Hitler: The epitome of transference

coberst

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:40 am
Hitler: The epitome of transference

I have recently watched "The Nazis: A Warning from History". This series of DVDs makes it perfectly clear that the Germany population were handmaidens of Hitler. Hitler and the civilian population had a symbiotic relationship that provides the embodiment of the Freudian theory of transference on both the individual and on the group level.

Freud was the first to focus upon the phenomenon of a patient's inclination to transfer the feelings s/he had toward her parents as a child to the physician. The patient distorts the perception of the physician; s/he enlarges the figure up far out of reason and becomes dependent upon him. In this transference of feeling, which the patient had for his parents, to the physician the grown person displays all the characteristics of the child at heart, a child who distorts reality in order to relieve his helplessness and fears.

Freud saw these transference phenomena as the form of human suggestibility that makes the control over another, as displayed by hypnosis, as being possible. Hypnosis seems mysterious and mystifying to us only because we hide our slavish need for authority from our self. We live the big lie, which lay within this need to submit our self slavishly to another, because we want to think of our self as self-determined and independent in judgment and choice.

The predisposition to hypnosis is identical to that which gives rise to transference and it is characteristic of all sapiens. We could not function as adults if we retained this submissive attitude to our parents, however, this attitude of submissiveness, as noted by Ferenczi, is "The need to be subject to someone remains; only the part of the father is transferred to teachers, superiors, impressive personalities; the submissive loyalty to rulers that is so widespread is also a transference of this sort."

Freud saw immediately that when caught up in groups wo/man became dependent children once again. They abandoned their individual egos for that of the leader; they identified with their leader and proceeded to function with him as their ideal. Freud identified man, not as a herd animal but as a horde (teeming crowd) animal that is led by a chief. Wo/man has an insatiable need for authority.

People have an insatiable need to be hypnotized by authority; they seek a magical protection as when they were infants protected by their mother. This is the force that acts to hold groups together, intertwined within a mutually constructed but often mindless interdependence. This mindless group think also builds a feeling of potency. The members feel a sense of unity within the grasp of their leadership.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Tigershark

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:46 am
Germans have always displayed (in modern times) a flaw in their national psyche, that allows them to be easily manipulated.

Unfortunately for the good of Europe, their old nemesis - the British - have also started succumbing to authoritarianism, albeit being thrust upon them in a far more clandestine way.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 09:07 am
Tigershark wrote:
Germans have always displayed (in modern times) a flaw in their national psyche, that allows them to be easily manipulated.

Unfortunately for the good of Europe, their old nemesis - the British - have also started succumbing to authoritarianism, albeit being thrust upon them in a far more clandestine way.

I suspect you are incorrect. This is a case of ordinary group psychological behavior taken to extremes. A critical thinker can see such actions everywhere only not in such an extreme form. If we are clever we can learn from such happenings.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 01:57 pm
good to know im not part of that type of thinking, i dont follow the crowd.

thats right, im the chief.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:05 pm
Years ago, too many years to remember the title or author, I read something relating to Hitler's reign, that analyzed him not as the stern Prussian father figure, but as a rebellious adolsescent son. I thought there might have been some truth to the author's analysis, since I thought Hitler only worked with the Prussian Generals when he knew he was going to war. But, to gain power he utilized his SA brown shirts that got into more than a few bully boy street fights.

In my opinion, focussing on Hitler as meshing well with some sort of analytical "transference" with Germany seems to ignore the fact that there was fertile soil for his rise to power: the Weimar Republic inflation, the post WWI unemployment, historical rivalry with other European countries that got heady on nationalism earlier, a millenium of anti-Semitism, fear of Bolshevism, not to mention the glorification of the old Teutonic hero images that was part of the Germanic culture/music (operas). Oh yes, let's not forget there was that ethnic German population that lived outside of Germany that would have been the seedling for a colonial Eastern European Germany.

By utilizing this concept of "transference" one might then say the U.S. fought Nazi Germany as "crisis intervention" in a therapeutic modality?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:29 pm
Foofie

I would say that Hitler was both the cause and the symptom. Hitler was obsessive compulsive, he hated the defeat in WWI and he had a deep hatred of Jews and he had some sort of charisma that the German people who also shared his hatred of Jews and a hatred of the results of WWI. The German citizens and Hitler had a symbiotic relationship. Hitler gave the citizens permission to express their hatred and frustration.

I think that this group psychology that is the result of transference is perhaps the greatest problem humans have. I think that we must find some means to defend against this human capacity for transference.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:55 am
coberst wrote:
Foofie

I would say that Hitler was both the cause and the symptom. Hitler was obsessive compulsive, he hated the defeat in WWI and he had a deep hatred of Jews and he had some sort of charisma that the German people who also shared his hatred of Jews and a hatred of the results of WWI. The German citizens and Hitler had a symbiotic relationship. Hitler gave the citizens permission to express their hatred and frustration.

I think that this group psychology that is the result of transference is perhaps the greatest problem humans have. I think that we must find some means to defend against this human capacity for transference.

The feelings that Hitler and the German people had towards Jews were real (regardless of to what degree). The humiliation and detrimental effect to the German economy, of paying exorbitant WWI reparations, was real. Transference is like blaming cognitive dissonance for people changing their attitudes about something. That's how we humans tick. In my opinion, focussing on transference might be abstracting the millions of lives lost to a too cerebral focus. It is also letting the war crimes to possibly be equated to some sort of mental problem. No. There was a war that included slave labor, planned genocide, and plans to turn Eastern Europe into a colonial extension of the Fatherland. This is beyond transference.
0 Replies

paull244

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 01:55 pm
I certainly believe the condition of the society and its vicious that no many people seems to see ( or at least not be willing to see ) are the necessary element of the breeding ground for all the kind of excess , the relativity of the community and its straight performance seems to be one of the primary causes of all kind of social diseases , despite many people ignore the right attitude and conscious of common understanding . guilty and responsibility is not a matter of transference or any other kind of mental state .
0 Replies