Halluleah, The Earth is round

raprap

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
You can see it right now---that is if the weather permits and you're in the western hemisphere. Look at the moon---see that dark arc across it, thats the Earth's shadow. From 10 to 11 (EST) the moon will be dark, and if you can find a virgin to sacrifice the circular arc will bring back the moon.

Rap
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,005 • Replies: 20
No top replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:44 am
How can it possibly be round rap. Perfect scientific roundness can only be imagined. To say it's round is as bad as saying the earth is flat because it looks flat which it isn't of course. The way to the pub is definitely not flat and the way back even less so.

And a circular arc can't bring anything back least of all something that hadn't gone away. To bring something back is an entirely human concept and thus inappropriate on a science thread. It's Spirituality you want for stuff like that.

Science stands off human considerations doesn't it? Except maybe on funded-up fossil hunting expeditions with three hot research assistants.

And it's heavy metal voodoo to suggest that this circular arc requires a virgin to be sacrificed to persuade it to relieve our fears.

Christianity reveres the virgin. Sacrificing them is unthinkable.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:46 am
It was quite a show last night. Beautiful Smile
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:48 am
You're right spendi--the earth is flat--the bible told me so. The illusion last night during the lunar eclipse is more of satan's poofism.

Rap
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:51 am
rosborne979 wrote:
It was quite a show last night. Beautiful Smile

Yes it was--particularly when the blue moon during the preumbra part of the eclipse. It was, IMO because of that, more spectacular than the 07 eclipse.

Rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:44 am
The eclipsed moon i saw was not blue, it was red. That was quite a show.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
raprap wrote:
You're right spendi--the earth is flat--the bible told me so. The illusion last night during the lunar eclipse is more of satan's poofism.

Rap
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hey raprap
I only knew about the eclipse due to your post so Thank You Very Happy

I kept trying to get outside last night to see this eclipse and the phone kept ringing. People kept calling asking "Have you seen the moon?". 6 calls later, and I am not kidding, I finally got outside. I missed most of it, but the moon had a really neat orange tint to it from where I am at.

and then I thought "the camera" so I took pictures of what was left.......

A song to go with the pictures Very Happy
Frank Sinatra - Fly Me to the Moon Lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAsoLm1Ges

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5229/moon1ir2.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7972/moon2do5.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2050/moon3ra4.jpg
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
Blue moon, well turquoise actually, comes right before the totality of the umbra, where the moon shadow turns red--the color is light reflected off of the Earth (the atmosphere absorbed blue light). However, in the preumbra, the moon is not totally in reflected light, the ozone in the atmosphere reflects some light directly to the moons surface. This effect is a really rare event and only happens is special lunar eclipses. Last night was one of those.

An explanation of this event is covered in this Nasa bulletin.

Rap
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:58 am
rap wrote-

Quote:
You're right spendi--the earth is flat--

I wrote-

Quote:
it looks flat which it isn't of course. The way to the pub is definitely not flat and the way back even less so.

Are you a speed reader rap?

Does the Bible say the earth is flat?

Doesn't a perfect snooker table have to curve in the same way as the earth underneath it in order to be flat? Is there an "oranges and apples" difference between geometrical flatness and nature's flatness.

If you placed a snooker table 3 ft above the dead-centre of the earth wouldn't it need to be nearly semi-circular for the balls to run true?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:20 pm
raprap, I saw the moon approx. 7:00-7:30 PST and it looked orange. Even in this picture from nasa, it looks orange to me, not red.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/images/lunareclipse/koehn_EST.jpg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:26 pm
Oh, in reading more of the article you linked it stated:
"The exact tint--anything from bright orange to blood red is possible--depends on the unpredictable state of the atmosphere at the time of the eclipse. "Only the shadow knows," says astronomer Jack Horkheimer of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium."

So, to me it was orange.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:27 pm
It's to do with pollution in the atmosphere I gather. It isn't actually that colour.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:29 pm
Spendi---Would these be possible unless the earth was flat?

Quote:
"take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it (Job 38:12-13)

"The earth takes shape like clay under a seal." (Job 38:14)

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
(Matthew 4:1-12)

The visions of my head as I lay in bed were these: I saw, and behold, a tree in the midst of the earth; and its height was great. The tree grew and became strong, and its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the end of the whole earth. (Daniel 4:10-11)

Iff'n I remember this right these are from both the olde' (JOB and Daniel) and new testaments (Matthew). Consequently iff'n the bible is not inerrant, then the earth is flat, and the lunar eclipse is just more of Satan's poofism.

QED

It's just a continuation of logical scientific biblical thinkerering----

Rap
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:37 pm
The appearance of the eclipse depends upon a number of things: atmospheric conditions at your site, the placement of the moon, and maybe most importantly, your own eyes. Some people see color better than others, some people see some colors better than other colors, etc.

I have been an active amateur astronomy for 35+? years (some years a lot more active than others) and have only seen the blue phase three or four times. I didn't watch this eventÂ…too coldÂ…and of course, the blue phase appears. To add some corroberation to RapRap's report, for what its worth, a fair number of amateurs are reporting the blue phase this time.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
TTH wrote:
Oh, in reading more of the article you linked it stated:
"The exact tint--anything from bright orange to blood red is possible--depends on the unpredictable state of the atmosphere at the time of the eclipse. "Only the shadow knows," says astronomer Jack Horkheimer of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium."

So, to me it was orange.

You're right of course--it turned red to me when the eclipse became total, but the blue was what caught my initial attentions. BTW if you ever can get to a place where you have a clear view of the sunset---look for the green flash just as the sun sets--its rare but amazing enough to look for it---I've seen it once and consider myself blessed--and I'm not even Irish.

http://jef.raskincenter.org/main/pictures/img/GreenFlashAndContrail.jpg

Explanation wiki

Rap
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
No Q.E.D. there I'm afraid rap. Sorry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:13 pm
spendius wrote:
It's to do with pollution in the atmosphere I gather. It isn't actually that colour.

According to the astronomers interviewed by the CBC, the red coloration is a result of the "red" light effects in those portions of the atmosphere where the apparent local event is sunrise or sunset. None of these gentlemen mentioned pollution. Spurious strikes again.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:25 pm
Usually it is overcast where I am. I just wish I had the camera with me when I saw the moon all in bright orange. btw I took those pictures from my driveway with that Canon which I still have yet to read the instructions Embarrassed
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:28 pm
Discretion.

The colour a person sees might be a function of their residence's proximity to a steel works.

Still- experts who Settin' Ah-ah has seen constitute authority I suppose so I'll bow to their opinion. If he's seen it on telly there's an end to it.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:29 pm
spendius wrote:
No Q.E.D. there I'm afraid rap. Sorry.

Just using the Discovery Institute as my guide.

So If my argument is a specious as yours please tell me so.

BTW I'm more into the arcs of darts than the planes of pool (snooker), that way I can play while keeping a grip on my suds.

Rap
0 Replies