Spring comes to my neighborhood . . . *&&**%&

Green Witch

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:38 pm
Re: Spring comes to my neighborhood . . . *&&**%&amp
edgarblythe wrote:
Unfortunately, every **** and jerk in the neighborhood decides it is primo leaf burning weather. Choking on smoke, some of which does not seem like vegetation, I struggle to get the grass along the street cut down. The ground is full of bumps and mud.

What's wrong with those people? Composted leaves are the best plant food in the world - our forests live on composted leaves. Those dopes are probably going to buy Miracle Grow Crap later in the season because they don't know any better. Our local dump has a big compost pile where people who don't have home composting space can drop off their leaves and come back later in the summer to haul away "black gold" for their gardens.

I'm with Dag on the seasons, four is best.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:48 pm
We are in the remnants of a pine forest. Most of those burning leaves are pine needles. We can have lawns and some flowering plants, but, a vegetable garden is out of the queston. My first year here, I planted tomatoes and a few other things. By the time they were getting big enough to think about ripening, the season was over, and I was left with dozens of tomatoes that had to be thrown away. In the front yard, my dog doesnt distinguish between a banana or acacia. She digs them up. So, all my yard is good for is passing through to get to the refrigerator, TV and computer.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:
errr, I'm sighing because spring is approaching, not because of the snow

I prefer winter to spring or summer. Not autumn, though. Autumn's the best - partly because it's a sign that snow should be on its way Cool

My thoughts exactly.

I love the four seasons, but something in me is mourning the passing of winter. I can feel it in the wind now. Spring isn't far off.

But I won't grieve too long. Outdoor swimming pools, here I come!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:39 pm
SPRING ??? are you kidding ?
still plenty of ice and snow on the ground - more snow overnight Shocked
we are being punished for the mild january we had when we were sitting by lake ontario soaking up the sun - now the eastern end of lake ontario is soundly frozen - BRRRR !
waiting for the icebreaker to come up the st. lawrence river - usually the second week of march - always nice to see the icebreaker crunching through the ice .
hbg

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures04/martha-l-black-bow-m-piché.jpg

CAN"T COME SOON ENOUGH !!!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:13 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We are in the remnants of a pine forest. Most of those burning leaves are pine needles. We can have lawns and some flowering plants, but, a vegetable garden is out of the queston.

Lime edgar.

edgarblythe wrote:
My first year here, I planted tomatoes and a few other things. By the time they were getting big enough to think about ripening, the season was over, and I was left with dozens of tomatoes that had to be thrown away.

Green tomato chutney Edgar

edgarblythe wrote:
In the front yard, my dog doesnt distinguish between a banana or acacia. She digs them up. So, all my yard is good for is passing through to get to the refrigerator, TV and computer.

Gun edgar.

Interestingly enough I noted to a work mate yesterday that the air had changed and I thought summer was over.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:16 pm
dadpad wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
We are in the remnants of a pine forest. Most of those burning leaves are pine needles. We can have lawns and some flowering plants, but, a vegetable garden is out of the queston.

Lime edgar.

edgarblythe wrote:
My first year here, I planted tomatoes and a few other things. By the time they were getting big enough to think about ripening, the season was over, and I was left with dozens of tomatoes that had to be thrown away.

Green tomato chutney Edgar

edgarblythe wrote:
In the front yard, my dog doesnt distinguish between a banana or acacia. She digs them up. So, all my yard is good for is passing through to get to the refrigerator, TV and computer.

Gun edgar.

Don't want lime.
Don't like chutney, particularly.
Hard to be mad at such an affectionate dog.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:23 pm
Pizza with fresh mozzarella (I like whole milk type but it's hard to find around here - but Green Witch posted a link on how to make it yourself out of organic milk) and thin sliced green tomatoes... plus garlic and sausage bits if you have or even like sausage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
Sausage is very good.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 09:13 pm
ehBeth wrote:
errr, I'm sighing because spring is approaching, not because of the snow

I prefer winter to spring or summer. Not autumn, though. Autumn's the best - partly because it's a sign that snow should be on its way Cool

Well, that explains your "envious" comment... I was wondering. I like the snow, too, but always look forward to the Spring. Summer is fine if it's not too hot, and I love the Fall, as well. You're right, I am lucky.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 09:26 am
I would like winter as well as any season if it was always daylight savings time. I have always disliked winter because it gets dark early. the cold I don't mind. I lay around like a slug in the winter and am half depressed and out of sorts.

As the weather warms along comes longer days and I energize.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:02 pm
Re: Spring comes to my neighborhood . . . *&&**%&amp
Green Witch wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Unfortunately, every **** and jerk in the neighborhood decides it is primo leaf burning weather. Choking on smoke, some of which does not seem like vegetation, I struggle to get the grass along the street cut down. The ground is full of bumps and mud.

What's wrong with those people? Composted leaves are the best plant food in the world - our forests live on composted leaves. Those dopes are probably going to buy Miracle Grow Crap later in the season because they don't know any better. Our local dump has a big compost pile where people who don't have home composting space can drop off their leaves and come back later in the summer to haul away "black gold" for their gardens.

I was just about to ask the same thing (about composting), Green Witch, but you beat me to it.

Apart from the waste, all that leaf burning must be absolute hell for asthmatics! Shocked

Every fortnight, we have "green garbage day" where I live. You fill your (green-lidded) bin with the garden cuttings you can't use yourself & the council collects it mulches it ... then uses it for street/park mulching when it's ready. Residents can buy it (cheaply) for their own gardens, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:00 am
One family burns a fire daily. They must have to really scrounge to find that much material. I actually look forward to the drought situations, which occur a few times most years, a time when outside burning is forbidden.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:30 am
edgarblythe wrote:
One family burns a fire daily. They must have to really scrounge to find that much material.

They must really be into smoke then, edgar. Too bad about the rest of you!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:46 am
They sit around it and stare into the flames.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:33 pm
not to worry about open fires here !

when we left for the pool this morning at 7:30 it was MINUS 20 C - about minus 5 F .
i plugged the car in last night and it warmed up quickly .
another night of minus 20 C ahead . it should start to go above freezing sometime next week - even some rain in the forecast HURRAY !
i'm thinking of packing away the longjohns - but not yet ! :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:20 pm
Speaking of open fires! One of the apartment buildings at a nearby complex burned to the ground. We have been collecting donations for the displaced all week.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:15 am
edgarblythe wrote:
They sit around it and stare into the flames.

Hmmmmm ....

Confused
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:46 am
dadpad wrote:
Hold up.

We ain't finished with the sun yet.

We sure haven't finished with it.

Summer has been pretty miserable, and wet. Apparently the fault of La Nina.

Today is the official end of summer here - and has at least been fine - but cold-ish, and a fierce wind. I'm down at the beach this week, and had to wear a warm jacket for my walk - but at least better than not being able to walk at all because it's pissing down Confused Too cold for swimming and the surf's up a bit. Water's murky, too - from all the rain.

Tomorrow is autumn Sad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:02 am
margo wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Hold up.

We ain't finished with the sun yet.

Today is the official end of summer here - and has at least been fine - but cold-ish, and a fierce wind. I'm down at the beach this week, and had to wear a warm jacket for my walk - but at least better than not being able to walk at all because it's pissing down Confused Too cold for swimming and the surf's up a bit. Water's murky, too - from all the rain.

Tomorrow is autumn Sad

Was supposed to snow on my mountian last night. It didnt though.

As dry as a chip here cause the Cochroaches and Bannana Benders are HOGGING all the rain.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 05:50 am
I would so like to spend a year in oz, just to experience the different weather situations.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 06:32:18