious winds of fate.

Occasionally I wish I'd taken a road more travelled.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:24 pm
Re: NYC to Bahstin...
JPB wrote:

Brattleboro, Vt til I was 12 then Burlington.

I'm about 40 minutes from Brattleboro, I student taught there. Very Happy

I grew up on the coast of Maine, now living in NH.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:03 am
Jeez - I've lived in Sydney all my life.

Various parts of Sydney - it's a pretty spread out city - people living 50km or more from the centre still consider they live in Sydney - we have serious suburban sprawl.

I now live about as close to the centre of the city as I've ever lived - about 8km (5 mi)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:03 am
I think it depends on where you were born and still live as to whether or not it might be a good thing. Plenty of things to experience in Sydney and New York City so it isn't as if one is living without exposure to the world when staying in such a place all of their life.

I was born in Indiana. Moved to Missouri, Rocheport, Cole Camp, then Columbia for college. Moved to Raleigh NC in '85. Can't imagine having stayed in one place all this time. I can't even picture what classmates that did stay in Cole Camp and Rocheport might be doing now for jobs.

There are times I long for simpler living. My Mom gets along just fine in Conway, perhaps because they still travel a lot.

So, to answer the question, I'm about 1000 miles away from home. (I wish it were 5000 so I could sing that song.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:42 am
I wonder how many of us have traveled from our beginnings in ways that can't be plotted on a map?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:44 am
So true, Noddy. Perhaps I can sing that song afterall... Cool
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 07:57 am
Re: NYC to Bahstin...
Stormwatch wrote:
JPB wrote:

Brattleboro, Vt til I was 12 then Burlington.

I'm about 40 minutes from Brattleboro, I student taught there. Very Happy

I grew up on the coast of Maine, now living in NH.

Yeah, people laugh when I tell them I moved to Chicago to escape harsh winters. People in Chicago only think they know winter...
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:13 am
I live a couple hours from where I was born.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 09:42:33