Are dog shoes and other footwear for dogs ridiculous?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 04:06 pm
groannnnnnn to vid!

~~~

I have finally convinced Bailey that a vest is a good idea on wet/snow days. Perhaps he'll come around on the booties. But I was getting tired of carrying them home.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:38 pm
"Human servants" is right, hamburger.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:22 am
There is a line between silly and not so big a deal, and "the owner needs a wallop". Smile

http://gigglesugar.com/982423

Bootsies in the real cold gets a high paw from me! Equally horrifying to the extreme dress-up, is those poor pups that get left out all day and night in the freezing cold with not even a dog house.

Even my bearded collie was let inside in bad cold, and he was a walking fur ball. It's their poor paws that go popsicle first.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:04 am
Shoes protect the feet from frost -bite in the Winter and in the Summer, when dogs have to walk on red hot sidewalks, the shoes are likewise protective.

I've never bought shoes for my dogs but I have bought many sweaters.

There's a giant market for dog supplies, so it looks like most dog owners love their babies enough to want to protect them from getting hurt in both the Summer and Winter.

Some dog owners love their animals more than many parents love their children or even their spouses. :wink:
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:47 am
I would never dress up my dog on a regular basis. She is a dog, not a doll. The only purpose I see to use dog booties is for protection of their paws (extreme weather, hazardous conditions, etc)
(I dressed my dog up only once and it was for Halloween and to take a picture. Then I took the costume thingy off right away)

I have nothing against other people dressing up their dogs as long as the dog doesn't get hurt.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
naw, the summer sun can make asphalt blistering. but they look ridiculous
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:31 pm
Link to SF Chronicle article
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Link to SF Chronicle article

German Police Dogs to Wear Shoes
Monday, February 25, 2008

(02-25) 12:20 PST BERLIN, Germany (AP) --
Police dogs in the western city of Duesseldorf will no longer get their feet dirty when on patrol — the entire dog unit will soon be equipped with blue plastic fiber shoes, a police spokesman said Monday.

"All 20 of our police dogs — German and Belgian shepherds — are currently being trained to walk in these shoes," Andre Hartwich said. "I'm not sure they like it, but they'll have to get used to it."

The unusual footwear is not a fashion statement, Hartwich said, but rather a necessity due to the high rate of paw injuries on duty. Especially in the city's historical old town — famous for both its pubs and drunken revelers — the dogs often step into broken beer bottles.

"Even the street-cleaning doesn't manage to remove all the glass pieces from between the streets' cobble stones," Hartwich said, adding that the dogs frequently get injured by little pieces sticking deep in their paws.

The dogs will start wearing the shoes this spring but only during operations that demand special foot protection. The shoes comes in sizes small, medium and large and were ordered in blue to match the officers uniforms, Hartwich said.

"Now we just have to teach the dogs how to tie their shoes," he joked.

I can hear them whimpering in shame from here...

And not even in city black!!!! Or camouflage colour!!!!!
0 Replies