Surprisingly Quiet Local Response to Fidel Castro's Exit

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:02 am
'Miami Herald' Finds Surprisingly Quiet Local Response to Fidel's Exit
By E&P Staff
Published: February 19, 2008

Some might have expected Little Havana in Miami, or nearby Hialeah, to erupt with dancing in the streets or some other celebrations today with news that Cuba's leader Fidel Castro had announced he was stepping down at long last.

But the main Miami Herald article is its miami.com Web site found that calm and caution prevailed. Here is an excerpt.

Many Cuban Americans expressed optimism tempered by caution Tuesday after awakening to news that Fidel Castro is stepping down as Cuba's official leader after nearly a half century.

''In a year or so, I think, we will see some change,'' Luis Garcia, 75, said as he stood in front of the Versailles Restaurant, a landmark in Miami's Little Havana neighborhood. ``Fidel no longer has the ability to run a country. He's very ill.''

Regina Botello, another customer at the restaurant, said: ``It's the best thing that could have happened on this 19th of February. It's the first step toward real change.''

Others were more skeptical. ''The only sign of change will come when he dies,'' Roberto Perez, who left the island nearly 40 years ago, said of Castro. ``That's the only thing that matters.''

Several prominent members of the exile community urged Cuban Americans to dismiss the announcement as largely meaningless.

''This is nothing but a show the Havana governnent has put on to move the media and confuse the people of Cuba,'' said Miguel Saavedra, head of the anti-Castro group Vigilia Mambisa. ``The only change would be an overthrow of the system, a complete uprooting of the regime.''

Hialeah Mayor Julio Robaina, who runs Florida's fifth largest city, played down the news that he first heard by telephone at 5:15 a.m. -- and he said he was not expecting a major reaction. ''All's quiet,'' he said of his city of 236,000 people. ``This is just official confirmation of what we knew 18 or 19 months ago.

''It's a transfer of power from one brother to the other . . .,'' Robaina said. ``Short of the two Castro brothers leaving the island or dying, you're not going to get a strong reaction from this community.''

He said Hialeah has a ''coordinated plan'' for the day when Cuban Americans believe real change has finally occurred on the island.

''We have a plan that will protect people's life and safety firs,t but will allow them to show their emotions and reactions,'' he said. ``Right now we're not expecting any demonstrations or celebrations.''

A few people waved flags or honked their cars' horns, but little jubilation seemed evident as regular customers trickled into the Versailles and other restaurants and open-air coffee stands along Calle Ocho, Little Havana's main artery.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 656 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:06 pm
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 04:58 pm
Quote:
Fidel Castro: Still a hero for many
By Jack Chang

Last year's poll ranked Castro last among 12 of the hemisphere's leaders in popular approval, with Chavez, President Bush and Peruvian President Alan Garcia, tying for second to last.

Yeah, and George W. Bush is still a hero for many, too.

OK, actually Fidel has a more important place in history than GWB.

You'd have to hear the old Horse of lately. He sounds completely senile, with jumps and lapses in his reasoning.
It was an obvious move, and he inherits the throne to his comparatively impopular bro.
But Fidel still heads the Cuban Communist Party, a signal that there is a Keeper of the Faith.

49 years 1 month and 19 days in power.

Things will change slowly at first. Let's hope the next US President has a sound policy towards Cuba. A policy that truly helps for a democratic transition (a FOREIGN policy, not a let's-appease-our-local-interest-groups one).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:05 pm
(listening)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:15 pm
So after numerous attempts to kill him or depose him or generally get rid of him, Fidel Castro has stepped down of his own will after seeing off

Eisenhower
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Bush 2

I make that Cuba 9 USA 0.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:34 pm
Me, I remember some link I saved sometime ago about a guy who patched together a mercato (sp), with home grown produce in difficult circumstances - and remember that I liked something about that article about other than the scrappiness, which is an obvious like for me .. the usefulness of his model. Probably in the NYT, who knows.

I'm presently reading Peter Robb re northeast Brazil. Learning a lot, as a start, if not gospel of one kind or another. He's a visitor, an able writer whom I like to read. An eye for me.

I suspect that the cubans who have weathered all this have things to tell us, not all in our (e.g., US) favor and not all in Castro's favor. We should all shut up and learn.

Also, longer ago, back when I lived as a child in Evanston among, it seems in retrospect, mostly irish and germans,
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:19 am
Global Views on Castro and Cuba
Global Views on Castro and Cuba
by Richard Auxier, Research Assistant, Pew Research Center
February 19, 2008

Fidel Castro ends his long tenure as president of Cuba with international opinion mixed on the question of whether his leadership has been good or bad for his country. While Americans have an overwhelmingly negative view of Castro, attitudes in many Latin American countries are far more favorable to the longtime Cuban leader. The Pew Global Attitudes survey in the spring of 2007, for example, found that pluralities in Bolivia (42%), Brazil (39%), Argentina (39%), and Peru (38%) think Castro has had a positive effect on his country.

Opinion in Canada is also positive towards Castro, with 44% saying that his leadership has been good for Cuba, the highest percentage among the nine countries surveyed about Castro. Even there, however, opinion is mixed, with 36% saying he has been bad for his country.

Criticism of Castro in Latin America is most intense in Mexico (61% negative vs. 17% positive) and Venezuela (55% negative vs. 26% positive), where clear majorities see his leadership as harmful to his country. Chile is the only other country in Latin America where the balance of opinion is more negative (46%) than positive (23%).

While Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, an ally of the former Cuban president, retained the confidence of more than half of his people at the time of the Pew survey, even those who support Chavez have a mixed view of the Cuban leader. Only 43% of Chavez supporters say Castro has been good for Cuba, while 30% say he has been bad.

Well before Castro resigned as president this week (February 19), it was known that he was suffering from a severe illness. In July 2006, Castro handed over power temporarily to his brother, Raúl Castro, and a few younger cabinet ministers, after he underwent emergency abdominal surgery. According to the New York Times many Cubans long ago accepted the fact that he would never be able to return to power fully.

With Castro's health in question, respondents to the 2007 survey were asked whether conditions in Cuba would improve, worsen, or not change when Castro died. Very few voice the opinion that Cuba would be worse off, but in no country -- including America -- does a majority state that the country would improve following Castro's exit. In the United States, Mexico and Chile -- three countries with highly negative views of Castro -- pluralities of four-in-ten (40%) say things would get better in Cuba once Castro passes away. Nearly as many, however, believe Castro's death will not make a difference (34% in the U.S. and Chile, 28% in Mexico).

In all nine countries surveyed on the question, more people say conditions in Cuba will improve after Castro than say they would worsen, although in four countries (Canada, Argentina, Bolivia, and Brazil) a plurality expresses the view that Castro's death would not change things much. Brazil is the most pessimistic country, with 24% saying conditions would deteriorate in Cuba after Castrol died, but that was still less than the 26% that say that things there would improve. Only 9% of Americans say conditions in Cuba would worsen after Castro's death, the lowest number of all countries surveyed.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 09:40 am
Re: Fidel Castro: Still a hero for many
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Fidel Castro: Still a hero for many'

Sadly, ignorance and ideological zeal are hard to get rid of.

So was Fidel Castro, but finally he's gone now. Good riddance!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 09:49 am
Thomas wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I'm not sure he's really gone. Is he still head of the communist party?

BBB
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 08:35 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Thomas wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I'm not sure he's really gone. Is he still head of the communist party?

BBB

He still is.

And there will be no big changes while he's alive.

As I wrote, his last role will be that of Keeper of the Faith.
Just like Ayatollah Rojulah Khomeini in his last days.
0 Replies