What is Hell?

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:25 am
What is hell? Is it a creation of man meant to frighten the faithful into submission? Is it separation from God in the afterlife? Is it a place of punishment and agony? Does it even exist?

What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:26 am
Shouldn't you be in bed?

Or just gettin some fresh air or something?
0 Replies

Primotivo

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:29 am
I can't sleep.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:31 am
oh fair enough

me neither
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:08 am
If one were told to 'go to hell' in the 17th century, one would have no doubt thought you were consigning him (or her) to the root cellar.

The similarities between the words hell and hole are more than coincidence.

The Hebrew word 'sheol', translated as hell in the OT simply means 'the grave' and has no connotation of punishment or conscious existence.

As does the Greek word 'hades', apart from the ruminations of some philosophers.

The confusion about fire and brimstone derives from the Jewish practice of consigning the dead bodies of criminals as well as garbage to the valley of Hinnom on the outskirts of Jerusalem, where sulfurous fires were kept burning in what must have been a most dreadful garbage dump. From that we get the word 'gehenna', also translated as 'hell'.

The idea of a conscious afterlife was not known to the Hebrews and early Christians. (See Ecclesiastes 9:5)

edited
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:45 pm
+1, neo. Well said.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:48 pm
a bottle of patron with a hole in it and a woman without one.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:00 pm
Around here, we say: Hell is other people.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:57 pm
Hell is not being able to French kiss a frog.
0 Replies

Primotivo

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:49 pm
neologist wrote:
If one were told to 'go to hell' in the 17th century, one would have no doubt thought you were consigning him (or her) to the root cellar.

The Hebrew word 'sheol', translated as hell in the OT simply means 'the grave' and has no connotation of punishment or conscious existence.

As does the Greek word 'hades', apart from the ruminations of some philosophers.

The confusion about fire and brimstone derives from the Jewish practice of consigning the dead bodies of criminals as well as garbage to the valley of Hinnom on the outskirts of Jerusalem, where sulfurous fires were kept burning in what must have been a most dreadful garbage dump. From that we get the word 'gehenna', also translated as 'hell'.

The idea of a conscious afterlife was not known to the Hebrews and early Christians. (See Ecclesiastes 9:5)

edited

This all can't be true. It doesnt say it in the bible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 11:16 pm
Primotivo wrote:
neologist wrote:

edited

This all can't be true. It doesn't say it in the bible.
Doesn't say what?

Read Genesis 2:17 and tell me what the punishment would be for disobedience. NO roasting, toasting, baking, or broiling mentioned here. Only death. (Compare Romans 5:12)

If something worse than death were to be a consequence, it would have only been fair to have mentioned it there, don't you think?

Does the soul survive death?

Man doesn't have a soul. Man is a soul. (Genesis 2:7)

As are animals. (Genesis 1:24)

And, souls die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

Sorry if the preachers never took the time to tell you that.

You don't really trust preachers, do you?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:55 am
Hell is a world where men have created god in there own image and and to their own will.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:24 am
HELL:

To me ,hell is having to listen to EDWARDS debate for at least one hour.

That VOICE and that ACCENT...Lord!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Primotivo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:51 pm
neologist wrote:
Primotivo wrote:
neologist wrote:

edited

This all can't be true. It doesn't say it in the bible.
Doesn't say what?

Read Genesis 2:17 and tell me what the punishment would be for disobedience. NO roasting, toasting, baking, or broiling mentioned here. Only death. (Compare Romans 5:12)

If something worse than death were to be a consequence, it would have only been fair to have mentioned it there, don't you think?

Does the soul survive death?

Man doesn't have a soul. Man is a soul. (Genesis 2:7)

As are animals. (Genesis 1:24)

And, souls die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

Sorry if the preachers never took the time to tell you that.

You don't really trust preachers, do you?

my sarcasm escapes you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:49 am
Primotivo wrote:
. . . my sarcasm escapes you.
Perhaps.

But, without having read more of your posts, I have no way of knowing if you are genuine . . .
or, as many on this board,
geniunely obtuse.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:06 am
If there was no concept of hell, would there be less incentive to believe in God?

I think that if there was no notion of hell, there would be a lot less people believing in God.

Hell, is one big incentive to believe in God, and that is why most evangelist's do what they do, because they don't want people going to hell, so they preach to people, so they can "save" them.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:02 am
Intellectually I do not believe in hell... but I have enough residual fear of it to keep me from doing certain things so I guess that's a good thing. A couple of times in my life I've been suicidal and refrained only because I didn't want to traumatize my children and because I feared there might, just maybe be a hell and I'd go there.

Which is probably going to happen anyway if there is one, but why be in a hurry?

They say in the bible that the lake of fire is called the second death which would indicate to me that one might be tossed into it and cease to exist, thereby missing out on eternal life in paradise with God.... that's my read anyway... just ceasing to exist.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:35 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Intellectually I do not believe in hell... but I have enough residual fear of it to keep me from doing certain things so I guess that's a good thing. A couple of times in my life I've been suicidal and refrained only because I didn't want to traumatize my children and because I feared there might, just maybe be a hell and I'd go there.

Which is probably going to happen anyway if there is one, but why be in a hurry?

They say in the bible that the lake of fire is called the second death which would indicate to me that one might be tossed into it and cease to exist, thereby missing out on eternal life in paradise with God.... that's my read anyway... just ceasing to exist.
And you would be right. Eventually, even death is tossed into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:14)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:56 am
Re: What is Hell?
Primotivo wrote:
What is hell?

It's where demokkkrats go when they die. Why??
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:03 am
and we're forced to have sex with all of gunga's female relatives.... it's horrific...
0 Replies