Copying a DVD Which Failed to Finalize

CDobyns

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:54 am
I'm going to build on of the topic of a prior posting (Organizing DVD's), where my wife is engaged in a massive VHS to DVD transfer project. BTW, she did decide to go with the vinyl plastic sleeves to organize and store her now-converted DVDs. The sleeves are available at both Staples and Office Depot - although they're not what I would call inexpensive.

Today issue is about a failed copying effort where four separate movies were successfully copied to a DVD, but on the fifth movie - the process unexpectedly aborted, and while the prior four movies were maintained intact, the fifth one is nowhere to be found on the disk, and more significantly, now the DVD appears unwilling to be "finalized". I examined the disk and checked for any physical problems and cleaned it thoroughly, but without success.

As most of you will know, finalizing makes the DVD "transportable", and playable on any DVD player. We figured we would just circumvent this problem by retaping the DVD content back over onto a VHS tape, and starting a new DVD disk. Unfortunately, my Panasonic DVR will not recognize a DVD as being available to be copied until it has been finalized. Any other suggestions on how we can 1) force the system to finalize the DVD or 2) push the content of the DVD onto some other media, so that we can then recopy it back onto a non-damaged DVD disk?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,784 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:42 am
Do you have a DVD burner on your computer?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:14 am
First question is - Can you browse the DVD on your computer?

IF so then it is a simple process to find the .vob files and burn them to a new DVD.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:18 am
DVD player, yes. DVD burner, no.

I thought about the computer angle though. Any other non-DVD burner options to consider (or at least ones that don't involve me standing on my head in terms of complexity).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:56 am
The only thing I can think of without a burner on your PC would be to just consider the disc a coaster, and redo the copying of the VHS tapes.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:03 pm
Without a burner on your computer then the next step would be to see if you can play them on your computer. If so then it is a question of video outs on your computer. If you have an svideo output on your computer and an svideo input on your stand alone DVD burner then you have no problem other than connecting the two. Any other option probably requires standing on your head.

If you are comfortable opening your computer and adding a DVD burner. That might be the cheapest way to go, about $25 US.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 01:02 pm
Okay, standing on my head is appearing to be the most likely option at this point.

The further bads news that makes the recovery issue more semi-pertinent, is that the VHS tapes that held the original movies have since (perhaps prematurely) been recorded over.

I'm fully capable of installing a DVD burner, but to try to recover a couple of movies (from the 30's or 40's) which were free and which will likely pop up on American Movie Classics eventually anyway - makes that all seem like an unncessary and extraordinary effort.

I'll keep my "virtual" ears open for any other suggestions, but at the worst, the DVD is still playable from the original DVR unit - so the content is not what I would call a total loss. I may be able to reach out to others at work that may have a burner capability and be willing to effect a transfer for me.
0 Replies