Are dog shoes and other footwear for dogs ridiculous?

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:18 pm
Ok, I'm not talking about functional shoes like sled dogs use, but "fashion" motivated dog shoes.

My girlfriend bought our dog some shoes. I thought he'd kill himself but doesn't seem to mind them too much and looks funny as hell (sounds like a horse when he runs too).

He can't keep them on long enough to be useful (runs till they fall off or when he rests he tugs the laces) so the girl says they are for going out. I think I'd die of embarrassment to walk a dog with shoes.

So, does anyone here support shoes for dogs at all? Other than being a little cleaner (less sticks to the shoes than his fur) I'm not sure what utility they serve and am concerned that they can be bad for him (they don't seem to be designed for health or comfort, just for the looks to the owners).

Anywho, I'm mainly looking for good excuses to not have to be seen with a dog wearing shoes (or any clothes).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,461 • Replies: 27
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:26 pm
When we had our dog ( Buttercup, a Golden Retriever ) we had shoes for her.
When we would walk her, I would have her wear shoes because there is A LOT of glass in the streets around here ( damn ghetto kids) and I was concerned for her feet. Too often, she would get small cuts in her foot and I wouldn't know it until 2 or 3 days later.

Ridiculous?
ohhhhh yeah they were . She hated them, but I hated having her cooped up even more.

I tried to send my husband out walking with her more , and his response was
" that dog looks like she belongs to Richard Simmons.. I aint walkin her with those shoes.. "
The he would dance around like Richard and I would die laughing..

I ended up walking her all the time Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:51 pm
I do not have the words to express my feelings about such frou-frou horrors as shoes for dogs, (unless they require special protection for some reason) fluffy loo covers, wittle doggy clothes, toilet roll dolly covers and such-like.

I would die of embarrassment to accompany a dog so be-decked in public.

I suspect you're between a rock and a hard place, though. :wink: Laughing Laughing

You'll probably be a better man for it, you know.....what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Of course, you could always wear a disguise yourself, when on doggy-shoe outings.....

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2207228/2/istockphoto_2207228_afghnistan_walking_women_with_burkha.jpg

or this:

http://www.freedom-in-education.co.uk/newsletter06/beard.jpg

or the economy version

http://images1.comstock.com/Imagewarehouse/RF/SITECS/NLWMCompingVersions/0075000/75000-75499/KS75296.JPG
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:55 pm
http://www.shoeblog.com/components/com_jd-wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dog-shoes-1.jpg

DOG SHOES
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:55 pm
or this

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g87/thadrunkchick/richardsimmons1xr6rq1.jpg
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:59 pm
Aughhh!!!

My eyes !!!!

What's happened to my eyes ???
0 Replies

CalamityJane

What happened to Buttercup, shewolf?

Well, I tried to put some socks on our dog, as he always was chewing
up his paws, but that didn't last long. The minute I put them on, he
tried to get them off again, but he's so darn cute, we forgive him..

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8199/maxlug3.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

shewolfnm wrote:
or this

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g87/thadrunkchick/richardsimmons1xr6rq1.jpg

I think that one might draw attention TO the poor bastard, rather than disguise his shame and humiliation!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
The hamburgers bought Muttluks for Bailey, and Setanta bought several pairs of another variety of winter boot for both dogs. They hate 'em.

When I was still willing to try using them, I'd invariably come home carrying between 3 and 7 of the 8 boots.

The dogs couldn't seem to connect the benefits (no ice balls between the pads of their feet/no salt burns) of the boots with the boots. They hate 'em.

I wouldn't consider them for 'fashion' or the look, but I was willing to try it for health/safety/comfort for the dogs.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:08 pm
It's just a silly idea. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:54 pm
To try to actually be helpful, and serious:

I cannot imagine that shoes can be good for a dog long term.

Their feet are presumably well evolved to help their bodies with movement, and I would imagine that consistently interfering with the way their toes and pads work to facilitate their walking and running could cause problems for them over time.

Of course, they are not designed for hard pavements, but unless there is good evidence of problems for Harry sans shoes, I would think that they would be a right pain in the bum for him in enjoying his runs, and possibly deleterious for him over time....much as bad shoes are for humans.

Dogs don't have a keratinous foot, like a horse for instance, which splits and thus requires shoeing when worked on harsh surfaces.

Let his tootsies go!

Of course, Patio or Cowdoc would know way more about this than I do...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 04:08 pm
We bought "shoes" (booties, actually) for the little dogs, because when it is snowy and very cold, they can get ice balls in the fur of their feet which lame them, and whether it is extremely cold or not, the ice-melt salt on streets and sidewalks burns the pads of their feet.

They won't wear 'em . . . don't waste your time . . . even if you can get the booties on their feet, they'll shed 'em as fast as they can . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 05:07 pm
I can see warm stuff for dogs in cold climes, and can imagine footsie usefulness here in the land of sand and goat's head sticker things that make walking a dog a trip in watchfulness re the dog suddenly being in foot pain.
(I thought Pacco had some horrible seizure or something, and his paws had goat's heads gathered, yikes. Luckily, he just stopped.

Otherwise I can only giggle and snort... particularly imagining Robert Gentel being the dog walker.

Photos!!!!!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:00 am
We're on our fourth or fifth set of fleece-lined Muttluks (mentioned by ehBeth above), for the reasons mentioned by Setanta, ice balls between the toes and salt on the streets and sidewalks. He's used to the boots and doesn't mind them at all. All we have to say is, "Boots", and he comes running, lifting one paw after the other so we can put them on. He wears a fleece jacket, too, on the coldest Winnipeg days.

He's clipped short every five to six weeks because of our allergies so he doesn't have a warm, natural doggy coat, poor guy!

Basically a necessity, not a fashion statement. Though we are colour-coordinated! Ha!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:54 am
I had an Irish Setter who was a veritable poppinjay about wearing People Clothes: sweatshirts, necklaces, boots, frilly bloomers. She liked dressing up. Halloween was her favorite holiday (unless the kids left their Christmas candy within her reach).

Mind, this is also a dog who would climb up on a straight kitchen chair to join in a coffee klatch without refreshments.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:06 am
mckenzie wrote :

Quote:
All we have to say is, "Boots", and he comes running, lifting one paw after the other so we can put them on.

that's probably the trick to get the dog to wear booties .
it has to be connected with something the dog ENJOYS !
both cleo and bailey have fairly independent minds but LOVE going out .
so we should probably have connected the boots with going out - they are probably too old and stubborn by now to change - they are much like their human servants Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 03:16 pm
I also think that, unless really a health issue for dogs, that, given they are all about sensuality.........revelling in smells, and digging, and all the contact with the world their bodies can give them, that fashion boots would really hamper their doggy happiness by limiting their contact with the world.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 03:24 pm
dlowan wrote ;

Quote:
I also think that, unless really a health issue for dogs, that, given they are all about sensuality.........revelling in smells, and digging, and all the contact with the world their bodies can give them, that fashion boots would really hamper their doggy happiness by limiting their contact with the world.

keep in mind that in canada we are taking about snow (about two feet on the ground right now - even in the cities) , ICE and the darn' road salt - that even eats automobiles and snowboots alive .
hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 03:42 pm
hamburger wrote:
dlowan wrote ;

Quote:

keep in mind that in canada we are taking about snow (about two feet on the ground right now - even in the cities) , ICE and the darn' road salt - that even eats automobiles and snowboots alive .
hbg

Oh I get Canada. I'm not being mean to people trying to protect their dogs' paws from real harm.

Rob is asking re Costa Rica and "fashion" shoes.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 03:53 pm
My reckoning is that they should only wear this brand.
0 Replies